Running shoe advice (somewhat off-topic, yet on topic ;) )

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi All,

My lung function has see a small decline at each of my last two check-ups. I don't have any increase in symptoms or feel "bad" per se, so we are not treating it at this point. My doctor really backed me into a corner on exercising, rightfully so. ;) Exercise is the one area where I can't get my butt in gear. Anyway, In the last couple weeks I've started walk-jogging (mostly walking) on the treadmill and outside. My feet aren't loving me for it and I'm in the market for new running (or cross training?) shoes and have no clue how to choose. I've never been athletic or consistently exercised so this is an area where I could use some help. Please let me know if any of you have a shoe that you love and feels good during exercise. I need all the help I can get, and hopefully if I spend the $ on new exercise gear I'll feel compelled to work out more. Ha!

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Autumn

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Depending upon how much I walk -- tend to put on more miles in the summer, I replace my shoes every 6-12 months. I wear ascics. Currently I'm wearing Gel Noosas. I'm fortunate in that I have a smaller size foot -- 7 to 7.5 women's so I've been able to buy youth size 6 to save money. I'm now comfortable with my needs that I can order online via sierra trading or amazon. I have a wider foot, so nike's don't work for me, some new balance shoes are hit or miss. I can also wear Saucony. A lot of places have Running Company Stores -- my cousin runs and goes to our local one or even a good sporting goods store. You could get fitted or at least find your needs and then go elsewhere -- Kohls, Penneys, online... My son isn't athletic, but at daycare he'd put in a LOT of miles. They walked everywhere and hit the parks and playgrounds daily and he was wearing out the soles of his shoes. A coworker suggested a tennis shoe called babolat with a Michelin tire sole. Now I replace shoes he outgrows rather than ones he's worn out ever 2-3 months.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I'd recommend finding a running store in your area and get fitted properly as Ratatosk said. They can look at how you walk and run and give you and idea of the best shoes for your particular feet and gait. And then buy them somewhere cheaper ��

Katherine H.

I like Mizuno. I tried Brooks but was not a fan. My daughter has Adidas. I cannot do Nike because they hurt the top of my feet. Each person is different. I agree with a running store. One that has lots of choices. A good running store will look at your walk, stance, and other factors to decide.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I'm. It a runner and as such have discovered one non shoe related reality: if you try to run as a non runner a mile is hell. But if you run a block, walk a block , etc. you will get better exercise, less painfully and thus more like.y to endure...so says she sitting on the iPad eating in the kitchen in slippers...while boiling nebs.

Melissa75

Administrator
Have you tried Zumba, Bangra masala, Nia, dance fitness? I spent years trying to be a runner but my personality and knees just aren't geared for it.

In contrast, music and varied body movement makes me really happy. Also the company of others, old and young, fit and not. I'm not chatty, but somehow I still get motivated by the presence of others. And don't doubt the cardio aspect - a while back my SIL convinced me to run a 5k and stone-cold no training I could do sub-10 min miles. I know that isn't wow for a runner, but for a dancer/rock climber, I think it's impressive.

Belonging to a gym or taking a la carte dance classes can be expensive, but shop around. I manage to keep within a tight budget and got the membership to count toward my flexible spending account.

P.S. I love Asics :) I wear the crazy expensive ones (nimbus) , but the extra money is worth the lack of knee pain. Also, sometimes I get my hands on last year's color/model.

kenna2

I ran competitively in track and cross country for a number of years. I would say go to a running shoe store. Not a big name store like Dicks sporting goods or something like that. Your foot size, width, and arches of your feet, depends on what shoe is going to help the most. At a running store, they usually have a treadmill where you can test out the shoe in the store. I always wear Adidas shoes. I still think they are the best and they hold their value. Each shoe has different technology and different support based on how you walk and place your feet when you do so. The weight of the shoe also comes into play depending on the terrain you're walking on. Having someone at a running store evaluate your feet would be extremely beneficial. If you're just doing light walking, you don't need a second pair of shoes (which they will try to sell you because of the importance of switching up running shoes). Depending on the brand they should last you at least a year before you need to get a new pair.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
The only thing I have a real complaint about modern shoes, walking, running and anything sport, is when they make the sole about 2 sizes bigger than the shoe. We all know them. As a non-runner myself, I go for walking shoes. I assume you have healthy, ( no bunions, plantar fasciitis, flat feet or bone spurs) feet.

Historically I was in to footwear, from critiquing my mother's shoes when shopping, yeah for real, to footwear for skates, rock/ice climbing, mountaineering, cycling, motocross, and skiing. I'm sure I am missing something here but I think I have made my point, footwear is important and well worth the shopping​.

A recent CF topic is something all but forgotten in sports shoes, sweaty feet. I've never seen a sports shoe that takes care of wicking away moisture and sports socks for the purpose are half the price of the shoes. Materials​ like leather are uncommon and I haven't seen any leather sports shoes in years. I wear a thin polyester fabric sock to wick the moisture away with a high end athletic sock that further draws moisture out and away.

Unless you have the drive of a runner, save your money on high end shoes, you're not competing and the fraction of a second to win isn't your goal. In fact if you have any decent shoes, go jogging for a week and reconsider. With all of my shoe choices, it's not that I have an aversion to exercise and sports, running just isn't my bag. My brother gave me a great book written by a runner and a pair of running shoes many years ago in hopes that I would exercise myself well. He really wanted to help me, I hadn't been diagnosed with CF. He sadly wasted his money, I ran for two weeks and enjoyed the new shoes, for shoes and gave the book to a friend.

My brother makes me look like a piker at 72. He exercises more hours than​ I am up each day. He believes that good health comes from eating right and exercise. I agree with him up to a point. CF athletes probably are in the same percentage as the general population. During the Clinton Presidency he was doing his best to implement an affordable health care plan. At a gathering of friends the host was ranting about the idea of affordable health care and my brother said "what the President should have said is, 'Okay, here's the health plan, get out of your Lazy Boy chair, exercise 20 minutes daily, quit smoking, drink in moderation, eat right, lose your flab, that's the plan' ". My brother wasn't wrong and I live in the healthiest state in the U.S., It's contagious when you have so much activity going on.

Running is solitude for most of us, ear buds not withstanding. I took my brother's​ message to heart. I had raced bicycles as a teen. It wasn't well organized but I was so thrilled at 16 to ride 100 miles from 6000ft over the Continental Divide (9600') down to 7200ft and back in the same day. I got on my bike again. Very low impact and if Iowa can prove that it's anything but flat, I'm sure there's enough hills for 20 minutes of cardio max.

Good luck, good fun,

LL

Last edited: