Starting an exercise routine

ej0820

Hey guys!

I just recently started an exercise routine. My FEVs are in the 30s. I wanted to start exercising to not only get into shape, but to also see if, with some hard work and dedication, I could get that number higher.

I started doing pilates. I like it, but it didn't incorporate any kind of cardio. I got one of those "Walk off the Pounds" DVDs. I figured if I slip on my O2, I can walk pretty well as an exercise routine (I only use O2 at night). Well, this Walk DVD has way more cardio than I thought. I like it a lot though, it *seems* to be a good level of activity for me and it's easy to follow. I've only been able to "walk" one mile a day. My thing is, how do I know if I'm pushing myself too hard, too little or just right? I get pretty out of breath during the walks, but am able to keep going (though very low impact...I usually have to march in place while the instructor does jumps so I can catch up and/or follow the slower people on the DVD). I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else? Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?

Thanks!

ej0820

Hey guys!

I just recently started an exercise routine. My FEVs are in the 30s. I wanted to start exercising to not only get into shape, but to also see if, with some hard work and dedication, I could get that number higher.

I started doing pilates. I like it, but it didn't incorporate any kind of cardio. I got one of those "Walk off the Pounds" DVDs. I figured if I slip on my O2, I can walk pretty well as an exercise routine (I only use O2 at night). Well, this Walk DVD has way more cardio than I thought. I like it a lot though, it *seems* to be a good level of activity for me and it's easy to follow. I've only been able to "walk" one mile a day. My thing is, how do I know if I'm pushing myself too hard, too little or just right? I get pretty out of breath during the walks, but am able to keep going (though very low impact...I usually have to march in place while the instructor does jumps so I can catch up and/or follow the slower people on the DVD). I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else? Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?

Thanks!

ej0820

Hey guys!
<br />
<br />I just recently started an exercise routine. My FEVs are in the 30s. I wanted to start exercising to not only get into shape, but to also see if, with some hard work and dedication, I could get that number higher.
<br />
<br />I started doing pilates. I like it, but it didn't incorporate any kind of cardio. I got one of those "Walk off the Pounds" DVDs. I figured if I slip on my O2, I can walk pretty well as an exercise routine (I only use O2 at night). Well, this Walk DVD has way more cardio than I thought. I like it a lot though, it *seems* to be a good level of activity for me and it's easy to follow. I've only been able to "walk" one mile a day. My thing is, how do I know if I'm pushing myself too hard, too little or just right? I get pretty out of breath during the walks, but am able to keep going (though very low impact...I usually have to march in place while the instructor does jumps so I can catch up and/or follow the slower people on the DVD). I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else? Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?
<br />
<br />Thanks!

xin

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ej0820</b></i>
I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else?</end quote></div>

[ caveat: I'm not a medical pro. I'm just some dude. ]

Very good question. Keep in mind that target heart rate is generally accepted as a good baseline, but it's not perfect.

Out of curiosity, after calculating a "normal" target/max heart rate for yourself, are you able to reach target heart rate during workouts? If so, stick with that.

A more general rule of thumb is: pay attention to your body. After awhile you'll instinctively be able to tell how hard you're working by how your lungs, pulse, temperature, muscles, et al. are feeling. (You should still monitor your heart rate, though.)

Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?
</end quote></div>

Pay attention to both! If you're dizzy, on the verge of collapsing, or breathing feels painful, then slow down and take it easy.

xin

I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else?</end quote>

[ caveat: I'm not a medical pro. I'm just some dude. ]

Very good question. Keep in mind that target heart rate is generally accepted as a good baseline, but it's not perfect.

Out of curiosity, after calculating a "normal" target/max heart rate for yourself, are you able to reach target heart rate during workouts? If so, stick with that.

A more general rule of thumb is: pay attention to your body. After awhile you'll instinctively be able to tell how hard you're working by how your lungs, pulse, temperature, muscles, et al. are feeling. (You should still monitor your heart rate, though.)

Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?
</end quote>

Pay attention to both! If you're dizzy, on the verge of collapsing, or breathing feels painful, then slow down and take it easy.

xin

<br />I've tried to look this up online, and every site says to measure my heart rate during exercise and base it on my max heart rate. I found a formula to do this, but I'm working with damaged lungs and an O2 concentrator...should my max heart rate be calculated differently or should I follow something else?</end quote>
<br />
<br />[ caveat: I'm not a medical pro. I'm just some dude. ]
<br />
<br />Very good question. Keep in mind that target heart rate is generally accepted as a good baseline, but it's not perfect.
<br />
<br />Out of curiosity, after calculating a "normal" target/max heart rate for yourself, are you able to reach target heart rate during workouts? If so, stick with that.
<br />
<br />A more general rule of thumb is: pay attention to your body. After awhile you'll instinctively be able to tell how hard you're working by how your lungs, pulse, temperature, muscles, et al. are feeling. (You should still monitor your heart rate, though.)
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ej0820</b></i>
<br />Should I pay more attention to my pulseox rather than just my heart rate? How "out of breath" is a good or dangerous level?
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />Pay attention to both! If you're dizzy, on the verge of collapsing, or breathing feels painful, then slow down and take it easy.

Printer

Erin:

At my CF Center, I'm assigned a RT. He works with me on all matters "exercise".

You might look into something similar.

Bill

Printer

Erin:

At my CF Center, I'm assigned a RT. He works with me on all matters "exercise".

You might look into something similar.

Bill

Printer

Erin:
<br />
<br />At my CF Center, I'm assigned a RT. He works with me on all matters "exercise".
<br />
<br />You might look into something similar.
<br />
<br />Bill

VikaMaya

Exercise surely is considered the best for the human body in in order to go keeping it fit.... Well done in going for and describing as to what all exercise can result in for a human body....

VikaMaya

Exercise surely is considered the best for the human body in in order to go keeping it fit.... Well done in going for and describing as to what all exercise can result in for a human body....

VikaMaya

sharonbaker

Exercise play a wonderful role to make our body healthy and fit... Exercise play a great role in weight loss program. Thanks for such a great discussion... I am happy to visit again..... Keep it up...

sharonbaker

Exercise play a wonderful role to make our body healthy and fit... Exercise play a great role in weight loss program. Thanks for such a great discussion... I am happy to visit again..... Keep it up...

sharonbaker

smartandy

Doing exercise is very vital as it will boost the functions of your body and also your flow of blood. Working out for 45 minutes is good but beyond that, there are chances your body might tire out. Keep a limit.

smartandy

Doing exercise is very vital as it will boost the functions of your body and also your flow of blood. Working out for 45 minutes is good but beyond that, there are chances your body might tire out. Keep a limit.