Sore muscles and soft tissue

Simba15

In the last year or so my muscles (whole body) and soft tissue (facia) are VERY stiff and tight. I stretch daily and the next day it is like I never strecthed at all. Anyone else have this?

I am wondering if it is CF related.

Thank you

Twistofchaos

Likely CF related. Our bodies tend to be achy because of things like inflammation, coughing and fatigue from that, possible nutrition problems, mental issues (stress etc.) etc.

Stretching is great but depending on how intensely your stretching sessions are the tissue that you stretched could need time to recover and signals that it's achy the next day. Then you could do lighter days in between or simply acknowledge that it's from the stretching and keep doing that since that's not likely a bad thing then.

As usual I'd also like to recommend lifting weights..since that helps with everything and certainly gets rid of tightness and pains from coughing and all of that.

ethan508

Are you sore all day? Do you stretch in the morning or night? What stretching program are you doing? Is it the same routine? Do you push your stretching to new lengths everyday? Some of it might be CF, some might be Age, and some of it might be overdoing (or incorrectly) doing your stretching sessions.

Simba15

Are you sore all day? Do you stretch in the morning or night? What stretching program are you doing? Is it the same routine? Do you push your stretching to new lengths everyday? Some of it might be CF, some might be Age, and some of it might be overdoing (or incorrectly) doing your stretching sessions.

I stretch 2x per day. Have been instructed by a ND, massage therapist, yoga instructor and PT. I think I'm doing it right. It isn't from coughing. I cough more than the average person but nothing like most CFers. I am sore all the time - painful actually. I don't have arthritis

Simba15

Its not from coughing. stress maybe, nutrition maybe. got alot worse in the last year and my exercise routine has not changed drastically

ethan508

When you stretch do you ever monitor your S02 or heart rate? If you heart rate is getting high (145+ bpm) or your S02 is getting low (below 85%) during your stretching routines (or any normal daily routines) then you might be putting your muscles in an anaerobic state. Anaerobic exercise leads to lactic acid build up in your muscles which causes soreness until your body can flush the lactic acid out. You might need a few more rest days between sessions or try to find a way to get to a lower intensity (rest breaks between stretch, poses held for shorter durations).

However it sounds like you've been doing stretches for a long time, so this theory would only make sense if you've had a change in workout intensity or a decrease in health. But if you have a heart rate monitor or a pulse oxi-meter then it would be an easy thing to check.