Scared about the future?

Livvy1995

I’m a CFer and college senior. I’m in the process of applying to graduate school, but I’m scared that I might be wasting my time getting an upper-level degree, because I won’t be able to work enough during my life to pay off school debt. I am relatively healthy, with an FEV of 89%, but I always feel like I’m getting sick. I don’t know if I’m being realistic or not, but it’s just a nagging fear I have. Have any of you dealt with something similar? How did you deal with it?

kenna2

Absolutely continue to get your degree. With the new meds that are coming out and our lifespan expectations rising, you very well could continue to work a long time. I say while you're focused and young and still have the ability and no real responsibilities (house payment and what not) go for it. You'll be happy you did. Also there are a lot of high paying jobs out there that will allow you to work from home, which is great for us because of our amazing multitasking abilities.

treehugger

I am a college professor and was diagnosed early in my career. I think a graduate degree is worth it for the experience in itself. If you really love your subject/field the ability to focus on it can be so rewarding. Graduate work is so different than undergraduate. I would tell your major professor after you are accepted if you are comfortable doing so. I have had students of my own with different issues and I am glad they shared so I understood how to best help them. Will you be on assistantship and does the University cover health insurance to some degree? Does your field require research outdoors?

Printer

Livvy:

Next week I will be 78. I have 2 college degrees and I have been married for 55 years. Yesterday I chatted with a guy 57 who was dx at age 41. His mother tested positive at that thim also, today she is 94.

Contact CFF to discuss the scholarships available for CF Patients.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I'm not in the same position, but no, you're not wasting time. Continue to go for what you want in life. You can't predict the future too far ahead. We wouldn't get anywhere if we kept saying, "what if"

hugs,

scanboyd

Go for your grad school if so desire. I will be 70 next month. After workeing in Nuclear Medicine at the same Mdical ctr. for 35 yrs. I retired to take better care of my CF on encouraging words from my wife and pulmonologist. My job was 50+ hrs. A wk. with night call and wkend call so it was not a regular 40hrs. a wk. I did my Nuc. Med. education at Duke U. moved back to Ms. to be close to my brother who had CF also. This was 1970-71 time frame. God has more than blessed me.

dbtoo2

what if tomorrow comes?

What if tomorrow comes?

All your life you're told, that you will never grow too old.
Your life defined by a DNA strand, mutated uncontrolled.

"Don't expect to be able to do, like others without this disease."
"You can't", "You shouldn't", "You must not", of these we must appease.

But really, what if tomorrow comes? What did I do with today?
Did I use it to prepare my life, or just sustain it in some way?

Was today a day for living, or just for surviving another hour?
Did I lose it to the fear of expecting to die, or did I find an inner power?

A power from within that says, no matter what, I won't believe...
I'll find hope, choose to cope, this is the 'truth' I will perceive.

"Living to die" or "Dieing to live", what a choice we have to face.
I won't allow this circumstance to define what I embrace.

Pills, and puffs, IV's, and such, it may be worse for you than me.
Is it because of how we've lived, or just some luck genetically?

I don't know! Live today preparing for a tomorrow.

d.k.Busfield
dx at age 14 - that was 1971. i got my masters at age 52...

Last edited: