Something a relative said to me at a wedding -- cried myself to sleep

jello5675

Take it all in stride, I'm sure he meant no harm, and your reaction is completely normal. I don't have CF my daughter does and that comment would have made me cry. Maybe next be more forthcoming with information. Reply with a hell yeah, I have a great CF team, I'm on top of all my meds, and I'm kicking CF's ass. I rock, because sweetheart you do rock. :)

W

welshwitch

Thank you everyone, so much, for your kind comments. I really appreciate it! I am usually such a strong CF warrior, it's just every so often even I get a little down :( I will try to take these types of unsolicited comments more in stride, but also really think about being a bit more open with my family about what I'm going through.

I'm sure my second cousin's dad (my mom's first cousin) meant no harm by what he said, only kindness. I only see this guy once every four or five years, so it's a bit jarring when you don't see someone for a long time.

Every day is a fight, and for me the emotional is much harder than the physical. I will keep fighting until my time is up!

Beccamom

I'm 37 and get asked repeatedly if I was really diagnosed with CF. I'm thinking no I just like to do a breathing treatment and vest while sharing a hotel room with 3 moms I'm friends with on moms weekend away. I think this sarcastically.

sueharris269

I so totally get this! My son has CF and spends huge amounts of energy trying to hide it. As he was growing up, we as a family didn't discuss his CF very often, but family and extended family all knew about it. Me, as mom, did not handle it well; it sits in my throat like a hairball. It can come up any time and turn me into a ball of tears. He just got out of the hospital from his 1st time ever "tune-up". He got psychiatric help at hospital ~ a book was recommended for all of us to read. It has helped me and my son.
It is worth a read ~ SOS Help For Emotions Managing Anxiety, Anger & Depression by Lynn Clark, Ph.D
what I thought was mainly for him (16yrs old), helped me a lot too (52 yrs old)! Give it a try, it certainly can't hurt and it gives every day things an honest perspective that we, who are so closely wrapped up in it, cannot always see. Thinking of you!

W

welshwitch

Thank you Sue! I will definitely check that book out. You're right, it can only help! I am definitely open to new perspectives!

Y

yanne

I completely understand how you feel; I Always get angry (on the inside) when I find out that people are actually constantly thinking about my health problems. I don't consider myself 'sick' although I know I am. I consider myself as a normal person, but then suddenly people remind me of my cystic fibrosis, when they ask about my health, or stare at me when I cough...

longtimer

I think one thing you wanted was a quick reply to sort of dismiss their curiosity and lack of knowledge and skill. I would say. "I am glad I am so healthy as well, especially since they now have a cure for some of the types."