Should I be worried

M

moxie1

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this:

Two weeks ago, I had a check-up and had awesome PFT results for me. My FEV1 was 2.24L (70%) and my FEV25-75% was up like 30%!

The past couple of days I've been checking my FEV1 on the home meter and I am only getting in the low 1.9's.

I feel absolutely fine. I'm not coughing more, I'm not short of breath. In fact, my exercise tolerance is fantastic as I did my hardest aerobics video yesterday and hardly got winded at all. Bottom line, I wouldn't know anything was different if I wasn't checking.

I'm wondering what the deal is. It has been very humid here and I've been having alot of sinus pressure. I'm also waking up in the night with my nose draining, but I had that a few weeks ago too. I'm wondering if I could have a sinus infection, but usually my FEV1 is extra high during them, due to my immune system kicking in a notch higher.

What do y'all think?

<b>*I was blowing even worse numbers today, so I called my clinic and went in for pft's. Praise the Lord, my meter is messed up. My FEV1 was actually up 2%, FVC was up 5%!</b>

M

moxie1

Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago, I had a check-up and had awesome PFT results for me. My FEV1 was 2.24L (70%) and my FEV25-75% was up like 30%!

The past couple of days I've been checking my FEV1 on the home meter and I am only getting in the low 1.9's.

I feel absolutely fine. I'm not coughing more, I'm not short of breath. In fact, my exercise tolerance is fantastic as I did my hardest aerobics video yesterday and hardly got winded at all. Bottom line, I wouldn't know anything was different if I wasn't checking.

I'm wondering what the deal is. It has been very humid here and I've been having alot of sinus pressure. I'm also waking up in the night with my nose draining, but I had that a few weeks ago too. I'm wondering if I could have a sinus infection, but usually my FEV1 is extra high during them, due to my immune system kicking in a notch higher.

What do y'all think?

<b>*I was blowing even worse numbers today, so I called my clinic and went in for pft's. Praise the Lord, my meter is messed up. My FEV1 was actually up 2%, FVC was up 5%!</b>

M

moxie1

Hi Everyone,

What do y'all think?

M

moxie1

Hi Everyone,

What do y'all think?

M

moxie1

Hi Everyone,
<br />
<br />I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this:
<br />
<br />Two weeks ago, I had a check-up and had awesome PFT results for me. My FEV1 was 2.24L (70%) and my FEV25-75% was up like 30%!
<br />
<br />The past couple of days I've been checking my FEV1 on the home meter and I am only getting in the low 1.9's.
<br />
<br />I feel absolutely fine. I'm not coughing more, I'm not short of breath. In fact, my exercise tolerance is fantastic as I did my hardest aerobics video yesterday and hardly got winded at all. Bottom line, I wouldn't know anything was different if I wasn't checking.
<br />
<br />I'm wondering what the deal is. It has been very humid here and I've been having alot of sinus pressure. I'm also waking up in the night with my nose draining, but I had that a few weeks ago too. I'm wondering if I could have a sinus infection, but usually my FEV1 is extra high during them, due to my immune system kicking in a notch higher.
<br />
<br />What do y'all think?
<br />
<br /><b>*I was blowing even worse numbers today, so I called my clinic and went in for pft's. Praise the Lord, my meter is messed up. My FEV1 was actually up 2%, FVC was up 5%!</b>

Transplantmommy

I don't know what you use to check yours at home but I have a microspirometer that I had to have after I got the transplants and I always blow lower on that than I do at my check-ups on the big machines.

And yes, if you are having problems with you sinuses and whatever, your function could go down because of it. During one of my appointments about 4 months after the transplants, I did a lot lower at the office than I had done previously so they scheduled an immediate bronch because they thought it may have been rejection. It showed nothing and they attribute the low numbers to me having problems with my sinuses at the time.

Of course, you could always schedule an appointment to have them checked if you are worried!!

Transplantmommy

I don't know what you use to check yours at home but I have a microspirometer that I had to have after I got the transplants and I always blow lower on that than I do at my check-ups on the big machines.

And yes, if you are having problems with you sinuses and whatever, your function could go down because of it. During one of my appointments about 4 months after the transplants, I did a lot lower at the office than I had done previously so they scheduled an immediate bronch because they thought it may have been rejection. It showed nothing and they attribute the low numbers to me having problems with my sinuses at the time.

Of course, you could always schedule an appointment to have them checked if you are worried!!

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />And yes, if you are having problems with you sinuses and whatever, your function could go down because of it. During one of my appointments about 4 months after the transplants, I did a lot lower at the office than I had done previously so they scheduled an immediate bronch because they thought it may have been rejection. It showed nothing and they attribute the low numbers to me having problems with my sinuses at the time.
<br />
<br />Of course, you could always schedule an appointment to have them checked if you are worried!!

pjspiegle

HI,

We use the PIKO at home to check FEV1 as well. I know that for ours, it is 10% lower than the ones at clinic. So for example, If at clinic Nathan blows a 3.5, then with the PIKO is is usually around 3.13-3.15. Or for a more current example, Tuesday at clinic he blew 3.33 (95% of predicted 11% below his baseline) and at home on the Piko he blew 2.96 (also 95%) in the morning and 2.78 (89%) in the evening.

With the numbers you are giving, yours are just slightly lower than 10% of the hospital ones. Have you ever taken your home one with you to clinic to compare the numbers? How long have you had your home one? Was there any difference before now? I think before I would panic, if you are feeling good, I would take the home one to calibrate it with the clinic numbers, determine if your home one is 10% or more different than theirs and then figure out what the home numbers should be in comparison.

IE: 10% difference in clinic pred. 3.50 = 3.13

2.99 (96%) 2.98(95%) 2.80 (90%) 2.79 (89%)

you figure these numbers by dividing your number by the predicted to give you the percent so above example 2.99 divided by 3.13 gives you 96%

This is probably more than you wanted but I hope it helps some or at least puts it all in prespective for you.

pjspiegle

HI,

We use the PIKO at home to check FEV1 as well. I know that for ours, it is 10% lower than the ones at clinic. So for example, If at clinic Nathan blows a 3.5, then with the PIKO is is usually around 3.13-3.15. Or for a more current example, Tuesday at clinic he blew 3.33 (95% of predicted 11% below his baseline) and at home on the Piko he blew 2.96 (also 95%) in the morning and 2.78 (89%) in the evening.

With the numbers you are giving, yours are just slightly lower than 10% of the hospital ones. Have you ever taken your home one with you to clinic to compare the numbers? How long have you had your home one? Was there any difference before now? I think before I would panic, if you are feeling good, I would take the home one to calibrate it with the clinic numbers, determine if your home one is 10% or more different than theirs and then figure out what the home numbers should be in comparison.

you figure these numbers by dividing your number by the predicted to give you the percent so above example 2.99 divided by 3.13 gives you 96%

This is probably more than you wanted but I hope it helps some or at least puts it all in prespective for you.

pjspiegle

HI,

pjspiegle

HI,

pjspiegle

HI,
<br />
<br />We use the PIKO at home to check FEV1 as well. I know that for ours, it is 10% lower than the ones at clinic. So for example, If at clinic Nathan blows a 3.5, then with the PIKO is is usually around 3.13-3.15. Or for a more current example, Tuesday at clinic he blew 3.33 (95% of predicted 11% below his baseline) and at home on the Piko he blew 2.96 (also 95%) in the morning and 2.78 (89%) in the evening.
<br />
<br />With the numbers you are giving, yours are just slightly lower than 10% of the hospital ones. Have you ever taken your home one with you to clinic to compare the numbers? How long have you had your home one? Was there any difference before now? I think before I would panic, if you are feeling good, I would take the home one to calibrate it with the clinic numbers, determine if your home one is 10% or more different than theirs and then figure out what the home numbers should be in comparison.
<br />
<br />IE: 10% difference in clinic pred. 3.50 = 3.13
<br />
<br />2.99 (96%) 2.98(95%) 2.80 (90%) 2.79 (89%)
<br />
<br />you figure these numbers by dividing your number by the predicted to give you the percent so above example 2.99 divided by 3.13 gives you 96%
<br />
<br />This is probably more than you wanted but I hope it helps some or at least puts it all in prespective for you.
<br />

M

moxie1

hI,

Thanks for your answers so far.

I have already taken into account the 10% difference because I have noticed that I also blow 10% higher at clinic visits.

M

moxie1

hI,

I have already taken into account the 10% difference because I have noticed that I also blow 10% higher at clinic visits.

M

moxie1

hI,

M

moxie1

hI,

M

moxie1

hI,
<br />
<br />Thanks for your answers so far.
<br />
<br />I have already taken into account the 10% difference because I have noticed that I also blow 10% higher at clinic visits.