showerheads

ReneeP

I was reading about this issue yesterday trying to find out what a person can do to protect themselves... I came across an article that included the following two paragraphs.

"In addition to people with weakened immune systems, Falkinham also cited studies showing increased M. avium infections in slender, elderly people who have a single gene for cystic fibrosis, but not the disease itself.

Two copies of the gene are needed to get cystic fibrosis, but having just one copy may result in increased vulnerability to M. avium infection as people age, said Falkinham, who was not part of Pace's research team."

I found that to be very interesting. I have two daughters with CF so I am obviously a carrier and have several symptoms of CF myself (asthma type problems, digestive issues, sinus issues, clubbed fingers and toes) I have heard of several other people who are carriers and have CF issues as well. This article seems to give some weight to that theory.

If you want to read the entire article you can click <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090914/BREAKING/90914027/0/BREAKING01/Showerheads-may-harbor-bacteria-dangerous-to-some--study-says">here.</a>

ReneeP

I was reading about this issue yesterday trying to find out what a person can do to protect themselves... I came across an article that included the following two paragraphs.

"In addition to people with weakened immune systems, Falkinham also cited studies showing increased M. avium infections in slender, elderly people who have a single gene for cystic fibrosis, but not the disease itself.

Two copies of the gene are needed to get cystic fibrosis, but having just one copy may result in increased vulnerability to M. avium infection as people age, said Falkinham, who was not part of Pace's research team."

I found that to be very interesting. I have two daughters with CF so I am obviously a carrier and have several symptoms of CF myself (asthma type problems, digestive issues, sinus issues, clubbed fingers and toes) I have heard of several other people who are carriers and have CF issues as well. This article seems to give some weight to that theory.

If you want to read the entire article you can click <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090914/BREAKING/90914027/0/BREAKING01/Showerheads-may-harbor-bacteria-dangerous-to-some--study-says">here.</a>

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

<br />
<br />"In addition to people with weakened immune systems, Falkinham also cited studies showing increased M. avium infections in slender, elderly people who have a single gene for cystic fibrosis, but not the disease itself.
<br />
<br />Two copies of the gene are needed to get cystic fibrosis, but having just one copy may result in increased vulnerability to M. avium infection as people age, said Falkinham, who was not part of Pace's research team."
<br />
<br />I found that to be very interesting. I have two daughters with CF so I am obviously a carrier and have several symptoms of CF myself (asthma type problems, digestive issues, sinus issues, clubbed fingers and toes) I have heard of several other people who are carriers and have CF issues as well. This article seems to give some weight to that theory.
<br />
<br />If you want to read the entire article you can click <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090914/BREAKING/90914027/0/BREAKING01/Showerheads-may-harbor-bacteria-dangerous-to-some--study-says">here.</a>

babyluke

ashmomo,
I think those bacteria can hang out around any type of faucet/sink/shower but they said on the Today show that the problem with the shower head is that when it is sprayed out with such force from the shower it almost makes the bacteria like an aresol (sp?) that people are breathing in. The doctor they interviewed suggested having an all metal shower head, changing them a couple times a year and letting the shower run for 1-2 minutes before you get in. Or just take baths...

babyluke

ashmomo,
I think those bacteria can hang out around any type of faucet/sink/shower but they said on the Today show that the problem with the shower head is that when it is sprayed out with such force from the shower it almost makes the bacteria like an aresol (sp?) that people are breathing in. The doctor they interviewed suggested having an all metal shower head, changing them a couple times a year and letting the shower run for 1-2 minutes before you get in. Or just take baths...

babyluke

ashmomo,

babyluke

ashmomo,

babyluke

ashmomo,
<br />I think those bacteria can hang out around any type of faucet/sink/shower but they said on the Today show that the problem with the shower head is that when it is sprayed out with such force from the shower it almost makes the bacteria like an aresol (sp?) that people are breathing in. The doctor they interviewed suggested having an all metal shower head, changing them a couple times a year and letting the shower run for 1-2 minutes before you get in. Or just take baths...

ginandbrea

I saw this yesterday on the Today Show and when I cleaned my daughter's bathroom I sprayed the foaming bubbles all in the shower head and up the spout. The foaming bubbles (I buy Target brand) supposedly kills like everything. This is where Pseudomonas likes to hang out, too. The Dr. mentioned to us long ago to turn the water on all the way hot for 2 minutes before bathing or showering to get all of the "settled" water out.

ginandbrea

I saw this yesterday on the Today Show and when I cleaned my daughter's bathroom I sprayed the foaming bubbles all in the shower head and up the spout. The foaming bubbles (I buy Target brand) supposedly kills like everything. This is where Pseudomonas likes to hang out, too. The Dr. mentioned to us long ago to turn the water on all the way hot for 2 minutes before bathing or showering to get all of the "settled" water out.

ginandbrea

ginandbrea

ginandbrea