Safest Way to Make Pets Part of Our Lives

rosesixtyfive

I am afraid of pets in the home. I've tried, but CF has made me a germaphobe. I'm afraid of bacterial infections in the ears, pseudomonas brought in from outdoors, PA in water dishes, bacteria on slobbery kisses. Dogs just freak me out. What are some ways that you keep your pets as clean as possible? I always feel better if I have some sort of plan of attack against possible germ sources.
Thank you,
rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, ddf508, 4 years old

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Do you currently have a pet? I consider our animals, a part of our family. They can enrich your life. I would not get a pet unless you truly want one, if it's like my home I am the one taking the dog out, taking him to the vet...doing the day to day care:) Our dog is about 7 and we got her when my CF daughter was around 3 or so...The dog did get ear infections when she was a puppy but none as an adult dog. I don't worry about germs from my dog...She is not a big licker though...We also had 2 cats both of which have passed on; but at one point we had 2 cats and a dog(that was a little much for me:))

It's your home and you don't want anxiety all the time from a pet; if you are constantly worried about it bringing in germs... Your home should be a safe haven. Maybe now is not a good time for a pet? You have to let go of the fear first of the germ issue.

Melissa75

Administrator
I agree with Rebjane. You want to feel like the pet is dear to you, not a burden or, worse, a threat. Dogs and cats are what I have experience with and from what I've seen, they are very responsive to emotions in the home. If your feelings toward the dog are negative, you'll have a high chance of behavior and training problems.

Fwiw, I have a 70 lbs black labradoodle, mostly poodle. I keep his hair short and he gets bathed by me or a groomer every 6-8 weeks. He swims in streams and the ocean. He isn't a kisser but he sticks half his face in the water bowl every time he drinks. I have nonCF bronchiectasis and I culture pseudo and steno rarely and steno, the latter pretty sure came from the hospital.

rosesixtyfive

Thank you Rebjane and Melissa. You are absolutely right. It is not a good time for a pet if you are feeling anxiety about it. We recently tried a puppy and I was very anxious. I told the kids we were just trying, but it was very hard when it didn't work out. We already had a home in place for the puppy before we tried. So, it's not like we contributed to the problem of unwanted pets. I saw how much joy it brought my children, and at some point, I want to try again. I just need a better plan of action for the next time. I think I would have done much better this time if our exposure to the pet had been incremental instead of all at once. Every time Sam sneezed I panicked. I realize now how much I overreacted. CF is hard. I have a lot of battles left to fight. This has been a good chance for me to realize I have to let some things go.

mamaScarlett

I can understand your concern. And I agree with others that you really only want to commit to a pet if you are ready.
As far as germs, there are 2 schools of thought with animals and human contact..one is concern with germs, dander, etc..the other is that exposure to these things especially from childhood on, increases your antibodies and natural immune system.
I'm allergic to cats so they are a no way for us. I used to ride horses. Though I'm not allergic to them at all, I am bothered by the barn/hay smells so I had to give that up, and I really miss it. I've always owned dogs as a kid and now. The affection and company we enjoy far outweighs any negatives. She is groomed often, and is bathed every couple days. She's a frenchie, and I particularly chose a small easy care breed. Short hair that rarely sheds, small and easy to transport and control, needs minimal exercise for when I'm sick and unable to provide that. But still very muscular and tough enough to play with.
I will say, last year I was laid up on IVs for a month and that little thing just sat with me on the sofa for a month. She was my best little bud.
The kids and I can't imagine not having her around.

nmw0615

I have two dogs right now. During my entire life, I've always lived with at least one dog. We've also had birds (got rid of those after they posed a cf problem), hamsters, guinea pigs, and my father has had a fish tank my entire life. Personally, I could not get through some things without my dog. He's a cocker spaniel, so he sheds, but we keep him groomed with a shorter cut, he gets a rinse off every two weeks in the winter, every week in the summer, and a bath every 6 weeks. The comfort I get from him far outweighs the risk he brings. For example, he is not a dog that cuddles. Ever. But the night I came home after getting my port placed, I was feeling pretty down. He picked up on it and spent the entire night glued to my side. And to be honest, I miss him more than I miss my family when I'm in the hospital. My family can visit, but he can't.

That said, pets can only provide comfort when you are ready. They will always carry a risk of germs and bacteria, however research breeds to find the one that fits best for you. A dog with shorter fur, that doesn't shed, that is active but can also relax when you are sick...all important factors. When it's time to have a dog, you'll know because it will feel right.

azdesertrat

I've had dogs in my life since I was born. Currently, we have a 10yr old Australian Cattle Dog. She's a wild child! She saved my life. I was getting very sick before we got her. When my Wife brought her home, I told myself 'I can't die now, I gotta see how this puppy turns out!' She hasn't disappointed. She gives me doggy kisses all the time & I've never been sick because of her. I always use hand sanitizer after I pet her. Believe me, she contributes way more to my life than I could have ever imagined. She is very much worth any risk she may pose. I've had a transplant too, so you'd think I would be paranoid; scared a dog could make me deahly ill. That's not the case. I adore our dog & could never live without a dog in my life.

From someone with CF, I grew up with cats, my mom was allergic to dogs. I am not going to tell you how you feel about germs and I am not going to criticize by any means. I am 34, about to be 35, I am not a germaphobe. It is a good thing because I could not work in the hospital working as a nurse if I was. I have had cats for the past 27 years, they were my live "teddy bears" my loyal kitties, and my "children" when I got older. My main point is for some a pet and companion can be very healthy. Especially when there are some "restrictions" as a cf child. But first and for most you as the parnt has to be ready first. Good luck, I hope I as able to help even if just a slight bit.

kmhbeauty

I say live life! I was dx at 15 so I never worried as a kid about these sorts of things. I grew up around animals and horses. Rode horses, showed, and competed. Even got thrown in the horse manure. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I believe its not what we expose our selves to because germs are everywhere its how strong our system is at preventing us getting sick because of these things. Im 28, and cf will not stop me from living life. I have a cat that I love dearly and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She brings me more joy than anything in this world.

jaimers

Super Moderator
we had little dogs growing up and i just loved them! one was a pure bred Havanese and the other was a Havanese/Poodle mix. i was/am allergic to cats and had the same issues with barn/hay dust as mamascarlett so had to stop riding horses. There are dogs out there that are deemed "hypo-allergenic." doesn't mean they don't shed (certainly not as much as some dogs) but it's a hair vs. fur thing, i think. a lot of them are smaller dogs which may feel less crazy than having a big dog running around. as others have said, definitely don't do it if you're not all in. animals can bring such joy but are a lot of work and if it leaves you a total nervous wreck/mess all the time then that's no way to live and you'll burn out!