self medication in schools? please help!

I'm having a battle with my son's middle school to update the 504 plan to allow him to administer his own pills at lunch.  I've got a meeting to update the plan next Thursday and I asked that the district supervisor of the nurses attend.  They are adamant that my son is not allowed to swallow his enzymes unless he is in the nurse's office.  My son currently goes to the nurse and swallows his enzymes, then to lunchroom, sits at a table with his friends until that table is called, then goes through the lunchline to get his food, then FINALLY gets to eat.<br><br>He's been home all week flushing out an obstruction in his intestines and I'm sure the delay is contributing to this issue.  The school wants to either have my son walk through the line first (still a delay AND it singles him out as a special kid different from his peers) or they would let the nurse walk him through the lunchline, then stand over him while he swallows the pills (pills would be taken with food, but my son feels he'd be a major freakshow in front of his peers).<br><br>Has anyone had success getting a reluctant school to allow their children to take their own enzymes?  I even said I had no problem with my son stopping by the nurse's office each morning, picking up the packet of 6 enzymes for lunch, putting them in his locker until lunch.  He can swallow them all at once and quietly so no one would notice but his closest friends sitting near him.<br><br>Any help or advice would be appreciated!!<br>Thanks,<br>Christine<br>

I'm having a battle with my son's middle school to update the 504 plan to allow him to administer his own pills at lunch. I've got a meeting to update the plan next Thursday and I asked that the district supervisor of the nurses attend. They are adamant that my son is not allowed to swallow his enzymes unless he is in the nurse's office. My son currently goes to the nurse and swallows his enzymes, then to lunchroom, sits at a table with his friends until that table is called, then goes through the lunchline to get his food, then FINALLY gets to eat.<br><br>He's been home all week flushing out an obstruction in his intestines and I'm sure the delay is contributing to this issue. The school wants to either have my son walk through the line first (still a delay AND it singles him out as a special kid different from his peers) or they would let the nurse walk him through the lunchline, then stand over him while he swallows the pills (pills would be taken with food, but my son feels he'd be a major freakshow in front of his peers).<br><br>Has anyone had success getting a reluctant school to allow their children to take their own enzymes? I even said I had no problem with my son stopping by the nurse's office each morning, picking up the packet of 6 enzymes for lunch, putting them in his locker until lunch. He can swallow them all at once and quietly so no one would notice but his closest friends sitting near him.<br><br>Any help or advice would be appreciated!!<br>Thanks,<br>Christine<br>

I'm having a battle with my son's middle school to update the 504 plan to allow him to administer his own pills at lunch. I've got a meeting to update the plan next Thursday and I asked that the district supervisor of the nurses attend. They are adamant that my son is not allowed to swallow his enzymes unless he is in the nurse's office. My son currently goes to the nurse and swallows his enzymes, then to lunchroom, sits at a table with his friends until that table is called, then goes through the lunchline to get his food, then FINALLY gets to eat.<br><br>He's been home all week flushing out an obstruction in his intestines and I'm sure the delay is contributing to this issue. The school wants to either have my son walk through the line first (still a delay AND it singles him out as a special kid different from his peers) or they would let the nurse walk him through the lunchline, then stand over him while he swallows the pills (pills would be taken with food, but my son feels he'd be a major freakshow in front of his peers).<br><br>Has anyone had success getting a reluctant school to allow their children to take their own enzymes? I even said I had no problem with my son stopping by the nurse's office each morning, picking up the packet of 6 enzymes for lunch, putting them in his locker until lunch. He can swallow them all at once and quietly so no one would notice but his closest friends sitting near him.<br><br>Any help or advice would be appreciated!!<br>Thanks,<br>Christine<br>

T

TonyaH

I would suggest you contact your son's clinic and ask them to write a letter to the school explaining the physical, social, and emotional importance of your son self-administering his enzymes. I am sure this will not be the first time your team has had to do this for a patient. I understand why schools put rules in place, but our kids' situation is different, and deserves exception. I'll be the school changes their tune when they recieve your doctor's letter. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

I would suggest you contact your son's clinic and ask them to write a letter to the school explaining the physical, social, and emotional importance of your son self-administering his enzymes. I am sure this will not be the first time your team has had to do this for a patient. I understand why schools put rules in place, but our kids' situation is different, and deserves exception. I'll be the school changes their tune when they recieve your doctor's letter. Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Printer

The Laws of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 71, Section 54B, reads in part as follows: Northwithstanding any general or special law or regulation to the contrary, no school district shall prohibit students with cystic fibrosis from possessing and administering prescription enzyme supplements in accordance with department of health regulations concerning students' self-administration of prescription medications. I would that you contact your state legeslators in order to begin the process to introduce this law to all states. Bill

Printer

The Laws of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 71, Section 54B, reads in part as follows: Northwithstanding any general or special law or regulation to the contrary, no school district shall prohibit students with cystic fibrosis from possessing and administering prescription enzyme supplements in accordance with department of health regulations concerning students' self-administration of prescription medications. I would that you contact your state legeslators in order to begin the process to introduce this law to all states. Bill

Printer

The Laws of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 71, Section 54B, reads in part as follows: <BR><BR>Northwithstanding any general or special law or regulation to the contrary, no school district shall prohibit students with cystic fibrosis from possessing and administering prescription enzyme supplements in accordance with department of health regulations concerning students' self-administration of prescription medications. <BR><BR>I would that you contact your state legeslators in order to begin the process to introduce this law to all states. <BR><BR>Bill

Printer

You can Google Commonwealth of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 71, Section 54B for the complete law.

Bill

Printer

You can Google Commonwealth of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 71, Section 54B for the complete law.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Bill

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christine,

Does your son have an IEP in place for school? Taking enzymes is a simple thing a child can do to develop self confidence in taking control of their own health.

My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade and has been taking her enzymes herself since she started kindergarten. It is really a non issue. I pack a little pill case with her snack enzymes and lunch enzymes and she takes them herself. People barely notice her swallow the pills. I leave a bottle enzymes in the nurse office just in case there is a party or snack that happens at school and she has extra.

Most children or adults for that matter would not be able to swallow your child' pills by accident. The pills are just too big!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christine,

Does your son have an IEP in place for school? Taking enzymes is a simple thing a child can do to develop self confidence in taking control of their own health.

My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade and has been taking her enzymes herself since she started kindergarten. It is really a non issue. I pack a little pill case with her snack enzymes and lunch enzymes and she takes them herself. People barely notice her swallow the pills. I leave a bottle enzymes in the nurse office just in case there is a party or snack that happens at school and she has extra.

Most children or adults for that matter would not be able to swallow your child' pills by accident. The pills are just too big!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christine,
<br />
<br />Does your son have an IEP in place for school? Taking enzymes is a simple thing a child can do to develop self confidence in taking control of their own health.
<br />
<br />My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade and has been taking her enzymes herself since she started kindergarten. It is really a non issue. I pack a little pill case with her snack enzymes and lunch enzymes and she takes them herself. People barely notice her swallow the pills. I leave a bottle enzymes in the nurse office just in case there is a party or snack that happens at school and she has extra.
<br />
<br />Most children or adults for that matter would not be able to swallow your child' pills by accident. The pills are just too big!

My son WAS able to take his enzymes by himself at our last school district, but we've moved to another one in Kansas and they're NOT working with CF kids.  Kids with asthma or extreme allergies get to carry around their inhalers and epi-pens.  It seems like a double standard to me.<br><br>

My son WAS able to take his enzymes by himself at our last school district, but we've moved to another one in Kansas and they're NOT working with CF kids. Kids with asthma or extreme allergies get to carry around their inhalers and epi-pens. It seems like a double standard to me.<br><br>

My son WAS able to take his enzymes by himself at our last school district, but we've moved to another one in Kansas and they're NOT working with CF kids. Kids with asthma or extreme allergies get to carry around their inhalers and epi-pens. It seems like a double standard to me.<br><br>

Tonya, my CF clinic has already sent a letter stating the medical and emotional needs for children with CF to be able to take their own meds at lunch.  No luck.  We've got a major meeting with the district to update our plan 504.<br>

Tonya, my CF clinic has already sent a letter stating the medical and emotional needs for children with CF to be able to take their own meds at lunch. No luck. We've got a major meeting with the district to update our plan 504.<br>