Sex, Religion, and Politics...

anonymous

Just wondering, maybe we should have seperate forums for all 3 since there are those of us who find discussing one or more of the above offensive. I have to agree with Luke and Q, if we're going to relegate all discussion of religion to the "prayer requests" folder, why don't we follow suit and have a seperate folder for sex and one for politics? How about abortion, too, since that causes a lot of controversy? Well, then, how about a folder for whether or not to have another child when you know you carry the cf gene? And, then there's the working vs. SAHM debate and the daycare debate. Oh, and of course, the to shelter or not shelter our cfer debate. Ok, my point is instead of relegating all these many topics which can/have/and could cause controversy to seperate folders, how about we just discuss them rationally, like adults? If we don't feel rational at the time we're reading a post, maybe we should leave the forum and come back at a time we do feel more rational? Ok, now for my own personal opinion: I hate to see the posts all banned to sections everyone may not enter because maybe we don't only want to hear opinions similiar to our own. In my opinion, part of living and learning is being open to at least <i>hearing</i> others views. After all, a belief isn't really a belief until it's tried and tested. Other thing is, I've noticed a couple times that people who get offended and suggest that we have different forums actually end up posting on those forums. My question is, if it's so offensive to you, why do you bother to read it when it's been moved to another section as you've requested??

Ok, so, now, my real question, maybe we should take a vote and see how many people want a seperate forum for discussing "hot" topics (as opposed to 50 million forums for the various topics that cause controversy?) Any ideas, suggestions?
Mel

I

IG

To classify it, or put it in another forum won't stop the debates, only move them.
As long as you have hot topic discussions you will have [and particularly on this forum <i>very</i>] heated topics.
I think CFers are all hard headed and stubborn.
Or maybe that's just me.

Unless you totally revamp that section, the proposed one, to include heavier moderation I doubt it would stop the offensive/not offensive posts in response.

anonymous

so then, why bother? Why not leave them all here and everyone self moderate? If a topic is too heated for you, just stay away? I think for those of us who are not atheists or agnostics, we just wonder why we have to be moved to a different forum when other, <b>equally</b> heated topics such as those listed above can stay here??

julie

Because the purpose of this forum is NOT sex, religion and politics by themselves but rather how they play a part in our lives in relationship to CF, it would be pointless to create separate topics.

I do believe that creating separate topics for those things will take away from the purpose of this forum which is not to solely to discuss sex, religion and politics. If people can't discuss them without goning off on a rampage about either of the aforementioned, then they really don't belong posting.

anonymous

Thanks, everyone. That was my point <b>exactly</b>. I don't think discussion of <b>any</b> of these topics, <b>religion</b> included should be moved. I think the "prayer requests" folder should be left as it is, as "prayer requests" which <i>does</i> belong in a seperate folder because it's not a discussion but simply a request for prayers. Now, if everyone can just stop suggesting we move all discussion of religion to the prayer requests folder...
Mel

Lilith

My opinion? People will get offended by those "hot topics" no matter where you put them. That's just part of being involved in any type of forum. Most people just don't think before they type (myself included sometimes). Impulse is a very powerful thing, especially when you feel as if you are being personally attacked. Not that that's a good thing, but it will always happen so long as there are people with opposing views. There's really nothing you can do for it.

Allie

Nothing wrong with a little dissent, also. I find I learn more about people and thier individual characters when the heat is on, anyhow. lol.

CFHockeyMom

I enjoy reading through and responding to all the different kinds of posts on here. What I don't like is when people start tossing around personal attacks.

I don't think the prayer folder necessarily means all religious discussion belongs there. It's simply a folder for prayer requests. Religious discusions, politics, sex, lies and videotapes, are all still welcome here. Let's face it those kinds of posts seem to elicit the most response.