Staph infection?

C

cfgf28

<P>Is a staph infection something you can kick?</P>
<P></P>
<P>Bf was told he had a staph infection, but this was from a sputum culture that he gave at the beginning of a tune up and he did a week of IV antibiotics during that.Now 2 months later,He was given a mycin drug, is it really neccesary? Wouldn't the week worth of drugs he did have killed the infection? His sputum was yellow at the beginning of the tune up and white within a couple days...Sometimes I think all the drugs are overkill...and this is an onmonth for TOBI.</P>

C

cfgf28

<P></P>
<P>Bf was told he had a staph infection, but this was from a sputum culture that he gave at the beginning of a tune up and he did a week of IV antibiotics during that.Now 2 months later,He was given a mycin drug, is it really neccesary? Wouldn't the week worth of drugs he did have killed the infection? His sputum was yellow at the beginning of the tune up and white within a couple days...Sometimes I think all the drugs are overkill...and this is an onmonth for TOBI.</P>

C

cfgf28

<P></P>

carmick

You can kick a staph infection if you kill it off before it colonizes your lungs. Once you are dealing with a colonization, as far as I know the most you can do is attack it when it flares, but you can't eradicate it. However, it sounds like you are saying that the staph is new, and therefore it would be very important to hit it with everything he can so that it doesn't become a life-long problem. A one week course of antibiotics might not do it, so it makes sense to try a different class of antibiotics. These new antibiotics will attack the staph in a different way so bugs that weren't so damaged by the first course might be killed by the new drugs. BTW, Tobi has a pretty minimal effect on staph. He's probably taking it for pseudomonas.

carmick

You can kick a staph infection if you kill it off before it colonizes your lungs. Once you are dealing with a colonization, as far as I know the most you can do is attack it when it flares, but you can't eradicate it. However, it sounds like you are saying that the staph is new, and therefore it would be very important to hit it with everything he can so that it doesn't become a life-long problem. A one week course of antibiotics might not do it, so it makes sense to try a different class of antibiotics. These new antibiotics will attack the staph in a different way so bugs that weren't so damaged by the first course might be killed by the new drugs. BTW, Tobi has a pretty minimal effect on staph. He's probably taking it for pseudomonas.

carmick

C

cfgf28

As far as I know he has never had pseudomonas and the TOBI is just something they have him do every other month...The Cf doesn't affect his lungs as greatly as it does some people. He is more pancreatic insufficient... But I guess it does make sense to try a different kind of drug on the staph... I just didn't know if it would already be gone since it was 2 months ago that he had the sputum clture and they are just telling him the results now...And when he went to the pharmacy he found out the drugs were never called in...Ugh...

C

cfgf28

As far as I know he has never had pseudomonas and the TOBI is just something they have him do every other month...The Cf doesn't affect his lungs as greatly as it does some people. He is more pancreatic insufficient... But I guess it does make sense to try a different kind of drug on the staph... I just didn't know if it would already be gone since it was 2 months ago that he had the sputum clture and they are just telling him the results now...And when he went to the pharmacy he found out the drugs were never called in...Ugh...

C

cfgf28

You may want to ask for another sputum culture to see what levels the staff infection is after the completion of the mycin. My son has a colonized mrsa (staff) infection in his lungs and the cf doctors were not aggressive enough at the beginning of his culturing of the infection. Maybe if we'd been more aggressive my son wouldn't have to deal with this for the last 6 years.

Ask questions for SURE as to WHY are we taking these meds, WHAT do we expect it to do and HOW do we verify if it's working. Follow up with more cultures and ask not just for what infections culture, but what the levels are now and what the levels were previously. That info helps to determine what is working and what isn't necessary.

Good luck!

You may want to ask for another sputum culture to see what levels the staff infection is after the completion of the mycin. My son has a colonized mrsa (staff) infection in his lungs and the cf doctors were not aggressive enough at the beginning of his culturing of the infection. Maybe if we'd been more aggressive my son wouldn't have to deal with this for the last 6 years.

Ask questions for SURE as to WHY are we taking these meds, WHAT do we expect it to do and HOW do we verify if it's working. Follow up with more cultures and ask not just for what infections culture, but what the levels are now and what the levels were previously. That info helps to determine what is working and what isn't necessary.

Good luck!

Good luck!

C

cfgf28

Thanks for the suggegstion... he goes back in month i assume to have another sputum culture done, and they did one at his visit so hopefully we will know...im hoping he kicks it, he doesnt think hes ever had staph before. but he never asks questions

C

cfgf28

Thanks for the suggegstion... he goes back in month i assume to have another sputum culture done, and they did one at his visit so hopefully we will know...im hoping he kicks it, he doesnt think hes ever had staph before. but he never asks questions

C

cfgf28

hellen

As far as I know, staph infection is caused by the staph bacteria, a common type of bacteria that is normally harmless on the heath. However, the infection happens when those bacteria penetrate into the body and invade the organs such heart, lungs, bones and joints. The disease is divided into many different types but the most common one is skin staph infection. It must be careful with staph infection cause it can transfer from one person to anther easily. Antibiotics like methicillin are often used for treating staph infection. However, natural remedies may bring about you the better result without side effects.
To treat staph infection, you can use tea tree oil to clean the affected area. Moisten a cotton swab and drop some oil on it and then directly apply on the affected area for 2 hours. Also, you can replace by manuka honey which can bring to you the same result. Here're the information I found out:
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000686.htm
https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-staph-infection/
Hope it be useful for you! I had staph infection 3 month ago and antibiotics did not help me. Fortunely, I succeeded in getting rid of the infection thanks to tea tree oil with its amazing antibacterial properties.