Something any parent of a teen/early adult can relate to (or am I alone!)

B

BikerEd

I am extremely proud of my daughters and their achievements. My youngest started her sophomore year at KU. My oldest graduated from a medical program on the deans list and is pursuing a medical career while currently pursuing a nursing degree and looking for a new job, as well as buying her first new (well new to her car) with her own money. They both work fulltime while doing so. Some achievements I as parent would love to see:

1. Empting the dishwasher
2. Rinsing dishes in the sink and actually moving them to the dishwasher
3. Washing more than ONE pair of jeans at a time, and not washing ONE pair of jeans on “super load” and then Drying for 6 years to make tighter
4. 15,000 pairs of shoe’s, not in the living room.
5. If sleeping for 12 hours, try turning off the TV
6. As much as I do not like working in extreme heat, it’s ok to close the front door when the A/C is on, it won’t cool the job site, but thanks for the effort.
7. The “E” in the car/truck does not mean Ed’s turn to drive.
8. Empty coke cans/drink glasses on the coffee table are not a decoration.
9. Empty coke cans/drink glasses weigh less going back to the kitchen then they did leaving
10. My shirts you think are “cool” can be purchased at a store, not just my dresser or closet
11. Really throwing away an empty box of Snackies, soda, Etc will not confuse me when I open a cabinet
12. It’s called a litter box, they’re your cats, oh wait if you ignore it enough Mommy takes care of it….. Did you just ask about a dog?
13. I’m sorry, your keys, earrings, nail polish, tweezers, eyeliner, etc, etc, etc I don’t know where they are (yes I have been know to hide them in the place they belong)
14. Why when there are only three women in the house are there 8 razors in the shower (I know not an achievement but still) oh and only one is mommy’s
15. (I live in a house full of females, even the cats are girls) Scientific studies have shown that changing the Toilet Paper Roll WILL NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE!

Well, thanks for letting me vent while I laughed at the same time. But, this list could go on all morning and afternoon and most of the night but I got to be on site by 6pm.

Best of luck

Ed

stubsgem

That was GREAT!! It really made me laugh and I can so relate to everything. Well except for the litter box thing. Thanks for posting it!!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Ed,
You sound exactly like my husband (on all but the litter box), all the while
1) His dirty cloth don't make it to the laundry shoot.
2) Dishes remain on the table (too)
3) Lunch stuff never makes it back to the cubboards
4) My keys are always missing from the hook because he could never remember where he put his.
5) The toilet is up (I close the lid so it's not like I'm asking for more than the extra .5 of a pound of closing both.
6-15 Other similar things which are just as endearing. But very proud of him too! (And I'm sure you don't anything, right? All your motorcycle tools nicely put away in their proper spot? ;-)

65rosessamurai

Ed, I don't have teenagers, but a wife and MIL. Of which, some (or most) of the list pertain to them..

1. Empting the dishwasher - wife- we have one, i hooked it up, but it doesn't run (unless I press "start")
2. Rinsing dishes in the sink and actually moving them to the dishwasher - wife - they don't migrate at all
3. Washing more than ONE pair of jeans at a time, and not washing ONE pair of jeans on “super load” and then Drying for 6 years to make tighter - wife - complains about when my salt-covered clothes make it to the washing machine (no dryer, thank God, they air-dry outside in Japan)
4. 15,000 pairs of shoe’s, not in the living room. (we have a box for all those at the front enterance, and cause its japan, no shoes in the house --hint?)
5. If sleeping for 12 hours, try turning off the TV - MIL -unless I tell her to turn it off, it would be 24/7
6. As much as I do not like working in extreme heat, it’s ok to close the front door when the A/C is on, it won’t cool the job site, but thanks for the effort. N/A Houses in Japan are designed with an AC per room -- maybe cause it helps the economy?
7. The “E” in the car/truck does not mean Ed’s turn to drive. N/A My name starts with "F" and only I drive the car (wife can't drive a 5-speed --hint?)
8. Empty coke cans/drink glasses on the coffee table are not a decoration. wife - can't see the coffee table, anymore
9. Empty coke cans/drink glasses weigh less going back to the kitchen then they did leaving. N/A - I carry mine back because they never make it to the dishwasher and I clean them myself
10. My shirts you think are “cool” can be purchased at a store, not just my dresser or closet. -- I own no "cool" shirts - avoids problem ten, but I don't look as cool ;)
11. Really throwing away an empty box of Snackies, soda, Etc will not confuse me when I open a cabinet. I get attacked by stuff falling out of the cabinet. (and fridge)
12. It’s called a litter box, they’re your cats, oh wait if you ignore it enough Mommy takes care of it….. Did you just ask about a dog? N/A we have chickens, cockatiels, bobwhites, basically a bunch of birds, mostly all female, too.
13. I’m sorry, your keys, earrings, nail polish, tweezers, eyeliner, etc, etc, etc I don’t know where they are (yes I have been know to hide them in the place they belong) Knowing where they are would worry me ;)
14. Why when there are only three women in the house are there 8 razors in the shower (I know not an achievement but still) oh and only one is mommy’s. N/A No razors in the shower, and I mostly use an electric razor...beyond arm's length
15. (I live in a house full of females, even the cats are girls) Scientific studies have shown that changing the Toilet Paper Roll WILL NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE! House full of females - See answer #12. Toilet issues, N/A

Not sure if it was more fun to read your post or reply to it..but thanks!

seahn

My mother would have a very similar list for me... I fall more to the young adult side, but I would say at least 5 of those achievements describe exactly what My mother gets onto me about on almost a constant basis. And I know I need to work towards getting better about them, aswell as other things...

anyway, thanks for the share, definitely made me laugh :p

Justinsmama

What a blessing that these are the "issues" with your children. I hope when my now 8 and 10 year old are that age, this is the worst I have to complain about. You can tell they are girls though, my absent minded professor (10 year old) boy's list would include 1. we put clean clothes on after a shower, 2. yes, we need to have 2 shoes on and they do need to match, bringing home a lunch box, coat and backpack each day, etc. Also very blessed with two WONDERFUL children!!!

Helas

Congrats dear. It is really appreciated your daughter's achievement. I am really glad to know that. May she have many more and always be success in his life and every step of life she has joy and happiness. God bless her always.

JustDucky

I know that this is an old thread, but I had to chuckle when I read it....I think just about every one applies to my kids (now 19 and 21), right down to the razors in the shower lol. Putting back an empty milk carton always gets me, as does putting back empty cereal boxes. Not emptying the dishwasher (I actually have let them sit for a few days to see if they would) or even putting their dirty dishes IN the dishwasher when it is empty. They are also guilty of stringing several pairs of shoes throughout the house. I will give them this though, they are very hard working outside of the home, working 40-50 hour weeks, during the summer more to save up for the fall and winter.
Thanks for the laugh :)

Jenn 41 wCF