Ssdi

LeChampion

Newbie here...

I am in the process of applying for SSDI - I am lucky enough to have the help of Beth Sufian's firm. I meet 2 out of the 3 criteria aside from having CFRD and having my 3rd sinus surgery this past April.

For those of you all on SSDI, what / how did you generate income while waiting on the approval process and your first SSDI check? The mortgage and car payment still have to get paid some how! And did you receive "backpay" and how does that work?

Thanks.

Blue

I was just approved in June 2012 and received back pay. I also worked with Beth's firm, they're amazing! Once my paperwork was submitted, I was approved within 3 weeks!! In order to receive back pay you must have a 'failed work attempt'. This means you have to prove you were receiving a paycheck however you were actually off sick more often that at work. In my case, over a year period, I was off work 18 out of the 52 weeks in one year. Call Beth's office, and ask them any questions you have. They are great at explaining things and keeping you updated on the process. Beth's firm didn't think I qualified for back pay, but the SS officer that did my intake interview felt I qualified, so he back dated my application.

I was told by there firm (which I assume you were also) that it is in your best interest NOT to work during the application process. That being said, our church paid our mortgage during the interim. I'm sure there are a number of non-profit assistance programs or church's that may help you out in your area.

LeChampion

Thanks so much. I haven't worked since June 11, have been on paid leave....hopefully can get some backpay....will contact the firm and see what they say.

Did you do your SSA interview on the phone or in person and what types of things did they ask?

LeChampion

Oops - meant to ask also, how did you prove the failed work attempt? I have my Earnings and Leave statements, wonder if that would help.

R

RytheStunner

I don't think the "failed work attempt" is actually true, unless it varies state-by-state. I've worked pretty consistently since I was 16, and I've never had a job where I missed substantial time for being sick (as a matter of fact, I rarely missed a single day of work at all). I received two chunks of backpay: one when I first applied in 2005 when I was 20, and once again when I was laid off in 2009 and had my benefits reinstated. It's possible that it may be a guideline, but if it is, they sure don't check into it very thoroughly.

julie

Failed work attempts can absolutely help your case, so if you can document with paystubs and/or a letter from your employer that's great. Backpay refers to paying you back to the date of your application, less the 5 month NO PAYMENT period after the initial date of application. It is VERY VERY rare that SSA will allow you to RETROACTIVE your benefit start date, which is what Blue is referring to. They do it, but I wouldn't count on it. That being said, if you stopped working in June and met the qualifications at that time, I would definitely put that down as your disability start date.

jbrandyn

Yeah, I got back pay eventually, I was told that if I worked it might disqualify me from getting SSI. It sucks, but you might be able to get unemployment and SNAP benefits.

julie

SSDI and SSI are two very different programs because of their income criteria. If you are on SSI/SSDI and collecting unemployment you are defrauding your states system of able, available and actively searching for work. SNAP (food stamps) are something you can get provided you meet the income qualifications.