Running in Cold Temps

mamaScarlett

Can any runners comment on how well, or not well, they deal with cold temps? I have an upcoming race in Feb but thats in FL. To prepare for that race, I'm considering a shorter one in Central Park, nyc in Jan, with my family.
My immediate reaction is "I can't run in cold weather!". But if you asked me a year ago if I could run, period, I would have said never. So I'm looking for more info.
Thanks!

liveitup

If you are planning to run a race in cold weather - train in cold weather! I, personally, prefer running in 55 degree weather and misty, but we don't get that very often! lol I did run a 10k and have run 5k's in very cold weather...my times are better in cold weather - go figure! Use under armour cold gear and wear a hat and gloves! Best wishes :)! e

bigstar

What about catching a cold? Is that possible? Im running 2-3 times a week since September and i dont wanna quit now. But im also considering the risks. Can anyone more experienced enlighten us please? And when we are talking of cold how many degrees are we talking about?

Melissa75

Administrator
Bigstar,

Being run down, tired, and stressed "helps" you catch a cold or have a flare-up of preexisting lung bacteria, but exercising in the cold shouldn't wipe you out the same way. The exertion and proper clothing should keep you warm.

That said, exercise is a boost to the immune system...at least up to a certain point. If you go overboard, you can make yourself vulnerable. And "overboard" is different for each person and changes the more you build.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/phys-ed-does-exercise-boost-immunity/

(Sometimes overboard is worth it...just go into it with your eyes open. A race would be that for you runner people, I imagine. :) For me the hours of mental and physical exertion required to rock climb outdoors is beautiful and meaningful to me, but literally makes me sick, so I do it rarely.)

It's so great that you're running these days, mamaScarlett. Congrats! Keep your head warm and be cautious--don't plan a big run the first day the temp drops a bunch. And bring an albuterol inhaler too, in case you get twitchy from the cold.

RunningMan

Running in the cold has its issues just like running in the heat; as long as you take the right actions you will be fine. Make sure to dress for the weather. Hat and gloves are a must as the temperatures start to get in the thirties and below. Most of your body heat will escape from your head so wear a hat that covers your ears to keep the heat in. As far as feeling cold you will especially when you first get out the door. During the run your body will heat up naturally and you will not feel as cold but as soon as you finish you need to get in out of the wind and elements. This does NOT mean go straight back in side where the heat is. You need to allow your body to slow down and breathe normal before entering the heat. Go in the garage or something covered to stretch a few minutes and allow the body to adjust to the slightly warmer conditions. After about 5-10 minutes of stretching then go in the heat, the reason for this is just like a cold glass filled with something hot cracks so could the blood vessels in your lungs. This could cause some pain, spitting of blood or just an increase in cough from temp change; so take your time and cool down properly.
Once inside get out of your wet cloths and warm up (blanket, hot coco, …) if you are going to jump in a shower wait at least 10 minutes before getting in. Jumping into a warm shower over and over again after being out in the cold will dry out your skin through the winter. Waiting allows the body to warm back up naturally before hitting the warm water which helps save your skin from cracking.
As far as the faster time go, most people find it easier to run PRs in slightly cooler temps. The reason for this is because a lot of energy is used by the body to keep it cool during exercise but when it is already cool outside the body doesn’t have to work as hard and the excess energy can be used by other thing, hence faster times.
Hope this helps and if you need more information or help feel free to reach me at https://www.facebook.com/RunningShapeCo