Question About: Anxiety After Stroke

katherinejones

Since my father's stroke he's made a lot of progress physically. But at night, he's been waking up very frightened and anxious. He has apraxia, so he can't tell us what's going on, but he seems to be in a state of real panic. What could be causing these attacks and what can we do to help him?

I had asked for some expert advice in <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.caring.com/questions/anxiety-after-stroke">caring.com</a>, but I would like to have more suggestions with me so that I can decide on how to deal with my situation.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kathy

katherinejones

Since my father's stroke he's made a lot of progress physically. But at night, he's been waking up very frightened and anxious. He has apraxia, so he can't tell us what's going on, but he seems to be in a state of real panic. What could be causing these attacks and what can we do to help him?

I had asked for some expert advice in <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.caring.com/questions/anxiety-after-stroke">caring.com</a>, but I would like to have more suggestions with me so that I can decide on how to deal with my situation.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kathy

katherinejones

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kathy

katherinejones

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kathy

katherinejones

<br />
<br />I had asked for some expert advice in <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.caring.com/questions/anxiety-after-stroke">caring.com</a>, but I would like to have more suggestions with me so that I can decide on how to deal with my situation.
<br />
<br />Please advice.
<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />Kathy

JazzysMom

My Dad had a few minor strokes & then a massive one that actually put him into the hospital.

He also had anxiety & panic strokes after. I think it was from his inability to communicate. It also was probably knowing he would never be the same.

You could see the dispair in his eyes. He passed away while in the hospital from a heart attack & in many ways it was a relief.

The only thing that kind of helped is when we spoke with him. I dont remember them giving him meds. IF they did it would have been surprising as I dont think anyone except the family (especially me) knew he was having anxiety or could see it.

The Nurses probably thought he was just being a defiant patient since he kept pulling out his catheter, NG tube etc. They secured his hands because of this.

He would have slowly died anyway even if his body held up.

BTW I am not sure if you have CF or not, but given your new membership, no intro & the topic you posted....I am just verifying that you are on the correct board!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

My Dad had a few minor strokes & then a massive one that actually put him into the hospital.

He also had anxiety & panic strokes after. I think it was from his inability to communicate. It also was probably knowing he would never be the same.

You could see the dispair in his eyes. He passed away while in the hospital from a heart attack & in many ways it was a relief.

The only thing that kind of helped is when we spoke with him. I dont remember them giving him meds. IF they did it would have been surprising as I dont think anyone except the family (especially me) knew he was having anxiety or could see it.

The Nurses probably thought he was just being a defiant patient since he kept pulling out his catheter, NG tube etc. They secured his hands because of this.

BTW I am not sure if you have CF or not, but given your new membership, no intro & the topic you posted....I am just verifying that you are on the correct board!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />He also had anxiety & panic strokes after. I think it was from his inability to communicate. It also was probably knowing he would never be the same.
<br />
<br />You could see the dispair in his eyes. He passed away while in the hospital from a heart attack & in many ways it was a relief.
<br />
<br />The only thing that kind of helped is when we spoke with him. I dont remember them giving him meds. IF they did it would have been surprising as I dont think anyone except the family (especially me) knew he was having anxiety or could see it.
<br />
<br />The Nurses probably thought he was just being a defiant patient since he kept pulling out his catheter, NG tube etc. They secured his hands because of this.
<br />
<br />He would have slowly died anyway even if his body held up.
<br />
<br />BTW I am not sure if you have CF or not, but given your new membership, no intro & the topic you posted....I am just verifying that you are on the correct board!
<br />
<br />Good Luck!