Sinus rinses?

rubyroselee

Hi,

Ever since moving back to my hometown/state, allergies and sinus issues just showed up in my life and took over! I have tried Claritin and Zyrtec since the spring months, but nothing seems to really get rid of my post-nasal drip and throat irritation. It almost feels like a sinus infection, but I went to my clinic appointment a couple weeks ago and my doctor said it's just allergies and sinus drainage. Sooo, he told me to start using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse over-the-counter stuff.

I have never done sinus rinses before and I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Firstly, the instructions say the water should exit out the opposite nostril, but that doesn't happen for me - just comes right back out the same one. So that makes me think I'm doing it wrong. Then, it is very irritating to squeeze that water up there. It feels like I just went under water at the lake and didn't plug my nose and got water all the way up into my head - so it's not comfortable at all. Then on top of it all, I was apparently snoring the loudest and most terrible sounds last night, and I think it had something to do with the sinus rinse.

So, firstly, does it sound like I'm doing it right?

Secondly, how often do CFers do these rinses? Once a day? Twice a day?

And quite honestly, I felt a little better for a short time afterwards (nose was clearer, didn't feel the drainage), but it didn't last long at all.

What is the point of the rinses anyways?

I'm nervous to do it again until I hear about others' experiences.

THANKS!

G

Gorf

I do sinus rinses with 15ml that you would normaly use in an aersol breathing teatment. One in each nostril twice a day. More if I know if I have been exposed to something I am allergic too like fresh cut grass. I always have a little drainage expecially when coughing. Good to get stuff out. The mucus is just as thick as it is for the lungs. You should be able to get it in one nostril and out the other. I do mine with my head over the sink almost upside down.

ashamalie

It almost sounds like you may have an obstruction. Have you ever had polyps? My son has that happen when his polyps return, along with the same snoring horrible sounds.

MichaelL

I do a nasal rinse every morning and find it very helpful. I use an ear syringe with salt water I mix up myself -- 1.5 cups distilled water, 0.5 t baking side, 1 t sea salt. (The water should be thrown out after a week.) It goes way up in my sinuses but keeps me pretty clean. My doctor that got me started in this told me not to do it at night. The water needs several hours to work it's way out.

I have used the NeilMed when I travel because it's much more portable. For me, it doesn't go far enough up in my sinuses, but it may be sufficient for you. I would recommend tilting your head over the sink with the nostril up that you're going to irrigate. It will take some practice. The whole sensation will take some getting used to. I've been doing it for almost 20 years, so I'm accustomed to it.

Before I do my nasal rinses, I like to do my breathing treatments. Call my crazy, but the HTS seems to really knock things loose in my head and it's easier to get rid of after the nasal rinse.

keefer11

Yes, I do rinses twice a day because my sinuses are so bad. I find that using warm water really does make a difference(of course boil or buy distilled water) and I mix 1 tsp iodized salt and 1/8tsp baking soda into 8oz water. I do one full sinus rinse bottle on each side and squirt almost the full bottle with one squeeze. Sometime I add Xylitol or iodine as well.

If you do do it at night do it at least 2 hours before you go to bed. I try to do it 3 hours before. The more time the better.i also do it first thing in the morning.

The reason that the water may not be traveling from one nostril to the other when you do it is because you may not be squeezing the bottle hard enough or you may have sinus polyps. Has your doctor done a CT of your sinuses? Or ask to be referred to a sinus doctor and the polyps might be removable during the appointment if they are hanging low enough into your nostrils. If you look into your nose can you see something clearing white hanging down? If so, it's probably a polyp.

V

VAmom

My DS uses the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. His ENT recommends that the bottle be replaced every month and if it's hand washed, it should be rinsed with rubbing alcohol after washing. Also, if you are making your own saline solution, it should be kept in the refrigerator.

erock77

I use it every morning. Make sure you're using the mix packets (or I make my own), otherwise straight water will burn, have it be lukewarm water too.
It may not be traveling through to the other side if one nostril is stuffed/blocked. If I have a blocked nostril, where I can't breathe through it, I shoot the water UP that side, it seems to help. If I go from the other side my head just get pressurized.
Regarding how it helps, I think it washes out particles that could be irritating and definitely potential blocking mucus. I get big chunks sometimes, but that was only after a sinus surgery.