Simple question for cf'ers who are under 30% FEV1 (or post-transplant) see inside

nocode

Hi,

How long have you been below the 30% FEV1 mark? And post-transplant cf'ers - how long were you under 30% before you got your transplant?

I am at 32% now.

Thanks, enjoy your weekend!

Vera, 30

azdesertrat

I was at 13% when transplanted. I was at or under 30% for probably 1 year. Even though I was that low, I wasn't listed until I was at around 25%. It seems that once I hit 25% things really went south in a hurry. I was listed on Dec. 9 of '05. I blew out my left lung in March of '05. The ER doc conferred with my CF & Trans team(s). It was decided I would be put in a medically-induced coma to allow my lungs to heal as best as they could. I was in a coma for a month. At that point in time, I was unqualified for transplant. I was too far gone. Once I started signs of improvement, I was re-listed. I spent 2 months in the hospital. When I finally got out, I went home & things were good. I got 'The Call' at 0230 on 6/16/05. It was not a dry run, it was the real deal. 8 years later, I've had more than my share of complications but I'm still alive to tell you about it! Best of luck to you, I hope you receive the Second Chance that I was given.

scarecrow

I have been under 30% for probably 10-12 years. I don't use any O2 and I work full time as an over-the-road truck driver. I am not saying that life is great but I do manage to get through each day.
If you are looking to get an idea of what life is like below 30% I can tell you that every point below 30% is like losing a piece of your life. The list of things that you can't do any more keeps getting longer and longer but life does go on. I am hoping to be saved by Stem Cell research but the wait has been getting longer every year.
If you are hoping to get a transplant I really can't help you but if you are still above 30% it seems to me that you could have a good shot at getting better.
I think some things that would help are a VEST, HTS, lots of water, work to increase your glutathion, take curcumin for inflamation, and get lots of exercise.