Self-Compassion

ladybird

For everyone suffering from depression, low self-esteem, or just feeling like a burden, or, in my case, incredibly angry that a successful career has been put on hold by this ghastly illness, I highly recommend Kristin Neff's book Self-Compassion. This will stop the warring factions within and the negative self-talk. I have learned more about myself by reading this than from any therapist and it has brought me great comfort.

2roses

Thanks for the book recommendation Ladybird. Just looked at the comments on Amazon that highly rate it. I'm ordering it!

W

windex125

I love to read, I as well will check it out, over the years I've read a lot of self help books, as the depression does come and go and I've tried the therapy as well but I don't really think they get it. So I try to build my own self confidence and survival, a strong mind is the best medicine ever.

ladybird

Hi Windex

Thanks for the reply, I definitely agree with you about therapists not getting it. I so wish more than anything that I could accept that I am probably going to be sick and disabled for the rest of my life but I am still angry. I want peace but instead find despair. I think the mental health side is just as bad as the physical side.