Qvar 1 or 2 a day?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
So DS doctor wants to up his qvar or rather has. She gave us the choice of a higher dose 1 a day or same dose 2 a day. I asked adv and disadvantages and whether better to do 2 a day which seems intuitively like t would be better but she said it s no different. Bu what I wonder is is that a clinical test no different like the albuterol inhaler versus nebulizers which studies show no different but cfers in practice will say the nebulized version works better? Or is it truly no different? We've been doing 2 a day because I have the meds left but in the evening DS is already exhausted and bouncing off the walls as am I so I'm thinking if truly no different I'd do all in am, but if there is a benefit to 2 a day in practice I'll just suck it up.

anyone qvar have thoughts or experience to share?

Ank

I have taken albuterol, it works better bcoz it delivers drugs slowly.Intially one has bronchospasm and and air flow is restricted ,on taking albuterol ,airflow gradually increases and drugs reaches deeper with increased airflow..this effect continues till patient is relieved.
While the same does not happen with inhaler as it push all drug inside in one shot , so most ofdrug dnt reach deep(as air flow is restricted)

nebuliser will always work better than inhaler but the point is does one need it?
Ppl having asthama are generally relieved by inhalers ,

You will have to give a try..thats how u cn knw.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey,
Sorry, I wasn't clear. DS is on Xopenex (leverbuterol) and we do nebulized. But he is on chronic use of Qvar and the doctor increased to 2 puffs 2x a day (it can't be nebulized) OR 2 puffs 1x a day of a higher dosing. So I'm trying to figure out if there is an advantage/disadvantage in practice, as the doctor is talking theory.
Thanks for the response though!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My daughter always did it twice a day. Qvar, Advair, and now Dulera with all three she did them twice a day. So I don't know if there would be a difference doing a stronger dose once a day.

PS just to be clear, she is not on all three meds. She started with Qvar and was switched to Advair and has now been switched to Dulera.

T

The Dot

If he is doing airway clearance twice a day, then I would have him do the QVAR twice daily. Otherwise, if he is just puffing on the QVAR without doing the airway clearance in the evening, then it is not going to be very effective anyway. BTW - nebulized Budesonide can be given instead of QVAR, but if QVAR is working, stick with it.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks dot! No I don't wNt to switch to nebs for t t unless it is needed and dr never suggested. We do do airway clearance 2 a day but before the qvar...that he I thought they had us doing t but. Might have misunderstood...I do that a lot!

If he is doing airway clearance twice a day, then I would have him do the QVAR twice daily. Otherwise, if he is just puffing on the QVAR without doing the airway clearance in the evening, then it is not going to be very effective anyway. BTW - nebulized Budesonide can be given instead of QVAR, but if QVAR is working, stick with it.

T

The Dot

The QVAR is soothing to the lungs after all the things that are given to help expel mucous (which can irritate the airways), so if it is not too much trouble I would continue it after you finish all the other medications in your twice daily routine. Of course, make sure your doc agrees ;)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
The QVAR is soothing to the lungs after all the things that are given to help expel mucous (which can irritate the airways), so if it is not too much trouble I would continue it after you finish all the other medications in your twice daily routine. Of course, make sure your doc agrees ;)
m

thanks dot! That was extremely helpful as was knowing Teri's daughter always did 2x a day. Our doctor said it didn't matter....it it truly didn't I figure once and don but my gut told me it had to be better t do twice a day at lower doses and your explanation makes great sense

occupyjapan

QVAR is safe and effective. I was on the nasal version (Beconase) for sinus polyps when I was younger. It works great and is very effective. I take Advair now for inhaled steroids. It works great, too. Both are steroids; Advair is mixed with a long-acting bronchodilator too. Neither are really comparable to albuterol, which is a short-lasting bronchodilator (useful as a rescue inhaler or prior to doing meds but not great for long term bronchodilation and does nothing to reduce immune-mediated inflammation).