sinus problems - did anything help?

rubyroselee

Hi,

My sinuses have never been an issue until last fall. Ever since then I've been dealing with a lot of sinus pressure/headaches, dizziness, drainage, blurred vision, nausea, and fatigue. I have tried sinus rinses, which has not helped a lot. My ENT says next step is antibiotic washes. Anyone tried those before? Did they help?

If those don't work, he said sinus surgery is next. I'm nervous about surgery and wondering if anyone can share their experiences with it. Did it help at all? What did they do exactly during the surgery?

Just looking for some feedback and experiences with sinus issues and treatment since this is all new to me. (BLOW)

Thanks!

D

Dank

I've had probably around 20 sinus surgeries growing up. They always would knock me out and I'd wake up several hours later feeling sick and like a truck hit me. After about a week i could breathe perfectly out of my nose again. I could smell things in a much vibrant and different way. It was awesome. It didn't last long before my upper sinuses were clogged and i was due for another though. Really only complained when i got really bad headaches from the sinus pressure. I have never tried nasal antibiotics and my last surgery was easily a dozen years ago so I'm sure science and technology has changed. After a period of time most of my sinuses would start draining and so the ent said the polyps were much less and i could probably go many years before I'd need another surgery. I have not seen an ent lately but I'm probably well over due. I have tried various meds and even tried the nasal flushes but nothing really helps. I know not much help but wanted to share my experiences

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Leah!!

Someone else posted a similar (but different) question recently, some of the replies there may be helpful:

http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thr...Recommendations-needed-to-break-up-sinus-junk!

I use a Waterpik with a special sinus attachment for sinus rinses. I do find it works really well. I have used Tobramycin in it as well. I do think the sinus rinses with the Waterpik are beneficial, as since I started using it I've only had one sinus surgery (and it was over 5 years ago now), whereas prior to that I'd had 4 or 5.

As far as sinus surgery.... Let me tell you this, sinus surgery now is an absolute CAKEWALK compared to sinus surgeries of old. My first couple (late 80s/early 90s) were AWFUL. My last couple, easy peasy. :) My last couple were really just to remove build up from mostly my frontal sinuses above my eyes. After cleaning it all out, the surgeon packed the area with dissolvable gauze packs that were soaked in Tobramycin. I really feel like that helped a lot. After surgery you get a cute little maxi pad type thing taped under your nose for any bleeding. Last time I only had to wear that for the first 24 hours or so. They usually give hydrocodone for pain, but I can manage it fine with ibuprofen.

Like Dank said, I really felt a lot better after sinus surgery. I never did get my sense of smell back though. :( I think that's from the old roto-rooter surgeries.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Take care and good luck,

Autumn 34 w/CF

MGrossan

To Autumn 34: Pulsatile irrigation with Tobramycin was developed by Terrance Davidson head of ENT at San Diego esp for CF. The reason this is so effective is that the pulsing steady stream is ideal for removing the sinus contents and instilling the medication. Dr Davidson showed CT scans demonstrating the delivery into the sinuses. He also demonstrated the value of the correct rate of pulsation with the Hydro Pulse Nasal/Sinus Irrigator to remove thickened phlegm and restore nasal cilia. See www.grossaninstitute.com

Davidson TM. Management of sinusitis in cystic fibrosis. Laryngoscope 1995 Apr 105 : 354-8

jbrandyn

Hey, I have the same issue. My rhinologist did reconstructive surgery in my nose to make it more accessible so that he can clean them out during an office visit, it is great. Granted I am chillin' in the ED right now for sinus issues :(.
That said I think that surgery is good given the ease and quick recovery time.
I also do saline irritations twice a day I mix pulmozyme/DNAse with the morning solution and the night solution is saline with manuka honey which my ENT recommended. The honey has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties as well it is a mucolytic and promotes healthy mucous membranes. Also it smells good which is really nice if you have a sinus infection that smells bad.
Hope you get the nose stuff sorted out!
Warm wishes.

vbs420

jbrandyn:

How much pulmozyme do you put in a rinse?

I've been using pulmicort, but was wanting to move away from steroids.

rubyroselee

Thanks all! I do not have polyps yet, so that is at least one good thing. I just know a have a bunch of gunk and inflammation up there. Mornings seem to be the worst part of my day where I just feel downright crappy from them (sort of dizzy, headache/pressure, etc). Some days all I want is relief and then the next day I'll be fine with hardly any symptoms. Doesn't help that I live in the Midwest where molds and allergens are high. And I am very interested in the manuka honey treatment as well since I have recently read a few articles about it. Right now I am adding Johnson's baby shampoo to my bottle a couple times a week per ENT's instruction. I guess I'll just have to go with the flow on the treatment plan and keep trying to keep the symptoms at bay. Thanks!

MGrossan

To Dank:
The primary problem is the thickness of the mucus that blocks good drainage. Try vibration. Vibration - humming - can help break the thick mucus. The lower the frequency the better. If you place your fingers along side your nose you can feel that vibration. The more you do this the better. As was pointed out by Davidson, he recommended the frequency of the pulsation of the Hydro Pulse™ for that reason.
Davidson TM. Management of sinusitis in cystic fibrosis. Laryngoscope 1995 Apr 105 : 354-8 - See more at: http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/threads/126195#sthash.4VImKM2g.dpuf

Davidson TM. Management of sinusitis in cystic fibrosis. Laryngoscope 1995 Apr 105:304-8
Davidson TM. Management of sinusitis in cystic fibrosis. Laryngoscope 1995 Apr 105 : 354-8 - See more at: http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/threads/126195#sthash.4VImKM2g.dpuf