SSI after transplant

mackenziesmom

Has anyone been successful retaining SSI/Medicaid benefits post transplant? We're four years out and although the surgery was successful, my son's is experiencing other complications--diabetes, multiple skin cancers, gall bladder removal, low weight and pulmonary function levels that are stable but not great. There is no way we could afford the 20 prescriptions he is on and full time work is out of the question. He is undergoing a disability review.
Thoughts?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine is 12 years post transplant and I believe he received medical assistance. He still works full time. Our state is very conservative about being eligible for SSI/Medicaid -- very low income, etc.; however, I believe there are certain conditions where more flexibility is given.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I'm not well educated in this area but Ratatosk is correct. This will vary by state. I'm post transplant 8 years and I've been receiving SSI and Medicaid. Although, I'm receiving the Medicaid as a dependent of my mom cause she gets it. I have never tried applying for it on my own. I have been under review once or twice since my transplant and still qualify. This whole issue is quite confusing, in my case anyway. It's always difficult to get ahold of someone directly at Mediciad to ask questions. You get several recordings unless you have a caseworker's direct number. Best to ask your son's social worker questions that you have and hopefully he/she can answer them on some level. Best of luck,

Hardak

I meet a guy earlier this month who had a transplant and held on to his SSI. He did warn me that 1 year after Tx to expect to have SSI declare you no longer disabled and expect to have to go to court to retain it.

MikeInMT

I am 2 years and almost 3 months out, and I still have full medicaid/medicare as I had before surgery. But it does vary state to state. I am in Montana if this helps. Montana Medicaid Travel still comps for trips to Seattle for check-ups.