Recurring gi symptoms.

Jshet22

This probably isn't cf related, but what do I know, lol. Since December my son has had 5 bouts of diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. I'm just having a hard time believing this is another stomach virus. Every episode has been the same. He wakes up through the night like around 4 am with vomiting and stomach pain. By the following morning he has both diarrhea and vomiting with stomach pain and generally not feeling well. He doesn't have a fever, but is very pale and lethargic. It lasts from 2-5 days, and then it's gone.
Until the last episode a month ago I thought it was due to all of the antibiotics he had been on and gi doc said he thinks it's viral. But I'm finding it harder to believe it's viral because it's pretty much the same exact pattern every time. He is due to see his gi doc Wednesday but I'm betting he will be feeling better then. Any ideas or advice appreciated. Thank you.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Sorry. Should be flares up in GI track. I don't know how ecoli works but those symptoms sound like what they always say is ecoli and if it's in his cultures he must have a source for it...his GI might not think of looking at cultures so maybe ask him if there could be something related to ecoli since he has in cultures...because I too think that'd be too weird to get stomach bugs that often and it doesn't sound like dios or obstruction but seems classic for news reports of ecoli symptoms...hugs to one of the best moms I "know" on this Mother's Day.

Jshet22

Thank you. I will def bring up to doc on Wednesday. I appreciate the reply, and hope you had a nice Mother's Day.

RWCO

pancreatitis?

This probably isn't cf related, but what do I know, lol. Since December my son has had 5 bouts of diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. I'm just having a hard time believing this is another stomach virus. Every episode has been the same. He wakes up through the night like around 4 am with vomiting and stomach pain. By the following morning he has both diarrhea and vomiting with stomach pain and generally not feeling well. He doesn't have a fever, but is very pale and lethargic. It lasts from 2-5 days, and then it's gone.
Until the last episode a month ago I thought it was due to all of the antibiotics he had been on and gi doc said he thinks it's viral. But I'm finding it harder to believe it's viral because it's pretty much the same exact pattern every time. He is due to see his gi doc Wednesday but I'm betting he will be feeling better then. Any ideas or advice appreciated. Thank you.

I am sorry that your son hasn't been feeling well. I have a daughter with CF who was not diagnosed until a couple of years ago after a multiple bouts of pancreatitis starting at age 8. She has all the symptoms you mention. You might ask your son's doctor to test him for that, especially if he is pancreatic sufficient. Good luck.