Ringing In my Ear

K

kgfrompa

I was on Inhaled Colisten and I started this ringing in my Ear it wont stop I have since through all Colisten away. Has this ever happened and how do the Doctors Fix it!I would love any feed back Thank you .

C

CF45sucks

I have had ringing in my ear since being on tobi IV's over two years ago with significant hearing loss in that same ear. One of the side affects of several of the CF medications that we use is hearing loss and ringing in the ear, and unfortunately there is nothing so far that they can do to fix it. There is a new over the counter medication that I have yet to try but it is for ringing in the ear. I will go get some and try it and see if it helps and let you know.

This is really a pain in the neck as you probably already know and again I have yet to come up with a solution.

Hardak

I've never heard of ringing in the ears being a problem while on Inhaled Colisten, I know its a problem with IV Tobi, AKA Tobramiacine (ok spelling is WAY off). If the ringing is the same cause as Tobra there isn't much to be done about it if anything at all. The Cilia in the inner ear get lost/damaged over time happens everybody over time. Tobra is known to cause this to happen at an accelerated rate. this can also happen at faster then normal rates due to loud sound exposure. I would get in touch with your local CF center see if this is a side effect, and if so it might be wise to get a hearing test done. Sadly once hearing damage happens, there isn't much of anything they can do about it. I every now and then get a tone in my ears that isn't there (its rare) I can normally mentally block it out/ignore it once I realize its in my head and not the world around me.

bk

A myriad of cf drugs have created that constant ringing in my son's ears (he's 23). Wish I had a different answer and really wish I had a fix.

Irishgal

Kgfrompa, this same thing just happened to me 2 weeks ago. I was on inhaled colistin, no other antibiotics (hadn't been on IV's for 6 months), and all of the sudden one day my ear closed, I lost hearing, & got a loud, screeching ringing in my left ear. Has been there ever since & hasn't gone away. I have seen 3 different DR.'s & no one can give me any answers. They all say it could not have been from the colistin, but I find it ironic that I found your post about this too. Looks like this happened to you in April. What is your status now? Has the ringing gone away? Have you gotten any answers? This is driving me crazy & I'm very concerned. Thanks for your help.

Hardak

I get tone's off and on and have for a few years, commonly if I plug my ear and get the presure of my inner ear to change I can get it to quit, some times it just takes covering my ear for a bit to muffle sounds getting into it.

mwinston87

i am on inhaled tobi and calistin and have ringing in my right ear along with significant hearing loss. i went on prednisone for 10 days and it improved the hearing loss some but i still have the ringing. i have just sort of toned out the ringing and just make sure people talk into my good ear :)