Smart pill bottle next generation

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
This is a great idea! My assumption is that the narcotic or such is prescribed and it comes in that bottle with the instructions encoded therein. My experience is more geriatric or involving chronic pain and mental illness. The geriatric patients are often medically naïve and with a touch of memory loss they take powerful drugs like Flexoril and oxycodone and then take them again, because they forget under such influence.

Some people possess strong addictive behavior, something I believe to be genetic. A plastic bottle won't stop a determined patient but it does force a patient into a much harder decision. Opening a standard prescription bottle is nothing, sawing off the bottle neck requires forethought. The time it takes hopefully gives the patient an opportunity to reconsider.

In topic posts in the past, keeping others out of their medicines was an issue. This smart bottle should enable better control over drugs disappearing. Coping mechanisms in compliance with habit forming drugs are fine but a drug dispenser ends the battle with temptation, which is the root issue in addiction. Although narcotics are getting the spotlight due to epidemic numbers of prescription narcotic related deaths, a closer look at the concomitant drugs in these overdose deaths. About two years ago, I was evaluated by a Psychiatrist. A recent ER visit suggested an evaluation so I went for one.

Surprisingly one of the first evaluations was my medication list. There were 3 or 4 medicines I couldn't remember who any why they were prescribed. Clonazapam or Klonipin is a neuroleptic used for reducing muscle spasms and about eight other uses but it's not a good drug for somebody over sixty. This was cut out and the others were reduced or replaced. In our discussions, he said I act as if I am not addicted to my very powerful fentanyl, taken sublingually. This would be rare if in fact I am not. Most people who deal with serious chronic pain are iatragenic narcotic addicts or habituated patients, whose addiction is neither their choice or of their own doing.

Several time-lock pill caddies are already on the market. I got one for my aging father in law. He caught his finger in it and had to call for help. NOT! But I can easily imagine him doing exactly that had we not come up with a simpler alarm caddy with no safety features. A neighbor is going to a Senior facility possibly because he frequently forgets and doubles up on medications. At his age and physical health, he potentially has another five years of living independently. Whether it's temptation or forgetfulness, I like it, maybe.

LL

peter

Think of all the authorized "monitors" the pill bottle info can go to. A computer profile monitor, cross check with blood, BM, saliva, or breath home analyzer, other healthcare professionals, family members (support group - stakeholders for a specific individual), social worker(s), even pharmacist pool and pharmaceutical data monitors. Not like big brother looking for bad behavior but ensuring technology oversight by trained humans.