Rash from Bactrim??

M

MCGrad2006

Hi All,

I just started Bactrim on Sunday after trying unsuccessfully to fight off an infection. I have never really liked Bactrim, but I was feeling pretty miserable. Well this morning I woke up with these bug bite looking welts on my shoulder. There are four very close together, one further down on my back (that I cannot reach to scratch) and another on my thigh. I was NOT outside at all yesterday except to go to and from my car to work and home. I was outside for a bit on Sunday with shorts, so that could explain the one on my thigh, but I did have short sleeve shirt on, so I doubt (although its possible) that I got bug bites there. Also all of them are itchy!

Has anyone gotten a rash from Bactrim? On the side effects it says red spots on skin may happen...but I can't be sure they are NOT bug bites either. I don't want to have to change meds because I feel better already. I don't know what to do...

Kristen

I am allergic to Sulfa and got a rash when I took Bactrim. My rash was more of a large, uniform rash that was like little dots. I also got a low grade fever.

However, you may just get a different allergic rash from mine. I would call your doctor.

Um...I've been on Bactrim (no bad reactions, didn't even get the photosensativity...go figure) what worries me more is your description of a series of itchy bites close together. Very close together, tiny, all in a line? I want to be wrong and I don't really have enough information...but if this has any chance of being *bed bugs* you MUST address it early and it will not be a fun ride. Please check for any signs of those horrible things...I've been through it. <shudder>. IF you do see signs of Bed Bug infection (the bugs themselves are very small but as they get larger can be seen by the naked eye...and are very difficult to eradicate) be very careful moving possibly infected items through your home...put them in garbage bags for transport to treatment/the dumpster. I'm not going to HiJack this thread with BB info because I don't know if you need it but...they are horrible and not everyone reacts to their bites. The "good" news would be no reaction to Bactrim.

SFA

Diagnositc Limbo for more then 21 years (its complicated)

M

MCGrad2006

I am pretty sure its not bed bugs. The bites are not in a line, but kinda scattered. There are four close together, but not in a line. And I don't have any other signs of bed bugs...

beleache

I get what is called a fixed drug eruption from Bactrim. It is one mark that gets red then darker, then looks like a bruise ,that fades very slowly till it is gone. Takes a long time for it to disappear. So no bactrim for me ..

PatrickM

My son (15) got a rash which I am pretty sure was caused by bactrim. His was a large red area on his side and abdomen with tiny raised bumps. It was very itchy. We stopped the bactrim, took a benedryl, the rash was gone the next day (although it still itched) and per doctors orders we started bactrim again. The rash did not come back. It was weird but I am sure the bactrim caused the rash. Do you have an iPhone? I took a photo and showed the doctor next time I saw him. I would try some benedryl and also call a nurse at the clinic. Keep an eye on it.

imported_Momto2

I've gotten a rash from Bactrim as well as sun issues, but nothing like you're describing. Sounds more like a wandering spider. My kiddos have experienced spider encounters that have left them with similar bite pattern to yours. You may be overly sensitive to spider/bug bites while on the bactrim too.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
This sounds like something very similar to what I have! (if not then, it's pretty close!) I've been on Bactrim continuously (M-W-F) since my transplant in 2007. It's a post tx medication. My family started noticing these small red blotches and tiny bumps on my upper back a few YEARS ago. Mine don't itch though. I've had them for at least 3+ years. I asked my doctor what they were a few years ago and he had no clue. Told me that if they didn't itch then he wouldn't worry about it. He did recommend a dermatologist. I never went to see one since I already see so many doctors already! I thought it was unnecessary if the spots don't bother me. (As far as scratching. I don't like wearing tank tops though because you can SEE it)

I see my tx clinic on Thursday. I think I'll mention this!

G

Gorf

My problem is I am allergic to a few meds, I asked to try this year on one to get me feeling better, 10mg steriods controlled mine, of course sugar levels went up, but easily controlled with insulin. I got a heavy rash from it is all.

CyrilCrodius

Yep! The last time I took Bactrim was over 18 years ago and I had it listed as an allergy in my medical files ever since for the same reason! I think it was given to me by inhalation (possible?) and caused a rash in my face. It looked pretty much like what you are describing from what I remember.

Havoc

CFers can get arthropathies from inflammation that presents similar to that. Heat seems to make it worse. Mention it to you doc. If it is in fact an artrhropathy sometimes daily doses of Naproxen can help.