Simple question about Prednisone

nocode

Hi,

Do you cough more on Prednisone (in the beginning)?

I know it's supposed to suppress mucus production but I've also heard that in the beginning it may cause you to cough more in case there's old, residual mucus attached to our lungs. But not every doctor is too convinced.
I'm currently going through that. I started on 30mg of Prednisone 1 week ago and since then I've been coughing a lot of really dark and thick mucus which looks different from my usual.

Thanks for the input!

Vaultboy

hi, im shure that will go away after a few days, or even less. i had slightly increased cough with a little "brownish" mucus for about 2 days (on 50 mg prednisone). then it went away. now in the last 2 months on 25mg i had as little cough and mucus like never in the last 15 years. basicly only when doing HTS and besides that no cough all day long. i think you will really enjoy that, its awesome. now that im slowly decreasing prednisone the cough is unfortunatly getting a little more again.. but still better than before.

nocode

Thanks for your response again Vaultboy. I've been on it for 7 days now and still coughing, but i guess it goes to show me how much was there that i hadn't been able to get rid before. And yes, it is also brown.
Let's see if the docs will keep me on it. The goal was about 2 weeks.

Vaultboy

ok, i see. 7 days sounds pretty long, but besides from beeing unconvinient its good to get that stuff out. im sure its one of the "good" coughs, that blows out all the old s**t. just hang in there!

calebf

Prednisone decreases inflammation which allows mucus to loosen up and start to move prompting you to want to cough more. As Vaultboy said I'd characterize this kind of coughing as a "good" cough. Since the mucus is loosening it's a good opportunity to do rounds of albuterol, HTS, and airway clearance back to back in that order to force some intense coughing and expectorate what's in there. I used to be on prednisone all the time, the stuff works well, but the mental side effects (wild mood swings) and prednisone-induced diabetes made it so I can't use it anymore.

JENNYC

Abby usually coughs at the beginning and then she eats me out of house and home and her face swells up like a little marshmallow :)

musclemania70

I am on 5 mg every other day. The days I am on, its much easier to cough junk up. The days I am off, I feel like crap. Its amazing how just a little bit can make such a huge difference in my lungs...

Twistofchaos

@Musclemania70; Do you notice adverse effects in your ability to keep or increase muscle and strength? And do you notice your joints and tendons acting up more quickly when lifting because of Pred?
They say this happens (and why I avoid cortisol steroids as much as possible) but I wonder if anyone really notices.

musclemania70

no i don't notice any side effects on a such a low dose.
Bigger doses, yes, there are lots of side effects that are more noticable.

lilmac1177

i'm on 7.5mg (started on 30mg) Prednisone right now for pretty nasty joint pain i had been having. it's worked wonders for the pain, but it's not ideal as a long-term treatment due to making blood sugars w/ CFRD even worse! i'm on that low dose for another week then we'll see what happens with the pain...