Reese got a lung transplant

mom2two

wow, 14 years old. Science REALLY needs to figure out what makes his double delta f508 situation different from other ddf508's who make it much longer. Clearly there are mitigating factors/interactive genes which have not been ID'd. Orkambi works great for some, is seriously harmful to others-- why? There is so much we dont understand about CF. Blessings to you Reese.

Imogene

Administrator
This is Reece's second lung transplant I think he had one at 7 or 8 years old...am I remembering correctly?
So happy for the family! Let' s pray this one lasts for a long time.
Salt and Light,
Jeanne

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I believe he had surgery several years ago, not a transplant, but to remove a very infected, diseased lung. So his transplant was a single rather than a double lung transplant.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
wow, 14 years old. Science REALLY needs to figure out what makes his double delta f508 situation different from other ddf508's who make it much longer. Clearly there are mitigating factors/interactive genes which have not been ID'd. Orkambi works great for some, is seriously harmful to others-- why? There is so much we dont understand about CF. Blessings to you Reese.

Unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw. You can do everything you're supposed to do in terms of treatments, meds and still have issues. Locally we had a 12 year old who had a double lung transplant a few years ago. Got a nasty mycobacterium infection, while in the hospital. Damage to his lungs was so severe, despite iv abx and treatments. Today he's back in school, was on the school hockey team, goes hunting....

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
FANTASTIC News!! :)

I had my transplant when I was 15. I'm not so sure it's a mutation issue. Everyone has transplants at all ages who have different mutations.