Starting High School - What levels?

J

jayotto

My daughter will be starting High School, and right now I am trying to figure out what to do about her classes.

They have her signed up for K-Level classes (Honors) for English, World Geography, Geometry and Biology. Should I keep her in this level or should I have them drop her down to On-Level?

She has been hospitalized the last few years about 2 times per year. I do try and have her admitted during Summer and Christmas time to minimize the absences. Of course she usually has to miss days due to doctor appointments, stomach pains, etc.

She is smart, but I certainly do not want to put any added pressure on her. Any advice would be appreciated!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Are you in US? If so, if it were me (as the student), I'd rather be at appropriate level classes and have arrangements made to accomodate absences, etc., which can be done with US law. What does your daughter think or prefer?

Emer76

If she is an intelligent child and should be in honor classes I would let her take them. It will definitely help her with college. She can try it the first year and if you see she can't handle it she can go to on level . I agree with Aboveallislove, I had rather deal with the absences and be in the right level classes.

AmalynRose

Keep her in the higher level classes. She is going to have to learn how to deal with missing class work that is hard when she gets to college and it is much easier for her to learn that skill in high school.

W

welshwitch

I too vote with the hard classes! I went to an amazing college and couldn't have gotten that far if I hadn't pushed myself (and been pushed) to take classes that I could keep up with intellectually. Let her drop 1 if the schedule is too overwhelming...but seriously, I was an AP student and also fully involved in the Drama Department and those two things got me into a GREAT school. Missing class for dr. appointments, etc. was never a problem as long as I was proactive in making up the work.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Just want to say, I think she should be in the honors classes as well. You can always back off if it is too much. My son is finishing up his first year of high school and has been in a couple honors classes; and those are his favorites(he does not have CF). He is in with good, smart kids and they challenge each other. Keep their minds busy so they don't get into teenage trouble as well:)

My CF daughter is still young, elementary age but I can imagine it's hard to juggle; she is sick alot but very smart..She pushes herself. I do expect she will be in honors and I am sure she will need to have access to bring work home or tutors when she is sick. The principal joked once when I asked if it is ok if my daughter is absent when they do those standardized tests to score the school. She said it's fine but if my daughter isn't there their average may go down.

Calimom

Definitely have her take the harder classes if she wants to. No sense being bored just because she has cf!!