Scar tissue

latebloomer

I've been in the hospital for a PICC line 6 times with the lines all in my upper arms. I was wondering if they would start placing the lines elsewhere eventually when to much scar tissue builds up. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
latebloomer

jshet

Have you ever considered a port? My son got one in April, and he loves it. It truly has made things so much better for him.

jshet

He goes in about 4 times a year. He also has severe bone loss and is receiving infusion therapy 2 days every 3 months for 9 hrs. each day. He does have other conditions and has blood draws fairly often.

we initially got the port becsuse he also has autism, and getting an I V or picc placed was a tramatic experience each time. His comfort level with the port is amazing. With the numbing cream, he feels nothing when they access him, and he has both hands free to play video games.

Oboe

Depending on your veins, it may take a while. I've had piccs 1-3 times a year since 2009, a little more sparsely before then but still every couple of years and, fortunately, I haven't burnt out my veins yet. As someone else said, your other option is a port. Not something I want to do until necessary personally, but it's basically a more permanent IV in your chest. When it's not accessed for therapy, it just requires some occasional dressing changes.

Ayn

I think it's a personal choice if you want a port or not. They will let you know once your veins are used up but with 6 piccs you should be fine for a while. I've have 17 and my right arm still works fine *knock on wood*. Good luck to you!

imported_Momto2

I'm at the same place you are latebloomer. They cant get PICC lines in me anymore, so next time its a port. I have really tough veins to begin with :( Only actually had 5-6 PICC total. Rest of damage all done from peripheral IV's, of which I've had hundreds.

MikeInMT

I'm at the same place you are latebloomer. They cant get PICC lines in me anymore, so next time its a port. I have really tough veins to begin with :( Only actually had 5-6 PICC total. Rest of damage all done from peripheral IV's, of which I've had hundreds.
same here, i have had so many iv's in my armss was pretty rare for them to start one, then same with picc lines. I loved my port and wished I had gotten it several years sooner. (port was removed during my trasnsplant)