Should he get a port?

jshet

Hi everyone, my son has cf, autism, severe anxiety disorder, bunch of other stuff, and most recently severe osteoporosis. He endocrinologist wants him to start infusion IV therapy as soon as possible. The treatment plan will be IV therapy every 3 months for 2 days lasting 6 hours each day. There will also be blood draws to check levels throughout the treatments. Since it will be outpatient, they will be taking the IV out before he goes hone requiring him to have the IV placed both days.
The treatment will last for one year, then they will repeat the Dexa scan. They said that because of his very low z scores treatment will continue for an additional 1-2 years.
My son has a hard time with needles. His veins are not the greatest and his anxiety can get bad with severe fear, racing heart, cold sweat, ears buzzing, and feeling line he will die. He sees cf clinic, gasto, endo, rheumatology, and nephrology so he does have blood work often. The worst incident is last year when he had his yearly blood draw for cf clinic he experienced everything mentioned above, plus within minutes of arriving home, he blacked out on the second to highest stair in our house and fell down 12 stairs hitting his head and having a seizure.
we are discussing the possibility of a port for him with his pediatrician who is talking with endo. One concern is he has a bleeding disorder. He has had past surgeries and they are always very prepared with blood hanging and ready to go if needed, but it still is scary.
Just wanting some opinions on what to expect if we do it, pros and cons, and whether it is a good idea.the autism makes it hard for him to understand and the anxiety of knowing he will be getting stuck is just as bad as when they are doing it. If they treat for 3 years, that would be 24 IV's being placed just for this medication. Nt including all of the blood work he will need or any other
IV's. Sorry this is so long, I just want to do what is best. Thank you. Jshet

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dear mom...I'm sorry I don't have any insights but I have tears in my eyes thinking what ds has suffered and you to. Please know of thoughts and prayers as you decide with the doctors what us best. Big mommy hugs.

pipersmom

Jshet, I would do it. My daughter has Asperger's and GAD as well. She was receiving IVs often enough that they couldn't place a PICC anymore when she was around 7 yrs old. The port has reduced her anxiety significantly because she always knows what to expect with it. We still get a few tears, but they're nothing compared to when they were placing IVs and PICC lines. Once the port is in place, you can also use emla- a topical anesthetic, P will say she can feel the pressure of the needle going into her port, but no pain. She's 12 now, and on her second port..I only wish we had gone that route sooner than what we did.

On a side note, I access her port myself..home health can teach you to do it, and it's really not hard at all. I think my doing it also saves her a lot of worry/anxiety when it comes time for flushes or for it to be accessed. I even do the needle changes when she's in the hospital. We access it right before she goes inpatient, so it never becomes an issue. I'll be honest and tell you I was a nervous mess when I was first learning to do it, but at this point, it's no big deal and literally takes us less than five minutes to access and flush it. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

jshet

Thank you Aboveallislove for the compassion. My son is very blessed to have so many people
care about him. I really appreciate it.

pipersmom, thank you for sharing your experience. It seems our children have a lot in common. It does sound like the port has with your daughters anxiety, and that is very important to us also.
I was wondering. Has your daughter ever experienced an infection because of it? I am wondering how common this is? My son had a lot of issues when he received his GJ tube requiring 2 rounds f IV antibiotics and 4 rounds of oral antibiotics plus a second surgery.

Thanks is again for sharing your experience. Jshet

pipersmom

We've never had a problem with her port getting infected, and to be honest, I'm active on several CF boards, and have never seen anyone mention an infection. It may be because it seems like it would be harder for a port to get infected...when it's in use, the dressing is covering it at all times unless it's time to access or deaccess. P does take a shower with hibiclens before we access it, and of course, I hand sanitize out the wazoo before I touch her. I'm happy to answer any questions :)