Sharing Recipes

EnergyGal

Hi there

Would it be ok to post some of your favorite meals or recipes here on the supplement thread? Don't you think it would be good to discuss anything we eat or swallow to be out of the norm for CF here. What I am referring to are foods that have great properties to help our health.

I know garlic is good for everyone-helps ward off upper respiratory infections. Ginger is good too and it is great for the stomach. Do any of you eat shitake mushrooms? I have to avoid all of these because they boost T cells since I have new lungs. I hope that you all know of what great foods are out there that help your body heal.

I thought this would be a good thread too

EnergyGal

Hi there

Would it be ok to post some of your favorite meals or recipes here on the supplement thread? Don't you think it would be good to discuss anything we eat or swallow to be out of the norm for CF here. What I am referring to are foods that have great properties to help our health.

I know garlic is good for everyone-helps ward off upper respiratory infections. Ginger is good too and it is great for the stomach. Do any of you eat shitake mushrooms? I have to avoid all of these because they boost T cells since I have new lungs. I hope that you all know of what great foods are out there that help your body heal.

I thought this would be a good thread too

CowTown

I can contribute on this because I was just reading on Dr. Andrew Weil's site about CF nutrition. They don't have much listed in regards to CF, but this I did find.

"....Dr. Mark noted that many health care providers and parents are so focused on increasing the weight of children with CF that they'll allow patients to eat fast food and junk food ? not a good idea. Here's what he recommends:

1) Decrease omega-6 fatty acids:
(most refined vegetable oils, like safflower, sunflower, corn and sesame).
Check labels: these oils are in many snack foods. Replace them with monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, expeller-pressed canola oil or grapeseed oil.

2) Decrease saturated fats (red meat, dairy and coconut oil) and replace with soy-based foods and nuts (such as walnuts, cashews and almonds).

3) Increase omega-3 fatty acids (wild Alaskan salmon, sardines, freshly ground flaxseeds, walnuts, tofu, and other soy foods).

4) Decrease consumption of refined and processed foods, especially products sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

5) Emphasize carbohydrate foods on the low and mid levels of the glycemic index (chewy, grainy breads, beans, sweet potatoes, etc.).

Dr. Mark also stresses the importance of exercise,...he views martial arts as the best choice. And, he also suggests probiotics, products containing "friendly" bacteria that can lessen both lung and digestive problems. One good product is Culturelle, providing a strain of lactobacillus (lactobacillus GG)." -- Andrew Weil, M.D. (2002)

Here's the link to that:
http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA115499/

PS: As retarded as it may sound, this was news to me. All the doctors I've ever been to, say eat whatever you can get your hands on, the more junk food the better they say, mixed with good foods but still... They have always told me that since we're malnurished, we need the extra colesterol, fat and junk in order to get up to "normal" levels of everything. "It's the diet most people dream of." I will start rethinking this.

CowTown

I can contribute on this because I was just reading on Dr. Andrew Weil's site about CF nutrition. They don't have much listed in regards to CF, but this I did find.

"....Dr. Mark noted that many health care providers and parents are so focused on increasing the weight of children with CF that they'll allow patients to eat fast food and junk food ? not a good idea. Here's what he recommends:

1) Decrease omega-6 fatty acids:
(most refined vegetable oils, like safflower, sunflower, corn and sesame).
Check labels: these oils are in many snack foods. Replace them with monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, expeller-pressed canola oil or grapeseed oil.

2) Decrease saturated fats (red meat, dairy and coconut oil) and replace with soy-based foods and nuts (such as walnuts, cashews and almonds).

3) Increase omega-3 fatty acids (wild Alaskan salmon, sardines, freshly ground flaxseeds, walnuts, tofu, and other soy foods).

4) Decrease consumption of refined and processed foods, especially products sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

5) Emphasize carbohydrate foods on the low and mid levels of the glycemic index (chewy, grainy breads, beans, sweet potatoes, etc.).

Dr. Mark also stresses the importance of exercise,...he views martial arts as the best choice. And, he also suggests probiotics, products containing "friendly" bacteria that can lessen both lung and digestive problems. One good product is Culturelle, providing a strain of lactobacillus (lactobacillus GG)." -- Andrew Weil, M.D. (2002)

Here's the link to that:
http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA115499/

PS: As retarded as it may sound, this was news to me. All the doctors I've ever been to, say eat whatever you can get your hands on, the more junk food the better they say, mixed with good foods but still... They have always told me that since we're malnurished, we need the extra colesterol, fat and junk in order to get up to "normal" levels of everything. "It's the diet most people dream of." I will start rethinking this.

EnergyGal

His advice is nice,,,,, but if anyone with cF went soley on this diet they would be so skinny. I think eating meats are important for many reasons. You can always buy certified organic but it is really expensive. I gained a lot of weight on sesame oil at one time. I think whatever foods he mentions cannot hurt us as long as we can eat them to equal a three thousand calorie diet. Everything in moderation. I never believed in eating dairy but did most of my life because I had to consume extra calories. I think it definitely contributes to excessive mucus production and sometimes Soy can too but it is all up to each individual to decide for themselves. I like kefir but I have not decided on if this is a coincidental improvement in my lung function or it was going to happen on its own. Kefir is like yogurt with all the beneficial bacteria like Dr. Weil described. If Dr. Weill had a child with cf then it would be wonderful to see what diet and how well his child did. I feel that is information is based on second hand. I do think he is a wonderful person. I even bought his CD on breathing.

Risa

EnergyGal

His advice is nice,,,,, but if anyone with cF went soley on this diet they would be so skinny. I think eating meats are important for many reasons. You can always buy certified organic but it is really expensive. I gained a lot of weight on sesame oil at one time. I think whatever foods he mentions cannot hurt us as long as we can eat them to equal a three thousand calorie diet. Everything in moderation. I never believed in eating dairy but did most of my life because I had to consume extra calories. I think it definitely contributes to excessive mucus production and sometimes Soy can too but it is all up to each individual to decide for themselves. I like kefir but I have not decided on if this is a coincidental improvement in my lung function or it was going to happen on its own. Kefir is like yogurt with all the beneficial bacteria like Dr. Weil described. If Dr. Weill had a child with cf then it would be wonderful to see what diet and how well his child did. I feel that is information is based on second hand. I do think he is a wonderful person. I even bought his CD on breathing.

Risa

thelizardqueen

That diet may be healthy, but its not going to put weight on us. I think the junk food should be in moderation. Balance it with veggies, fruits, and other healthy things. I don't eat fast food a lot, but what I do for extra calories, is I add sour cream, butter, and cream to my mashed potatoes, or when I eat cereal or a shake, I use half and half instead of 3% milk. I also eat a lot of yogurt and peanut butter. Another way to add fat to your diet is a tablespoon of flax seed oil. I add a tablespoon of this per day to my shakes.

thelizardqueen

That diet may be healthy, but its not going to put weight on us. I think the junk food should be in moderation. Balance it with veggies, fruits, and other healthy things. I don't eat fast food a lot, but what I do for extra calories, is I add sour cream, butter, and cream to my mashed potatoes, or when I eat cereal or a shake, I use half and half instead of 3% milk. I also eat a lot of yogurt and peanut butter. Another way to add fat to your diet is a tablespoon of flax seed oil. I add a tablespoon of this per day to my shakes.

EnergyGal

That is great Liz. Flaxseed oil is wonderful. Do you ever buy the flax seeds by themselves and this to cereal? I add cheese to potatoes and love my macaroni. I currently use olive oil. Tell me about what you use in your shakes?
Thanks
Risa

EnergyGal

That is great Liz. Flaxseed oil is wonderful. Do you ever buy the flax seeds by themselves and this to cereal? I add cheese to potatoes and love my macaroni. I currently use olive oil. Tell me about what you use in your shakes?
Thanks
Risa

thelizardqueen

I don't use the seeds, just the oil in my shakes. My shake recipe is as follows: 1 pkg of chocolate scandishake (you can easily substitute a carnation drink instead), 1/2 cup of 3% milk, 1/2 cup of cream, 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil, & 1/2 a banana. I mix this all up in my blender. Total calories for this shake is about 1115 calories per shake. I drink 2 per day, along with all my meals.

thelizardqueen

I don't use the seeds, just the oil in my shakes. My shake recipe is as follows: 1 pkg of chocolate scandishake (you can easily substitute a carnation drink instead), 1/2 cup of 3% milk, 1/2 cup of cream, 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil, & 1/2 a banana. I mix this all up in my blender. Total calories for this shake is about 1115 calories per shake. I drink 2 per day, along with all my meals.

Allie

Also, high fat food doesn't have to mean 'junk' per se. Ry had a bunch of high fat recipes that were made with real food, and had the positive benefits of garlic and other fresh ingredients. BUT, when you have to gain weight, you have to gain weight. You need the extra for when you gt sick, so I wasn't morally opposed to him eating junk every so often if he needed the extra weight. We just usually tried to get it in other ways. Like so :

Alfredo pesto pasta

1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup walnuts
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup. Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup. heavy whipping cream
8 oz. fettucine, cooked

Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor. Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth. Mix in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Transfer the pesto to a small jar. Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream. Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan in large bowl. Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve. This makes one meal for a Ry type eater at 1560 calories, or two people at 780 calories.

Also, avocado is really good and good for you. Putting it on a sandwich or in a salad adds a bunch of calories to it. Also, cheese with vegetables is a great way to add calories.

Cappelini with mushrooms

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbs. Creole seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large portobello mushrooms, rinsed stemmed, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3/4 lb. angel hair pasta
2 cups spaghetti sauce, hot
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Combine flour with Creole seasoning until thoroughly blended. Dredge mushrooms thoroughly in seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil is hot and almost smoking, add mushrooms and sauté about 1 minute per side until golden brown. Transfer mushrooms to a platter. Set aside and keep warm. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 4-5 minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander. Serve pasta topped with sauce, mushrooms and Parmesan. 854 calories in a serving

I have a bunch more, but I won't bore you lol

Allie

Also, high fat food doesn't have to mean 'junk' per se. Ry had a bunch of high fat recipes that were made with real food, and had the positive benefits of garlic and other fresh ingredients. BUT, when you have to gain weight, you have to gain weight. You need the extra for when you gt sick, so I wasn't morally opposed to him eating junk every so often if he needed the extra weight. We just usually tried to get it in other ways. Like so :

Alfredo pesto pasta

1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup walnuts
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup. Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup. heavy whipping cream
8 oz. fettucine, cooked

Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor. Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth. Mix in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Transfer the pesto to a small jar. Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream. Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan in large bowl. Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve. This makes one meal for a Ry type eater at 1560 calories, or two people at 780 calories.

Also, avocado is really good and good for you. Putting it on a sandwich or in a salad adds a bunch of calories to it. Also, cheese with vegetables is a great way to add calories.

Cappelini with mushrooms

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbs. Creole seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large portobello mushrooms, rinsed stemmed, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3/4 lb. angel hair pasta
2 cups spaghetti sauce, hot
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Combine flour with Creole seasoning until thoroughly blended. Dredge mushrooms thoroughly in seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil is hot and almost smoking, add mushrooms and sauté about 1 minute per side until golden brown. Transfer mushrooms to a platter. Set aside and keep warm. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 4-5 minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander. Serve pasta topped with sauce, mushrooms and Parmesan. 854 calories in a serving

I have a bunch more, but I won't bore you lol