Scholarships

kmhbeauty

Have any of you applied to a scholarship for CF and got it? If so, which did you apply for? I have applied to many through Boomer Esiason and have not received one. I am single (No kids, no husband, no family), moderate income (25-30k a year), approx. 3.0 gpa. Even though I am able to work and make money, I live paycheck to paycheck and that doesn't cover the 20k for my bachelors that I am currently racking up. I am almost finished with my bachelors, I am scared to start to pay that loan because I already struggle and Im about to quit one of my jobs because food serving is difficult for me with late night shifts. Any advice on scholarships or programs through CF that will help you pay off student loans? Please help! Thank you!

Dear kmhbeauty: (I just responded on your other post :)) My son also graduated with his bachelors. He applied for the scholarships through the Boomer Esiason Foundation too and, like you, did not get a single one. He did apply for a scholarship that was given at his university and received that one and also a scholarship that was offered through the clinic we go to that was paid for by a person who had lost their child. They granted him that scholarship of $1,000 for each year of his four years. You might check at your clinic to see if they have anything like that. Other than that, we took out parent plus loans for him and also gave him money and he also took out many loans (including private). He had to keep letting them know his income as you can apply for income-based repayments. You might also check with your university in the "Disability" department to see if they have any scholarships you can apply for. Even if you are not technically disabled as far as Social Security goes, you may be "disabled" because of CF as far as the university's guidelines.

Oboe

I'm sure you've already done this but it can't hurt to suggest, but see if you don't qualify for a pell grant. I got a 100% free ride from it. Though, to be fair, I also only had my SSI as income in college so technically had a taxable income of $0.

kmhbeauty

Thank you for your posts. I cant get pell grant because I make too much money. I was getting it at the community college when I only showed 12k a year. I wish I could still receive it because it was great help. @believeingjesus I am just surprised because I am 29 years old, with no one helping me financially so I don't get why I wasn't awarded a scholarship. Im guessing because I have income. I am going to look into loan forgiveness. I have heard of loan forgiveness on ads but never looked into it. It is going to be difficult to afford a 300 dollar payment once I finish my bachelors in 4 months. Thanks for your help :) I will talk to my clinic also.

Dear Kmhbeauty - Yes I feel you should have got a scholarship too as you don't have anyone to help you, I remember your other posts. I feel for you as you are really trying and its even hard for people with 2 incomes to make it in this costly world let alone one income. We don't have much to spare anymore as we have tried to help our boys financially probably more than most parents do. I couldn't understand why my son did not get one with the Esiason Foundation either. He really tried hard for that one but got nowhere. There probably are plenty of people with CF applying and idk how they figure it. The social worker at our clinic told my son about the scholarship they were offering back then (the $1,000 for each of 4 years). Maybe you could ask the social worker at your clinic if they have anything like that anyone is offering. I would look into the loan forgiveness program too. My son mentioned to me a long time ago something like if he was declared "disabled" by SS standards that the federal loans only would be forgiven that he alone took out (not the parent-plus loans we took out for him). Of course, I don't want him or you to be disabled. He also mentioned something like 10 years (I don't know if it was 10 or how many) and the loans drop off the governments books. I don't know if that is right or not so don't take my word for it as I have heard of them coming after doctors that took out loans and never paid them back. But you might look into all that. I don't know what we would do if my son could not make his own loan payments either as his are tremendous too. I hope you find something out that will help you.

P

Patti Rowland

Have any of you applied to a scholarship for CF and got it? If so, which did you apply for? I have applied to many through Boomer Esiason and have not received one. I am single (No kids, no husband, no family), moderate income (25-30k a year), approx. 3.0 gpa. Even though I am able to work and make money, I live paycheck to paycheck and that doesn't cover the 20k for my bachelors that I am currently racking up. I am almost finished with my bachelors, I am scared to start to pay that loan because I already struggle and Im about to quit one of my jobs because food serving is difficult for me with late night shifts. Any advice on scholarships or programs through CF that will help you pay off student loans? Please help! Thank you!

My daughter applied for a scholarship from the CF Foundation. The first year she received a one time $1,000. The next year she reapplied and was awarded the same amount but this time it was multi~year. We were so grateful for this help.
She did receive one scholarship once from Boomer. There are several they offer and she has reapplied to them all every year and never received another one again. I get the feeling they are looking for athletes. She works out but is not on any organized sports team and she does not run marathons. She is too busy working and going to school!
My daughter also received a one time scholarship from Eastern Star of which her grandmother is a member. This was not a CF related scholarship, of course, but if you have a parent or grandparent who is still a dues paying mason or member of this kind of chapter - we were so surprised and thrilled when she received $1,000 from them as well. I am not sure if any of these would help with student loans. I feel bad that you are working so hard to get ahead and have to even worry about this.
When you say you are almost finished with your bachelors I don't know if you mean you have one more year or if you mean this spring and now you just have loans. I think they will work with you on delaying your payments if necessary if these are government student loans. I wish you all the best.

kmhbeauty

[h=3]Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge[/h]A TPD discharge relieves you from having to repay a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loan, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loan, and/or Federal Perkins Loan (Perkins Loan) Program loan or complete a TEACH Grant service obligation on the basis of your total and permanent disability. Before your federal student loans or TEACH Grant service obligation can be discharged, you must provide information to the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to show that you are totally and permanently disabled. ED will evaluate the information and determine if you qualify for a TPD discharge.
You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:

1. If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.
  2. If you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can submit a Social Security Administration (SSA) notice of award for SSDI or SSI benefits stating that your next scheduled disability review will be within five to seven years from the date of your most recent SSA disability determination.
  3. You can submit certification from a physician that you are totally and permanently disabled. Your physician must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that

• Can be expected to result in death,
  • Has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months, or
  • Can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months.
For more information, go to Total and Permanent Disability Discharge.

kmhbeauty: I just saw your post. What do you mean you can not ever work again???? That is what I was talking about in my earlier post to you that my son told me about this. I do not understand what you said - you can not ever work again? As I stated before, my son said you have to be declared "disabled" by Social Security standards and then you can have the federal loans forgiven that you take out but not any parent-plus loans or any private loans.

kmhbeauty: I also wanted to tell you - did you look up "loan forgiveness" on google? I did and it talks about Obamas loan forgiveness programs. It says to call 855-801-6737 and they will talk with you about your options. I feel just having CF is qualifying but I really don't know if that will pass if your health is pretty good. It never hurts to ask though even for the future if anything ever changes.

kmhbeauty

I looked it up and you have to not work for a total of 3 years but I cant be without work that long. I will try to call the number, thank you

brad.johns

Received one of the Boomer Esiason Foundation Scholarships and I also received the Elizabeth Nash Foundation Scholarship.