Sleep Issues

icefisherman

I've been thinking about some of my sleep issues lately and was wondering if anyone else had any input or wanted to share thier experiences with sleep.
First off I noticed a few years ago that i felt better lung wise when i didn't sleep much and since the wife left i can sleep what ever hours without distractions. Also i work nights and my work schedule changes a lot, but has been stable lately,so the last few months has been the first time in a long time i have had a sleep schedule.
I get home around 8 a.m. and usually get some food in me play some guitar then its a cup of sleepytime tea and i go to bed. I am always up before noon and hardly ever stay asleep for more than 2 hours. Then i get up, play some more guitar (wife took the tv so my guitar is my entertainment now lol), and get my house work done. Then i lay down a few hours before i have to leave. i either leave at 6pm or 10pm. But i don't use the tea because i don't want to be tired when i get up. So all in all i average about 4 hours a day. some days just the first 2 hours other days i may get 6 hours all together in two seperate naps. This keeps my lungs feeling good, and when i do get to sleep for 5-6 hours strait my lungs are full of crap and it effects the rest of my day.
Ok, so there is that which works for me but leads to my other issue that i really haven't talked to anyone about. I have very, very, vivid dreams. I have had for probably 8-10 years but its everynight now. I learned early to be carefull what i watch on tv and other things because I have had a few very graphic dreams that really upset me for days. That isn't so much an issue now but It has gotten to the point where I get confused about what was a dream and what was real. Yep i'm nuts lol. Fortunatly my dreams are just everyday life and work now and really don't have many nightmares, but i'll dream about buying something or putting something somewhere and a few days later go look for it before i realize it was in a dream that i did it. its never anything big just like buying egss, and feeling like making an omlet thinking youbought eggs and then you open the fridge, no eggs. On the other hand i remember where i put things that i lose during the day in my dreams, and figure out guitar riffs in my sleep that i work all day trying to figure out. So yeah thats not normal, strait jacket here i come lol. So any input? I was wondering if oxygen levels change much in your sleep and if that could be part of it.
Ben

icefisherman

I've been thinking about some of my sleep issues lately and was wondering if anyone else had any input or wanted to share thier experiences with sleep.
First off I noticed a few years ago that i felt better lung wise when i didn't sleep much and since the wife left i can sleep what ever hours without distractions. Also i work nights and my work schedule changes a lot, but has been stable lately,so the last few months has been the first time in a long time i have had a sleep schedule.
I get home around 8 a.m. and usually get some food in me play some guitar then its a cup of sleepytime tea and i go to bed. I am always up before noon and hardly ever stay asleep for more than 2 hours. Then i get up, play some more guitar (wife took the tv so my guitar is my entertainment now lol), and get my house work done. Then i lay down a few hours before i have to leave. i either leave at 6pm or 10pm. But i don't use the tea because i don't want to be tired when i get up. So all in all i average about 4 hours a day. some days just the first 2 hours other days i may get 6 hours all together in two seperate naps. This keeps my lungs feeling good, and when i do get to sleep for 5-6 hours strait my lungs are full of crap and it effects the rest of my day.
Ok, so there is that which works for me but leads to my other issue that i really haven't talked to anyone about. I have very, very, vivid dreams. I have had for probably 8-10 years but its everynight now. I learned early to be carefull what i watch on tv and other things because I have had a few very graphic dreams that really upset me for days. That isn't so much an issue now but It has gotten to the point where I get confused about what was a dream and what was real. Yep i'm nuts lol. Fortunatly my dreams are just everyday life and work now and really don't have many nightmares, but i'll dream about buying something or putting something somewhere and a few days later go look for it before i realize it was in a dream that i did it. its never anything big just like buying egss, and feeling like making an omlet thinking youbought eggs and then you open the fridge, no eggs. On the other hand i remember where i put things that i lose during the day in my dreams, and figure out guitar riffs in my sleep that i work all day trying to figure out. So yeah thats not normal, strait jacket here i come lol. So any input? I was wondering if oxygen levels change much in your sleep and if that could be part of it.
Ben

imported_Momto2

heya Ben,

Sleep has been critical to my health since I was a teen. Through college and 3 graduate schools I've never pulled an all-nighter- dont think I could. I have always slept on a 10pm-6am schedule. Varying it does not agree with me. Having an infant was incredibly hard, my sleep got totally messed up and my lungs really paid for it, dropping 25% in just a few years. *ouch* Once both kids slept through the night, I had issues getting into deep sleep since I felt I had to be always "on alert" during the night if they needed me. So I started alternating nights with my hubby and taking ambien on my "off" nights. Well, that turned into a habit that has been hard to break, especially as my lung health declined and I coughed a huge amount during the night. When I wake up, I am AWAKE, totally and completely, ready to wrassle a horse or take a test. It can be very hard to go back to sleep. So, where I stand now is trying to wean off the ambien.....with not a lot of success. If I go a few days with poor sleep, I get sick immediately. I am able to nap easily thankfully.

Ben, I also have incredibly vivid dreams and nightmares. A lot of repetitive ones about hospitals, treatment rooms, being tied down, restrained, tortured by interns trying to put in IV's for the 3rd hour in a row, all bad ***** and all real. Its hard to let go even though it mostly happened 3 decades ago. My subconscious is hanging on like a rabid bulldog. And yes, I have had dreams that I have trouble telling from reality, but that is usually day to day stuff. OK, and I have one where I am Luke Skywalker fighting off the stormtroopers...every time the dream adds an extra minute or two, and I have them 1-2 times a year. I'll let you all know how it comes out in a few decades! *grin* Be well, i do think CF meds an oxygen level mess with our brains, but I also have a very vivid imagination, a blessing and a hinderence.

imported_Momto2

heya Ben,

Sleep has been critical to my health since I was a teen. Through college and 3 graduate schools I've never pulled an all-nighter- dont think I could. I have always slept on a 10pm-6am schedule. Varying it does not agree with me. Having an infant was incredibly hard, my sleep got totally messed up and my lungs really paid for it, dropping 25% in just a few years. *ouch* Once both kids slept through the night, I had issues getting into deep sleep since I felt I had to be always "on alert" during the night if they needed me. So I started alternating nights with my hubby and taking ambien on my "off" nights. Well, that turned into a habit that has been hard to break, especially as my lung health declined and I coughed a huge amount during the night. When I wake up, I am AWAKE, totally and completely, ready to wrassle a horse or take a test. It can be very hard to go back to sleep. So, where I stand now is trying to wean off the ambien.....with not a lot of success. If I go a few days with poor sleep, I get sick immediately. I am able to nap easily thankfully.

Ben, I also have incredibly vivid dreams and nightmares. A lot of repetitive ones about hospitals, treatment rooms, being tied down, restrained, tortured by interns trying to put in IV's for the 3rd hour in a row, all bad ***** and all real. Its hard to let go even though it mostly happened 3 decades ago. My subconscious is hanging on like a rabid bulldog. And yes, I have had dreams that I have trouble telling from reality, but that is usually day to day stuff. OK, and I have one where I am Luke Skywalker fighting off the stormtroopers...every time the dream adds an extra minute or two, and I have them 1-2 times a year. I'll let you all know how it comes out in a few decades! *grin* Be well, i do think CF meds an oxygen level mess with our brains, but I also have a very vivid imagination, a blessing and a hinderence.

bigstar

I think sleep is crucial too! I have to sleep 9 hours to feel perfectly fine! Anything less is not enough for me! I always needed a lot of sleep i dont think it is a CF matter. I have to admit though that i am having night mares as well. And very usually they are about hospitals, about IVs about being tied down, about being in pain and in frustration. Those are kind of traumatic experiences for me so i guess its normal that my subconscious relates them to nightmares in periods of great stress. Just my 2 cents.

bigstar

I think sleep is crucial too! I have to sleep 9 hours to feel perfectly fine! Anything less is not enough for me! I always needed a lot of sleep i dont think it is a CF matter. I have to admit though that i am having night mares as well. And very usually they are about hospitals, about IVs about being tied down, about being in pain and in frustration. Those are kind of traumatic experiences for me so i guess its normal that my subconscious relates them to nightmares in periods of great stress. Just my 2 cents.

musclemania70

Many drugs have side effects that include nightmares and sleep disruptions. Read the extensive labels that the pharmacist provides.

I noticed that I sleep much much better with oxygen at night. I don't know if you do already or if you have had a night time o2 test but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved my sleep duration and QUALITY of sleep. I use 2 liters only at night.

musclemania70

Many drugs have side effects that include nightmares and sleep disruptions. Read the extensive labels that the pharmacist provides.

I noticed that I sleep much much better with oxygen at night. I don't know if you do already or if you have had a night time o2 test but it SIGNIFICANTLY improved my sleep duration and QUALITY of sleep. I use 2 liters only at night.

ManFromDublin

i can never get any sleep unless i have a tablet of some sort!! i do be tinkin alot before i go asleep, me mind is like a bowl of spaghetti!!

ManFromDublin

i can never get any sleep unless i have a tablet of some sort!! i do be tinkin alot before i go asleep, me mind is like a bowl of spaghetti!!

G

gunelle

-how much do you sleep?- too muh, is the first thing that pops into my head. I've always needed my sleep. Normally I get about 8-9 hours a night, and more on weekends. But in the last two days, I've slept 10 hours a night. Haven't been feeling too good, and I need my sleep to recuperate.

I also have very vivid dreams. Sometimes it's as though I cannot rest becasue my dreams are so vivid. I also think that something happend that later turns out it was only in my dreams. I have had dreams about things that later came through, and then finding it difficult to know which was the real thing that happend and what was just the dream.

G

gunelle

-how much do you sleep?- too muh, is the first thing that pops into my head. I've always needed my sleep. Normally I get about 8-9 hours a night, and more on weekends. But in the last two days, I've slept 10 hours a night. Haven't been feeling too good, and I need my sleep to recuperate.

I also have very vivid dreams. Sometimes it's as though I cannot rest becasue my dreams are so vivid. I also think that something happend that later turns out it was only in my dreams. I have had dreams about things that later came through, and then finding it difficult to know which was the real thing that happend and what was just the dream.

icefisherman

thanks for sharing momto2 and gunnelle that makes me feel a little better. Gunnelle I feel the same way about feeling like i don't rest because i do so much in my dreams. The most anoying one I get is the alarm goes off, i take a shower get dressed get ready for work and then my alarm goes off and i'm still in bed.... sun of a.......LOL. As for the rest of you guys thanks for your input. I have been told before that i need to sleep more, but being a side sleeper if i sleep for six hours or more the side that is down is so full of crap its painfull, and i usually end up throwing up from coughing up so much stuff. But if i was better about doing my meds that probably wouldn't be an issue. I've been told about a pillow that keeps you more upright and on your back has anyone tried it? I can start out that way but always wake up on my side. I was thinking that might help.

icefisherman

thanks for sharing momto2 and gunnelle that makes me feel a little better. Gunnelle I feel the same way about feeling like i don't rest because i do so much in my dreams. The most anoying one I get is the alarm goes off, i take a shower get dressed get ready for work and then my alarm goes off and i'm still in bed.... sun of a.......LOL. As for the rest of you guys thanks for your input. I have been told before that i need to sleep more, but being a side sleeper if i sleep for six hours or more the side that is down is so full of crap its painfull, and i usually end up throwing up from coughing up so much stuff. But if i was better about doing my meds that probably wouldn't be an issue. I've been told about a pillow that keeps you more upright and on your back has anyone tried it? I can start out that way but always wake up on my side. I was thinking that might help.

KingJames

If given the opportunity to do so,I could sleep forever, and so you can basically call me Rip Van Winkle, lol. In high school I hated having to get up every single day at no later than 5 AM, and I usually went through the day with five hours of sleep max, so I would always take a nap when I got home IF I had the opportunity to do so (Sometimes tutoring, football, Boy Scouts, etc. prevented it). Ever since I got out of high school and started college, though, I've gone into extreme night owl mode and I usually don't fall asleep in my bed before 5 AM, although for the past few months I've started crashing on the chair/couch while watching TV in the middle of the night. The one thing I hate is when I'm falling asleep but then something suddenly awakens me, and I can't get back to sleep because my mind is constantly racing with thoughts and ideas. The longest I've gone without sleep before was for almost four days straight, and I've even driven 1,200 miles on no sleep in two days and then stayed awake in a hurricane afterwards. This past year I recall a few occasions where I didn't sleep in over 24 hours and then participated in intense physical activity such as the Memorial Day Murph, or mountain biking for 16 miles. I really cherish a good night's rest, but I can push myself through tiredness, although I sometimes end up paying for it by crashing or getting sick :p Oh, and musclemania70, you're absolutely correct. I went through a rock bottom period in my life where I couldn't sleep at all without popping Tylenol PM every night. I actually ended up having multiple instances of sleep paralysis while on those pills, and I realized that it was only an answer for short-term sleep issues (Having sleep paralysis every once in a great while is perfectly normal in anyone, but the pills were making it happen WAY too often). Nowadays I sleep fine without them, once again. icefisherman, I don't know about that pillow, but I do know that I personally can't sleep on my back. I don't know why, but I can only fall asleep on my side or stomach (I feel vulnerable on my back). One thing I'll note is that while sleeping upright somewhat can be good for head congestion, be careful about your neck and back. Whatever works for you, though, go for it! Also, regarding vivid dreams in particular, I've had plenty. I also had a recurring dream one time that caused me to have my family cancel flight plans, it was that vivid and it corresponded to a specific trip (I have flown all my life, with a love for aviation/aerospace, so the whole thing didn't make sense and it subsequently caught my full attention). One thing I've also noticed is how you can get very vivid nightmares when suffering from a fever. It is insane, though, I've had dreams where I can smell, touch, and feel everything, and it's pretty cool. I've also had some dreams about a bad time in my life that really have me glad to wake-up and find out they aren't real anymore! Generally, deep, vivid dreams occur after you've been asleep for a while, and it's more towards the morning hours.

KingJames

If given the opportunity to do so,I could sleep forever, and so you can basically call me Rip Van Winkle, lol. In high school I hated having to get up every single day at no later than 5 AM, and I usually went through the day with five hours of sleep max, so I would always take a nap when I got home IF I had the opportunity to do so (Sometimes tutoring, football, Boy Scouts, etc. prevented it). Ever since I got out of high school and started college, though, I've gone into extreme night owl mode and I usually don't fall asleep in my bed before 5 AM, although for the past few months I've started crashing on the chair/couch while watching TV in the middle of the night. The one thing I hate is when I'm falling asleep but then something suddenly awakens me, and I can't get back to sleep because my mind is constantly racing with thoughts and ideas. The longest I've gone without sleep before was for almost four days straight, and I've even driven 1,200 miles on no sleep in two days and then stayed awake in a hurricane afterwards. This past year I recall a few occasions where I didn't sleep in over 24 hours and then participated in intense physical activity such as the Memorial Day Murph, or mountain biking for 16 miles. I really cherish a good night's rest, but I can push myself through tiredness, although I sometimes end up paying for it by crashing or getting sick :p Oh, and musclemania70, you're absolutely correct. I went through a rock bottom period in my life where I couldn't sleep at all without popping Tylenol PM every night. I actually ended up having multiple instances of sleep paralysis while on those pills, and I realized that it was only an answer for short-term sleep issues (Having sleep paralysis every once in a great while is perfectly normal in anyone, but the pills were making it happen WAY too often). Nowadays I sleep fine without them, once again. icefisherman, I don't know about that pillow, but I do know that I personally can't sleep on my back. I don't know why, but I can only fall asleep on my side or stomach (I feel vulnerable on my back). One thing I'll note is that while sleeping upright somewhat can be good for head congestion, be careful about your neck and back. Whatever works for you, though, go for it! Also, regarding vivid dreams in particular, I've had plenty. I also had a recurring dream one time that caused me to have my family cancel flight plans, it was that vivid and it corresponded to a specific trip (I have flown all my life, with a love for aviation/aerospace, so the whole thing didn't make sense and it subsequently caught my full attention). One thing I've also noticed is how you can get very vivid nightmares when suffering from a fever. It is insane, though, I've had dreams where I can smell, touch, and feel everything, and it's pretty cool. I've also had some dreams about a bad time in my life that really have me glad to wake-up and find out they aren't real anymore! Generally, deep, vivid dreams occur after you've been asleep for a while, and it's more towards the morning hours.

Hardak

I accutaly have more asma like issues if I don't get enough sleep on a regular basis, also genraly feel run over by something large and heavy if I don't sleep well. was a point like 5-6 years ago this wasn't the case so much but I was also a much younger man then, so I chalk some of this up to just crossing the 30 bench mark.

Hardak

I accutaly have more asma like issues if I don't get enough sleep on a regular basis, also genraly feel run over by something large and heavy if I don't sleep well. was a point like 5-6 years ago this wasn't the case so much but I was also a much younger man then, so I chalk some of this up to just crossing the 30 bench mark.