Sick Days

running4life

Hey guys: check out my blog here
http://www.findingtruth1.blogspot.com/

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Sick days...I hate them. I don't get to work out, I can't walk the dog, and I simply don't feel like myself. At the same time they force me to simply rest. I usually sit in front of the TV, read if I feel well enough, and surf the internet. Sometimes God uses these times for me to simply rest, mentally and physically so that is what I have tried to do.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]I've been sick for the past few days so I though blogging would be perfect. What do you do for sick days?[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]On sick days I focus on a few things:[/FONT][/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Keeping blood sugar under control. Bacteria feed on sugar. This can be a task since often times your body is out of whack and blood sugar can be all over the place.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Hydrating with tons of water and green tea. Hot tea feels great on a raw throat. Water, sparkling water, whatever. As long as it doesn't have sugar or fake sweeteners. A certain amount of juice is acceptable and Gatorade, especially if vomiting (35g of refined sugar is recommended for an adult daily so keep it low, especially on sick days). Drink tons of water!!![/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Eating nutritious foods and plenty of them...tons of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you are unable to stomach food, drink shakes: protein shakes, Carnation Instant breakfast, Scandi Shakes, etc. While I normally don't recommend much highly processed foods, getting calories in is essential. Your body is burning so many each day to heal itself. Fuel it.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Sleep - I will sleep all day if my body allows me to. If you can, take something to help you sleep through the night, but avoid cough suppressants unless absolutely necessary. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Increase breathing treatments. Longer vest treatments with more hypertonic saline and more use of the Acapella as much as possible.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Hot showers to relieve sinus pressure and also to help with pain in upper body and all over. The steam is beneficial to opening up those sinuses and can help relieve that pressure that makes you want to drill a hole in your brain to drain it![/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Stretching my whole body, especially upper body. When my lungs have an active infection, my shoulders and back tend to get VERY tight so I do a lot of foam rolling on my upper body. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Call CF doctor if I see no improvement or my exhaustion level is out of control after 2-3 days. A normal virus or cold will go away within a few days or at least symptoms subside. The important thing is to know the difference between an active lung infection and sinus issues or a virus. You must know your body well enough - takes some trial and error. Call your doc immediately if thats what makes you feel comfortable or you have high fever or coughing up more than 1/2 cup of blood.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Incorporate fresh ginger into your tea. I usually boil chopped ginger into water and then add my green tea. Fresh ginger contributes to relieving congestion and easing a sore throat. It can also calm that cough that never ends from sinus drip. I know that coughing is helpful when you are sick; however, a nasal drip cough can do nothing but keep you awake all night with a raw, sore throat with swollen lymph nodes.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]STOP working out. Yes, take a few days off. Your body doesn't need any more stress. Lay down.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Do some sort of nasal irrigation. This is what I use. I know it may feel super uncomfortable putting more into an already stuffed up head, but this does pay off. Some people recommend 2-3 times a day. I can usually only stand once a day. I follow these with Nasonex to reduce anymore nasal inflammation. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Take Advil (ibuprofen) as needed to help with pain, soreness, and inflammation. If you can't stomach that, go with Tylenol to help pain.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Continue Mucinex around the clock as often as you can. I use the generic 400 mg every 4 hours. Doesn't work for all, but definitely works for me.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Emergen C twice a day. This should be taken daily, but be diligent while you are sick. Helps with immunity. With an increase of vitamin C, deterioration of lung function can actually be slowed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Eat high protein diet if possible. We often lose great amounts of weight when we get sick so in order to maintain some muscle, keep that protein intake high. At least 1 gram per 1 pound of body weight.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Sleep positioned upward a bit. This will help sinus drainage.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Okay, I think that's about it. I want to hear what YOU guys do on sick days. Right now, I'm sick with sinus issues that could possible be related to a root canal today. I haven't followed my own rules as I've been on an ice cream rampage to help soothe the pain, but am getting back on track tomorrow. I am just praying it doesn't go into my lungs. I usually don't catch colds as I am very diligent to wash my hands and what not. But anyway, as always, I wish you each the best of health.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Sources:
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Benefits of Gingerhttp://naturalsociety.com/benefits-...il&utm_term=0_f20e6f9c84-560924930e-323137949
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Sugarhttp://www.serene-health.com/blog.html
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Vitamin Chttp://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-C-intake-corresponds-to-healthy-lungs
[/FONT]

iefisherman

Great vent! We all need that sometimes. Our bad days are something that none of us are proud of, but a reality none the less. I think the fact that you stay in the right mindset says a lot for you. You are you. Good times and hard times. You already know the answer. Just be yourself. If it feels right , then do it. if not, well...don't lol. I honestly think that being confident in our ideas has more to do with our life than any other factor.