Salt water pools

zaj1139

I have heard that CFers cannot go in Salt Water Pools. My grandson is 4 and my mother just purchased a home with a salt water pool. What are the risks as to why they cannot go in the pool? I know I read before on this site of people who were using Salt Water Pools just not Hot Tubs. Could someone explain this to us?​

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall issues regarding salt water pools mentioned, but salt ROOMS...

DS swims in a fresh water lake, as well as in a chlorinated pool. We do avoid hot tubs at the higher temps can lead to increased bacteria. Salt water pools still have some sort of filtration system as well as certain chemicals to keep the water clean.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I don't recall ever hearing that a salt water pool is harmful to CFers. My sister has a salt water pool, and the salt cell produces chlorine for the pool. I think the whole issue, for chlorine or salt pools, is maintenance. As long as the pool is maintained, the safety should be the same for both types of pools.

debs2girls

Our doctor said we needed to either use a salt filtration system or have it heavily chlorinated or dd has to stay out and definitely no hot tubs ever!

Kimmiegirl

I know the beach is good for CF'ers because of the salt in the air & water. So I agree with the others it is not the salt but the maintenance or lack there of that would create a problem. But I would talk to your CF clinic, just in case, there is any reason they would disagree. Agree again, no hot tubs ever.

RayRDT

Chlorine or salty water do not kill ALL bacteria. My ENT told me that you find PA in pools, probably more in salty ones. If you still want a child to bathe in one, he/she could put ear plugs and nose plugs. Read on swimmers ear (it's PA in the ear and it is caught in a swimming pool). SPAs are a NO-NO for sure. Just my 2 cents ;-)

RDT.

zaj1139

Thanks to everyone who responded. We will be hiring a pool maintence company so hopefully it will be maintained well. We also have a hot tub (both at our house and my mothers) and we DO NOT let him in that. Using test strips before entry seems to me to be a good idea. We live in GA so we should have many months of enjoyment!