RT's refusing to do CPT

mamaScarlett

I am shocked to read this. I have never ever heard of this. My docs would never even considering offering me a vest-the reason I'm in the hospital is for good manual cpt!!<br>If I was given this response, I'd refuse to be admitted and do ivs at home. I'd get better rest, better food and can do my own vest.<br>This is a joke of a cf center, no offense.<br>

IVWinchester79

I'm still sitting here thinking what? That's stupid, those therapists are jokes. If you were in my hospital, you'd be better off. All they do is tap me there. And yes, they were trained.

If I were you, I would complain or switch hospitals.

Good luck. I hope you have better luck next time.

IVWinchester79

I'm still sitting here thinking what? That's stupid, those therapists are jokes. If you were in my hospital, you'd be better off. All they do is tap me there. And yes, they were trained.

If I were you, I would complain or switch hospitals.

Good luck. I hope you have better luck next time.

IVWinchester79

<br />
<br />If I were you, I would complain or switch hospitals.
<br />
<br />Good luck. I hope you have better luck next time.

PinkPigg

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Definitely protest all the way to the top. That is not excusable in my opinion. I always insist on manual CPT when I'm in. As mentioned above we can do "the Vest" at home. I really don't care what the studies say. When I'm sick nothing clears me out better than CPT.

When I first started going to my hospital I had some RTs that did not want to do it or tried to make excuses for not being able to. So I resolved the situation by calling the RT supervisor when I was in. They arranged for me to have RTs that were willing and/or trained to do CPT. I usually was able to get some of the stronger people who could really pound me. Now the RT team knows me well enough that things are taken care of from day one.

Don't settle for less than what you need to get better. It is their job!!!

Peace,
Steph

PinkPigg

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!

Definitely protest all the way to the top. That is not excusable in my opinion. I always insist on manual CPT when I'm in. As mentioned above we can do "the Vest" at home. I really don't care what the studies say. When I'm sick nothing clears me out better than CPT.

When I first started going to my hospital I had some RTs that did not want to do it or tried to make excuses for not being able to. So I resolved the situation by calling the RT supervisor when I was in. They arranged for me to have RTs that were willing and/or trained to do CPT. I usually was able to get some of the stronger people who could really pound me. Now the RT team knows me well enough that things are taken care of from day one.

Don't settle for less than what you need to get better. It is their job!!!

Peace,
Steph

PinkPigg

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!
<br />
<br />Definitely protest all the way to the top. That is not excusable in my opinion. I always insist on manual CPT when I'm in. As mentioned above we can do "the Vest" at home. I really don't care what the studies say. When I'm sick nothing clears me out better than CPT.
<br />
<br />When I first started going to my hospital I had some RTs that did not want to do it or tried to make excuses for not being able to. So I resolved the situation by calling the RT supervisor when I was in. They arranged for me to have RTs that were willing and/or trained to do CPT. I usually was able to get some of the stronger people who could really pound me. Now the RT team knows me well enough that things are taken care of from day one.
<br />
<br />Don't settle for less than what you need to get better. It is their job!!!
<br />
<br />Peace,
<br />Steph

Ldude916

Absolutely agree. I have requested that certain RT's are not to service me b/c their CPT is not up to par. I have spoken to the respitory manager. I have complained to my doctor. The only thing you can do is advocate for yourself and keep speaking up and up until you get what you know you need. We are paying for their services, and the patient is always right!

That is just the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Even though this occured a few months ago, I wouldn't hesitate to call the respitory supervisor/dept. today and have a word with them. Shoot, I even make them TILT THE BED! They hate that, but I could give two sh*ts!

Ldude916

Absolutely agree. I have requested that certain RT's are not to service me b/c their CPT is not up to par. I have spoken to the respitory manager. I have complained to my doctor. The only thing you can do is advocate for yourself and keep speaking up and up until you get what you know you need. We are paying for their services, and the patient is always right!

That is just the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Even though this occured a few months ago, I wouldn't hesitate to call the respitory supervisor/dept. today and have a word with them. Shoot, I even make them TILT THE BED! They hate that, but I could give two sh*ts!

Ldude916

<br />
<br />That is just the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Even though this occured a few months ago, I wouldn't hesitate to call the respitory supervisor/dept. today and have a word with them. Shoot, I even make them TILT THE BED! They hate that, but I could give two sh*ts!

KatStryker

this is an ongoing challenge for my two kids who are vocal and pleasant adults who are often hospitalized at the same time and support each other by asking the RTs if the sibling is done, etc. I tend to do the PT myself to be sure they get it as we have been told not to bring in their own vests and the ones in hospital are in use by other patients. darn shame. I think RTs have heavy work loads but are also more used to handing over inhaled meds and checking to be sure they are consumed. On the other hand, imagine asking a floor nurse to say run on a treadmill instead of change an iv med....

KatStryker

this is an ongoing challenge for my two kids who are vocal and pleasant adults who are often hospitalized at the same time and support each other by asking the RTs if the sibling is done, etc. I tend to do the PT myself to be sure they get it as we have been told not to bring in their own vests and the ones in hospital are in use by other patients. darn shame. I think RTs have heavy work loads but are also more used to handing over inhaled meds and checking to be sure they are consumed. On the other hand, imagine asking a floor nurse to say run on a treadmill instead of change an iv med....

KatStryker

LouLou

I do not agree with your analogy Kat. I think a respiratory therapist should definitely do hands on CPT. The thing is it's not just us, it's the people in the ICU who are especially prone to pneumonia. I though CPT was especially needed by them. Are they not getting CPT at these hospitals either? I think this should be brought up with your hospital as well as your insurance. The code they are billing for better not contain the same one that those who receive thumping get or this constitutes insurance fraud.

LouLou

I do not agree with your analogy Kat. I think a respiratory therapist should definitely do hands on CPT. The thing is it's not just us, it's the people in the ICU who are especially prone to pneumonia. I though CPT was especially needed by them. Are they not getting CPT at these hospitals either? I think this should be brought up with your hospital as well as your insurance. The code they are billing for better not contain the same one that those who receive thumping get or this constitutes insurance fraud.

LouLou

K

Keepercjr

I'm really surprised reading this! I have NEVER gotten manual CPT in the hospital. Granted I wasn't hospitalized till I was 17 but still. I'm pretty sure I was told something about carpal tunnel and workers comp or something of the like. I was always told to use the vest. They had rolling ones that they supplied to CF patients. The RTs came in and hooked up the inhaled med and stayed while I did the vest and neb. That was it. For the life of me I can't remember if my brother got manual CPT while he was hospitalized in the 80s and 90s - probably so. 99% of my hospitalizations were at Children's Hospital Central California. My brother was mostly hospitalized at Oakland Children's. I have not been hospitalized since 2004 so I don't know if my current clinic/hospital (UCSF) does manual CPT or not.

I thought that nobody got manual CPT in the joint anymore. Boy was I wrong!!

K

Keepercjr

I'm really surprised reading this! I have NEVER gotten manual CPT in the hospital. Granted I wasn't hospitalized till I was 17 but still. I'm pretty sure I was told something about carpal tunnel and workers comp or something of the like. I was always told to use the vest. They had rolling ones that they supplied to CF patients. The RTs came in and hooked up the inhaled med and stayed while I did the vest and neb. That was it. For the life of me I can't remember if my brother got manual CPT while he was hospitalized in the 80s and 90s - probably so. 99% of my hospitalizations were at Children's Hospital Central California. My brother was mostly hospitalized at Oakland Children's. I have not been hospitalized since 2004 so I don't know if my current clinic/hospital (UCSF) does manual CPT or not.

I thought that nobody got manual CPT in the joint anymore. Boy was I wrong!!

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />I thought that nobody got manual CPT in the joint anymore. Boy was I wrong!!

peter

This is lifted form the bureau of labor statistics.<br>"<span style="font-style: italic;">Respiratory therapists perform chest physiotherapy on patients to remove
mucus from their lungs and make it easier for them to breathe.
Therapists place patients in positions that help drain mucus, and then
vibrate the patients' rib cages, often by tapping on the chest, and tell
the patients to cough. Chest physiotherapy may be needed after
surgery, for example, because anesthesia depresses respiration. As a
result, physiotherapy may be prescribed to help get the patient's lungs
back to normal and to prevent congestion. Chest physiotherapy also
helps patients suffering from lung diseases, such as cystic fibrosis,
that cause mucus to collect in the lungs."<br><br>My first seven patients as a physical therapist were all postural drainage. I do think LouLou is right about following through with the hospital administration, including the supervisor. Start with a letter to CEO, copy to hospital admin for that service, RT supervisor, your state representatives (always a plus to keep CF in front of the law makers) - if you're Medicare also district congressman/woman and both Senators or to your private carrier:  a) state the date, time, and name of RT's failing to provide it. b) verify RT was written in the orders of your chart. If not c) speak with the pulmonologist, hospitalist, or your PCP about the experience. Don't worry about recrimination by hospital (malpractice) and try to have a witness there when hospitalized. It all is about advocacy and in truth it is fraud if billed with a CPT code defining Postural drainage. My experience personally through observation and in conversation with cf patients is the poor centers use a coddling warm fuzzy approach while killing through incompetent administration of physician direction. They have to be afraid of you if they aren't making you satisfied. I personally observed 2 RT's in a hospital, on different visits, provide zero sound or concussive care. I offered to do it myself but was not accepted as any of my business (interfering with the comfort zone), which however could have been under my license but probably not under institutional insurance liability. The poor care was a mortal blow.<br>