spacer brand

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Yes AboveAll I had noticed the odd file name! But what gives me pause is the failure of the CF Clinic or RTs to mention this, and the failure to include these instructions in the materials for patients. So as I said.....check with your RT or Clinic to see if there's something about all this we don't yet know! !!!!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Okay, I think I know what's going on. The instructions I got with the Vortex are exactly as those available at Pari.com. That is the US site. The above links you have are pari.de something, which is the German site. In U.S. they likely didn't boil and submitted to FDA with the handwashing/dishwasher cleaning instructions (per there testing), and thus can market it as 50%+ better than the others. But either they don't have that parameter for the approval there, or couldn't market it with that detail anyway, so they provide other cleaning info??? I'm calling Monday to see if I can get to the bottom of it! (And talking to RT on Tuesday.)

Gammaw

Super Moderator
It the site for Germany! I did not navigate there. I went to www.pari.com. Interesting. So at least our German or perhaps European members can sterilize! Let us know what Pari says......

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Will do! But I bet you anything it is merely a matter of FDA approval and how they can "promote it," which would explain why RTs wouldn't know either. It might also explain the "sued" in the caption! ;-) And explain why the Pari rep said to me "well, it doesn't matter they won't recommend boiling" and also "it wasn't test with boiling so we can't say how it would work." I'm basically going to ask if the German and US product are made the same (I can't imagine they aren't) and then from there see if they'll explain why German has sterilization instructions and U.S. doesn't. I'll update when I find out.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
They have so many sites, but I can't read Russian or Japanese, etc. to see what those sites say. I suspect your right - it's an FDA thing. But frankly, unless they are made with different materials, I suspect it can be disinfected just like our posters have said!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Update: I called Pari and the gal who answered didn't know but is following up (and I explained that someone was suppose to last week and never got back to me and that we have RT tomorrow so hoping for an answer today). She said it could be either it is a different material or the FDA. I can't imagine they make it of a different material just for U.S. Gammaw and I confirmed that the Vortex instructions in Germany, UK and Japan all provide for boiling to sterilize the Vortex. The Russian site's links don't work properly (no, I don't speak Russian, but my nephew does and he looked at it for me).
I'll update when I hear something from Pari.

T

The Dot

I was fortunate, I guess, as the PARI rep left the VORTEX samples with me and I am able to give those out. However, remember that your clinic relies on the generosity of these companies in providing samples, so they may not always have the top-of-the-line equipment to "give" you. If, however, they are billing you for it, and you do not like what they have, just tell them you will go online and get a Vortex as mentioned above.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Great point Dot! Also, doesn't hurt to ask if they have any of the Vortex samples. We just get shipped what the med equip has stocked, but the local Walgreens likely has to get insurance coverage. We just got one from insurance and I boiled it and "broke" it so it was out of pocket one way or the other.
I was fortunate, I guess, as the PARI rep left the VORTEX samples with me and I am able to give those out. However, remember that your clinic relies on the generosity of these companies in providing samples, so they may not always have the top-of-the-line equipment to "give" you. If, however, they are billing you for it, and you do not like what they have, just tell them you will go online and get a Vortex as mentioned above.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Pari just called and Yes, you can boil the Vortex. The contact was just passing on the info she got so she didn't have other details re why it's not put in materials, etc.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
And can wash in the dishwasher! As I wash nebs and now the spacer in a separate load and then boil to sterilize. My hands are forever grateful! And I told the lady they'll be getting lots of CF business. It works like a charm! Sending a note to our RT later today to let them know!!
Thank you so much for finding that info on the international stuff.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Awesome information! I have been meaning to get new spacers and this post has made me do it. Can't wait to be able to use the sanitize setting on the dishwasher to clean these. I will admit to hardly ever cleaning these things...bad mommy!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Sanitize generally means it kills some - only some - of all bugs. If your dishwasher reaches 158 degrees for ..., I think it's 20 minutes, .... then it's capable of disinfecting. DO check those times. Otherwise it's a great first wash with soap and water which is needed before sterilizing.... like in boiling water or an appropriate steam sterilizer, etc.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hard water I suspect. Add some distilled white vinegar to the wate before boiling. I add around 2 or 3 tablespoon to around 3 quarts water.....quality brand like Heinz. We get that all the time even with the nebulizers.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Unfortunately it's not. The coating is off in strips and a t is a granular residual in the pan not the typical hard water stuff....augh!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Oh Ugh!!! I imagine you have Pari on the phone......we're you able to boil it without it sitting on the bottom of the pot? (In other words did it float or.....?)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
not yet! had clinic yesterday and heading out of town to see family. but that might be it. Late last night I did it and I bet that was it!! AUGH. AUGH Augh.

jthomp

Please let me know what PARI says. I have been following and really appreciate all you and Gammaw have discovered. It drives me crazy that I can't sterilize the spacers!