Red Band Society

kbkbkb

I just watched the pilot episode of this show. Wow! So unrealistic, I can't even begin to describe the inaccuracies. All I can say is I was looking forward to watching this, but after the first episode, I won't be watching again. And not just because the the obscenely inaccurate CF story line, but the writing and dialogue in the show are laughably horrendous.

If anyone is interested in a realistic depiction of CF, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjt4mRaI554

ChestMaster

Thanks for sharing the link

I haven't seen the pilot but the post you shared hit some really powerful notes about the harsh reality of having a serious, chronic illness. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Have you seen the movie Foreverland? It was directed by a guy with CF, which obviously helps to ensure that the story of what it's like to live with the disease is a bit more realistic.

I think I watched it through iTunes, but here's a link to a trailer if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-OoxE5XG4

kbkbkb

Thank you for the Washington Post link. It really does nail it. And it is so much more meaningful that it was written by someone with a chronic illness.

Thanks too for the link to the movie trailer. I'll have to watch that movie one of these days.

mamaScarlett

Not realistic at all, but I didn't expect it to be, being on primetime tv and all. I did have a few laughs at some scenes, which reminded me of life back in the day-80s, 90s, we did stay in the hospital sometime for months on end and many funny situations where kids 'bent' the rules and got into trouble.
I do recall going up on the roof many times. The nurses and therapists would bend the rules for special occasions and set up tables and chairs. We were let out once in a while for a few hours to go to a store or restaurant, as long as we were back in time. Many wheelchair races, IV pole races...till kids got caught and yelled at. Take out orders, kids sneaking downstairs to the front desk to pick it up. Kids getting caught visiting each others rooms.
Alot of that stuff did actually go on back then, and more, but nowadays would never happen.