Staph A 4+

kitomd21

Hi all...DD routinely cultures Staph A., but it was at a much higher concentration this last culture. Her doctor never called with the results (we're now 3 weeks out) but we did ask her nurse about the culture. She informed us that DD cultured Staph A. at 4+ and wondered if she's having increased symptoms of cough or sinus issues. The symptoms are mildly increased in the form of worse breath odor and slightly increased morning cough. She is currently getting over a head cold (mostly clear discharge, stuffy nose...started with her brother BUT it all started last week). What would you do for you LO? Antibiotics without question? Follow-up culture? Also, her doctor thinks she has post nasal drip and rx'd Veramyst. Anyone familiar with Veramyst?
TIA

E

edan

Hi. My daughter is 5 and appears to have problems with pnd after a cold for a little while. She also cultures staph a. She started nose rinses at age 4 (early 4s) and this does wonders. It has saved her from so many antibiotics. We are followed at 2 clinics. One clinic treats the staph at each quarterly visit if it shows up. The other only treats if there are symptoms. Both say the 1+...+ doesn't matter. It is just how good of a sample they got. It is hard to believe this, but that's what they say.

Cheers.

M

Mommafirst

Our CF doctor told me that the numbers are pretty inaccurate when you are looking at a throat swab culture. My daughter waffles from "rare" to "many" and then gets a weird "no staph" culture too.

I think I'd want to see a second culture and if its high again, I'd ask to consider oral abx. You may not be able to erradicate the staph, but you can knock the numbers down a bit.