reasonable priced port supplies

Emer76

Does anyone know where to get reasonable priced port supplies? I will be paying for them out of pocket since my insurance does not cover them. They were covered by my old insurance so I'm not even sure what a good price for the individual items would be . I have looked online some and it looks like a lot of items are sold in big quantities so I'm a little confused. I do know that I would would need a prescription if I order online. Thanks.

JustDucky

I get mine through Imed.com for the exact same reason as yours. Medicare does not pay for these supplies (unless you go outpatient and have them put it in for you, then it is covered. I know...strange and frustrating). Yes, you do need a Rx to buy your supplies (I get my huber needles, central line dressing kits, insulin needles, syringes even IV tubing from them) but I think they are reasonable. You can search around though on google. Good luck!

Jenn 41 wCF

Emer76

Hey Jenn, thanks so much for the info. Is there a certain brand you prefer for needles? Also notice you said you purchased iv tubing . I would love to know how you go about doing home ivs since Medicare doesn't' t pay for supplies. I don't do home ivs anymore but I did them for years when I had blue cross.

JustDucky

I use Kawasumi brand, it is cheaper than most other brands. As far as managing to do home IV's...I use my part D medicare insurance to get around that one. My plan covers generics through the doughnut hole (I hit that stage quickly as I am on colistin, my part D insurance picks that up in generic form). What my doc and I decided to do is to order the antibiotics that I am most commonly treated with (ceftazadime, piperacillin/tazo (Zosyn), merropenem (Merrem), etc) along with the IV solutions (normal saline bags so that I can mix my meds) ahead of time, so that when I get sick, my doc tells me what I need to start and I start them at home immediately. I was a RN, so mixing my meds is no big deal for me....I can honestly tell you that I have avoided many hospital stays, instead of the usual 4 or 5 a year, I might have to go in twice. That happens because by bugs are just too resistant to treat at home and I need more sophisticated drugs (that aren't covered on my plan) and so I must go inpatient for treatment. This year, if not for my IV's at home, I would have spent a good part of winter inpatient, I was pretty sick with the flu and repeat infections. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate :)

Jenn 41 wCF