self medication in schools? please help!

jamoncita

call me thick, but how is anyone going to know he's taking his enzymes on his own? can't he just pop em in when he's ready to eat, and skip the nurse's office altogether??

jamoncita

call me thick, but how is anyone going to know he's taking his enzymes on his own? can't he just pop em in when he's ready to eat, and skip the nurse's office altogether??

W

witzersmom

We also sneak enzymes. They are in her pocket for any lunch or unforseen snack. Was tired of her missing half her lunch with her friends.<br>

W

witzersmom

We also sneak enzymes. They are in her pocket for any lunch or unforseen snack. Was tired of her missing half her lunch with her friends.<br>

cfmom23

<P>Christine-</P>
<P></P>
<P>Get rid of the 504 and go for the full IEP. Through my push in the school we had my son put on an IEP with a handicap condition of OHI Minor. Along with him being permitted to take his pills at lunch (your doctor will need to write this up. Ours wrote it as must take enzymes throughout his lunch) We also requested and received the following:</P>
<P>1. will complete all of his schoolwork as health permits with extended time and/or home instruction as needed.</P>
<P>2. accommodations need made to the daily attendance policy in the event an exacerbation</P>
<P>3. after 5 days absent will receive home instruction</P>
<P>4. will be permitted to complete all work leading up to a test and exhibit understanding of material prior to testing</P>
<P>5. during periods of hospitalization teachers will provide recorded lectures and notes outlining lesson and any discussions held in class</P>
<P>6. during hospitalization or extended absence homework should be limited to the absolute essentials</P>
<P>7. shortened school day to accommodate decrese in physical stamina and/or IV therapy following exacerbation of CF</P>
<P></P>
<P>You should have NO PROBLEM setting this up and if you do there are advocates in every state by calling the Department of Education and asking to speak with the Special Education Dept.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Good Luck!</P>

cfmom23

<P>Christine-</P>
<P></P>
<P>Get rid of the 504 and go for the full IEP. Through my push in the school we had my son put on an IEP with a handicap condition of OHI Minor. Along with him being permitted to take his pills at lunch (your doctor will need to write this up. Ours wrote it as must take enzymes throughout his lunch) We also requested and received the following:</P>
<P>1. will complete all of his schoolwork as health permits with extended time and/or home instruction as needed.</P>
<P>2. accommodations need made to the daily attendance policy in the event an exacerbation</P>
<P>3. after 5 days absent will receive home instruction</P>
<P>4. will be permitted to complete all work leading up to a test and exhibit understanding of material prior to testing</P>
<P>5. during periods of hospitalization teachers will provide recorded lectures and notes outlining lesson and any discussions held in class</P>
<P>6. during hospitalization or extended absence homework should be limited to the absolute essentials</P>
<P>7. shortened school day to accommodate decrese in physical stamina and/or IV therapy following exacerbation of CF</P>
<P></P>
<P>You should have NO PROBLEM setting this up and if you do there are advocates in every state by calling the Department of Education and asking to speak with the Special Education Dept.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Good Luck!</P>

Good advice, thanks for the details to ask for! We've got most of that set up, but I like the idea of recorded lectures and also having UNDERSTANDING of the info before taking a test. We got whammied with that one and ended up with a D on one of my son's classes on his grade card. I've gone to the counselor and am working to get that changed to a K (pass grade) instead as he took a test after being gone for the last 2 weeks. <br>Christine<br>

Good advice, thanks for the details to ask for! We've got most of that set up, but I like the idea of recorded lectures and also having UNDERSTANDING of the info before taking a test. We got whammied with that one and ended up with a D on one of my son's classes on his grade card. I've gone to the counselor and am working to get that changed to a K (pass grade) instead as he took a test after being gone for the last 2 weeks. <br>Christine<br>

cfmom23

<P>Be your child's advocate because the school certainly is not!! There is so much information I wish someone had told me about that i will pass on whatever I can to others.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

cfmom23

<P>Be your child's advocate because the school certainly is not!! There is so much information I wish someone had told me about that i will pass on whatever I can to others.</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

Cuddelykoala13

Ok so I'm 13 years old and I'm going through the same problem. If I had to make the nurse follow me around I would so fell like a freak show ugh! But my mother asked the doctor to write a letter to the school stated that it would be best if I could learn to take them by myself at school so I would be more responsible! I know how to take them but that letter helped I just have my purse where ever I go and then at lunch time I take them! It's awesome!

Cuddelykoala13

Ok so I'm 13 years old and I'm going through the same problem. If I had to make the nurse follow me around I would so fell like a freak show ugh! But my mother asked the doctor to write a letter to the school stated that it would be best if I could learn to take them by myself at school so I would be more responsible! I know how to take them but that letter helped I just have my purse where ever I go and then at lunch time I take them! It's awesome!

M

mneville

We fought a lot in NJ to allow the public school to let Aidan carry and administer own enzymes. At age 4 in Full Day Kindergarten, we won. I pack the enzymes with his snack and lunch and he does them totally on his own. It has never been an issue! Good luck!

M

mneville

We fought a lot in NJ to allow the public school to let Aidan carry and administer own enzymes. At age 4 in Full Day Kindergarten, we won. I pack the enzymes with his snack and lunch and he does them totally on his own. It has never been an issue! Good luck!

Havoc

I had a similar problem in school and my doc wrote a very stern letter. While not overtly threatening it, in effect, said that if the school did not follow his orders he would pursue legal action. I had no problems after that.

You are responsible for following your doctor's orders and anyone who gets in the way of that (employer or school) puts themselves in a very tricky position. It can lead to criminal and civil cases.

Havoc

I had a similar problem in school and my doc wrote a very stern letter. While not overtly threatening it, in effect, said that if the school did not follow his orders he would pursue legal action. I had no problems after that.

You are responsible for following your doctor's orders and anyone who gets in the way of that (employer or school) puts themselves in a very tricky position. It can lead to criminal and civil cases.