Question about diabetes testing

nocode

Hi,

I am pancreatic sufficient (no enzymes) and standard diabetes tests always indicate normal values (no diabetes). But I had an appointment with my doc this morning and he said that there is a new way to test for diabetes which consists of inserting a small chip in your belly area and leave it there for 3 days. This chip will monitor glucose levels 24/7 for the 3 days that it's there.

He said that 3 of his patients who did not have diabetes as per standard test, turned out to have diabetes according to this chip test.

Is this familiar to you?

Also, I asked him a few questions about insulin and he said that CF patients only have to inject insulin once a day and do not need to monitor their levels all the time. Is this accurate? Is CFRD management relatively easy? I understand it may vary from person to person.

Thanks for your input!!

Printer

I inject 5mg of insulin every morning. I check levels when I inject and again just before supper. So far CFRD is very easy to manage.

I am not familar with the chip.

Bill

Vaultboy

hi, i got that chip for 7 days when i started prednisone. (you wrote in another post some weeks ago that your on prednisone for a short time now, right? your bloodsuger levels do always go up pretty much under prednisone cause cortisol is a natural antagonist of insulin. so i woud'nt worry about that)
well as for that chip, i have to say it's pretty inconvinient to have that little "bug" plungged to your belly for days BUT it's a really good way to determine your exact sugar levels over time. when it's finished you get a chart printed out for each day and for the whole measurement time.

dsheldon

Hi nocode,
I was diagnosed with CFRD about 6 years ago, and have had a different experience than Printer regarding its management. I have two types of insulin, one that I inject before every meal/snack, and one that I inject before bed. I also test when I inject and before bed. So, I find it quite frustrating to manage, especially added onto everything else we do to manage CF. But, as with anything, Diabetes can vary person to person, including what medications you are on (such as prednisone, as Vaultboy mentioned). I am also familiar with the chip you are referring to. Several months ago, I had my A1C measured (gives an indication of how your blood sugar levels have been for the past 2-3 months), and it was extremely high, especially considering my levels were fairly normal throughout the day. So I used that chip for a week and was able to see that my sugar levels were spiking during the night, when I wouldn't normally be testing myself. It isn't great of course to have the thing on your belly, but it's easier than testing several times a day, and since things could be happening when you don't test.
Hope I could be of some help, and good luck!

A

Angie1

Hi nocode

I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I am 47 i got diabeties at 21 it was quite mild for years, but presently it is regular diabeties more or less a wee bit different cost ive cf obviously, but i still need to test my blood sugards up to 6 times a day and am on 3 injections a day.

Its not easy living with cf/diabeties as ive been a diabetic now for 23 years.

Regards Angela

dream2live

I think I would get a 2nd opinion unless this doctor specializes in CF related diabetes. Then again, I would still want a 2nd opinion. Never heard about checking to see if you have diabetes via chip.

ajlindsley

Hi, There is such thing as a sensor that can be inserted into your belly or upper arm that will continuously monitor your blood glucose. My daughter had one put in for 7 days 2 years ago. They put hers in her upper arm as she is a gymnast and they thought that would be the best place for hers. It recorded readings every 5-7 minutes. Along with you keeping track of everything you eat and what time you ate, it gives a lot of useful information. We found out that my daughter was experiencing a few highs but she was having consistent lows during the night. They determined that she was pre CFRD and did not want to start insulin as she has too many low blood sugar readings. The next year her OGTT was in the normal range so we haven't done the continuous glucose monitoring again. Hope this is helpful.

Beccamom

nocode,

I am wondering if you did the chip test and if so what was your result. I am also pancreatic sufficient and I am going to the endocrinologist tomorrow. I was wondering if CFRD is even possible since I am pancreatic sufficient.

nocode

Hi all. Thanks for all the feedback, I hadn´t checked in a while and missed most responses.

I have not done the chip test yet because I have been traveling and my next appointment is on January 9, at which time I will be giving the doctor my answer as to whether I want to do this or not. To be honest, I have been leaning more torwards no. The "simple" reason is that I don´t think I am psychologically ready to deal with CFRD if the tests come back positive.

I went through major depression this year and had to start taking anti-depressants a few months ago and I am finally feeling like I am getting back on track. I always cooperate with everything that I need to do, I know it´s all for my own good and I don´t usually chicken out in the face of CF challenges, but this time I will just trust the normal blood tests results and put this chip test on hold.

If anyone with CFRD is still reading this, can you please tell me what the symptoms are if you are CFRD and are not taking insulin? Maybe I can see if I recognize anything.

Beccamom - Let me know how your tests will turn out! Best of luck.

CrisDopher

Thirstiness all the time. Peeing all the time. If your symptoms progress to tingling or pain in the extremities, then the diabetes has already damaged you and you are well on your way to losing your eyesight &/or limbs.

Printer

nocode:

Don't let those Doctors push you around. Wait until you are psychologically ready, by that time you may have had your limbs removed and gone blind.

CF, CFRD, blind and no limbs. By then maybe you will be psychologically ready for the chip.

Bill

nocode

I don´t seem to have any of the symptoms. The last time I was tested for diabetes was 2 months ago, I was admitted to the hospital for 3 weeks for IV treatment and they tested 2 times a week, 5 times a day, and the numbers always came back normal, even while on Prednisone during the last week. So it is not likely that I have diabetes, but since this is a new way to test, the doctor is trying it out on some patients. He proposed this to me just to confirm the results. Like I said, I am still thinking about it.

Printer - Not sure why my approach to this has made you so mad. But I guess you must have your reasons to go all drama queen on this....

Twistofchaos

My sister has CFRD and has had that chip a couple times. Slightly annoying but no huge deal.
Maybe not very useful when regular testing shows that you're fine (ie. 2 hours after eating your glucose is back down to good values) and show no symptoms.
It is my personal opinion that you can test and search for things deeper and deeper and most likely will find something wrong every time. But that it's better to fight, worry and tackle the stuff that actually comes up.
Anyway they must like those things here because I got offered to wear one too not long ago.

Printer: It takes years and years of systematic Much too high glucose values before limbs and eyes are starting to fall off and out. On the other hand I've seen movies about that and it's not pretty because they come in hordes and usually only a shotgun to the head will stop them but not every time.