spacer brand

Gammaw

Super Moderator
AboveAll, don't stick your already sore hands in detergent. Don't make this complicated for yourself. Just fill a bowl or plastic container with soap and warm or hot water and let the Vortex sit in there 15 min per instructions. Rinse. Place in boiling water 5 to 10 minutes. Air dry. Voila!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks gamma with...actually taking the valve off is easier on my hands because I toss it all I n dishwasher but chamber and t s twice as fast to rinse the chamber without trying to get the valve area properly rinsed...it just rinses through the chamber and the quarter sized opening. Having done it both ways, it s much much easier without the valve to wash and rinse. But I did incorporate your shake technique which helps to!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Yay! A boiled spacer. Amen.

Remember though, washing with soap and water does in fact kill germs of course. But in my travels I've gathered that this PRE CLEANING stage is essential because it eliminates any debris......such as sputum, peanutbutter, dirt, whatever ..... under which bacteria can hide. Boiling an object with peanut butter stuck on it (just for example!) will probably NOT kill the germs hiding under the peanut butter. So precleaning is essential to eliminate all foreign material, but the boiling is what we count on to kill the bacteria etc.

jthomp

Aboveallislove . . . Did you ever hear back from PARI as to whether the German and USA materials are the same?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I didn't. I will follow up but want to first try Gammaw's boiling technique. It took the lady a bit to hear about the safe to boil last time. And I figure this question might be too (as she did call me back and was extremely helpful). I will definitely report back.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Updated Report: Successful boil! So I followed Gammaw's awesome instructions re the boiling. I prefer though to take the valve and plastic off and I put that through the dishwasher with the end plastic. I run a load separate for nebulizers and put it in a basket for that. The chamber I soaked for 15 with dishsoap and a tad of vinegar. I then rinsed and put in a pan of boiling water with a glass correll top on the bottom so that the chamber sunk and was submerged but not touching the bottom of the pan. boiled 5 minute and it looks great inside and there was no residual in the pan. I think it was likely a chemical reaction from the dishwashing detergent I used. This actually works very easily for me as I'm going to have 4 and just do 2 every two weeks and have 2 clean ones then. So much easier than my prior non-valved on that I boiled and much more effective I think too. Now to see how DS's FEVs/asthama components are in a month with his Qvar dose upped and with proper delivery. I will call Pari back re whether it is made of the same material as the ones sold in Europe and then maybe we can try to summarize our research and suggestions on spacers for a direct link from the home page...in our spare time of course! ;-) Gammaw: Thank you so much for finding the foreign instructions and the great suggestion re the glass in the bottom of the pan and all the brainstorming...the spacer has been the bain of my existence!!

jthomp

What about the PARI fish masks for the nebulizer? The instructions state they should only be washed with warm, soapy water, but that really bothers me too with CF. Why do the instructions state they can't be sterilized? Will a baby bottle sterilizer or alcohol start to break down the material?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Generally the plastics cant be boiled because they will melt or distort. I can't really tell you what chemical changes take place, but I believe steaming is generally gentler on the plastics that can't be boiled. I used to use a Medela steam bag after washing them with soap and rinsing. I didn't have any trouble. I haven't tried them in a baby bottle sterilizer. Let us know if you try.

Ank

fish mask will loose it shape if u heat it..More ever..mask might not need strong sterlisation.Its best to wash in soapy water..Personally u can try boiling and old mask.I have boiled general mask avaliable in market..after boiling it gets discoloured. but works perfectly well..I have not tried boiling pari mask.check pari website to see if you can use hydrogen per oxide or bleach.I have not heard about alcoholare you using methyl alcohol(de naturated surgical sprit).Its v posinous

jthomp

It seems like the popular thing on a Facebook CF group I am a part of is to put the masks in the top part of the baby bottle sterilizer used to sterilize the nebulizers. I don't have a baby bottle nebulizer, but was considering trying the WABI or Baby Brezza (popular in the CF group), as they are the only 2 that sterilize and dry, especially if they were good for the masks.

Regarding the CF Foundation guidelines for nebulizer sterilization, these are the approved cold sterilization methods:

"Cold Methods: 3% hydrogen peroxide 30 min.
70-90% Isopropyl Alcohol 3 min.
Rinse with sterile water (previously boiled 5 minutes)"

I was curious if the cold methods would work for the masks, or if the alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (or even steaming) would break down the material. And even if the material did break down, is that necessarily bad? I don't mind replacing every 3 months or so, but if the broken down material traps more bacteria or bad stuff in the broken down material, I wouldn't like that.

The things you think about as a CF mom!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
That's great to know rebjane. Thanks so much! I've taught min to use the spacer without a mask, but I wish I had known before!

jthomp

Thanks Rebjane. I recently saw those, but was worried they would be too small. My son is 4 though, so if it still works for your daughter at 12 that is good news!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Our DS is 6 and uses size 3 which is plenty big and compares with the adult size for the Philips mask that goes with their spacer. He takes after me and has a big head/face.
Thanks Rebjane. I recently saw those, but was worried they would be too small. My son is 4 though, so if it still works for your daughter at 12 that is good news!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I have boiled the Vortex now repeatedly with no problems. I do put it in the strainer basket of my "spaghetti pot" so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot which sits directly on top of the burner. My spaghetti pot with strainer insert is used only for disinfecting nebbies, for those who are wondering!