stat locks

S

semperfiohana

Has anyone had a picc placed and not had a stat lock or stitches placed? I just finished two weeks of IV's and where the stat lock was I have blisters. This has happened with my last two picc's.

Daverog75

Hello,

when they change the dressing you have to make sure the nurse waits until your arm is completely dry after the alcohol swabs to put the new dressing on. This has happened to me before.

Dave 37 w/cf

S

semperfiohana

That's what they said last year when I wound up with chemical burns underneath the dressing itself. This time around the blister are just where the stat lock was. I can't use the regular dressing in the kits they normally send you. I've done well with sorbaview dressing and not making me itch. I did find an article yesterday where it said a hospital was considering switching out their stat locks for the sorbaview dressings since it was cheaper. Especially since the stat lock has such and aggressive adhesive on it. The last dressing change I had the nurse made sure it was really dry because she remember me from last year. she went as far as to take sterile guaze and touch my skin to make sure it was dried all the way. My site did weep for a day despite the bio patch because I had a dressing change on Monday and the bio patch wasn't placed in the right spot. So i had it changed again on Tuesday. Sorry if any of that was confusing.

chris27rocker

Yeah, I've always had more trouble healing the blisters from the Stat-Lock than the PICC site itself. But it's still the best device I've had so far. The worst was this solid piece of hard molded plastic called "The Bone"...you can imagine how that went. I'm always worried about it pulling out, though; would a sorbaview alone hold it enough to be secure?

MichaelL

The hospital where I get my PICC lines has stopped using stat locks. They use a different type of adhesive cover that keeps the PICC in place. This isn't yet being used by home care, so I haven't actually had a chance to see how well it works.

robert321

I had a picc placed a couple years ago that the guy who placed it didn't like stat locks so he didn't put one on it. That picc pulled out half way in about 5 days and wouldn't wouldn't draw and was hard to flush so they replaced it. He had some other thing he put on it that he thought was somehow better. I suppose with some patients it would work but I just move around too much while I'm in the hospital.

MichaelL

semperfiohana -- yes, that's what they look like. I'm pretty sure they're the same. I haven't actually used one yet. I'm usually not too bad with itching.