Staying Positive

CaliSally

for you CF positive ppl, how do you stay motivated & so pepped up?

I'm not a doctor, but you are showing classic sign of depression.

Let me say this, people with depression have an extremely difficult time dealing with physical illnesses. There is nothing shameful in needing medicine for this.
Before a/d's I would say "I know everyone goes through hard times, but with me it's endless and I'm tired of it" Now, with a/d's I can deal with the daily stuff and never think those thoughts.

I had people tell me the same thing about feeling sorry for myself. I too felt the same way - NO, I'm just SICK and TIRED! Again, the anti depressants helped me overcome that feeling of hopelessness. That's what it is you're feeling - hopeless.

With depression, you loose the ability to find happiness in the things you onced enjoyed. I know, I had the same thing.
Depression is hard, but a/d's can make it manageable.
Just like breathing treatments and anti biotics make CF manageable (verses not having either of those options), same goes for a/d's.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider a/d's
I know you said you have a hard time with them, but there a so many out their to choose from. It did take me a few years to find the right one, only because I'd give up trying...but once I found the right one, man - Now I wish I had been on them the past 20 years - it would have saved my mind from a lot of anguish!

Living with untreated depression brings a ton of stress. Lots of stress bring more sickness and fatigue. Sickness and fatigue brings depression. Withouth sounding like a commercial: You can stop the cycle.

Please give them another try

P

PeteRose

I am 45 with CF and I have an extemely good attitude. I always try to stay positive. I am so thankful that none of my older brother and sisters were born with CF because I may not have had the priviledge of knowing them. I was diagnosed when I was 6 months old so I do not know what it is like to not have CF, so feeling sorry for myself is not and has never been an option. There are so many people in the world that have such sadness and grief in their lives. I am fortunate that I only have CF. I don't mean to make CF sound minimal, but I can walk, talk, see, hear, etc. I choose to think positive. I consider myself very lucky. As we all know with CF, sometimes it does not matter how hard you work at it, it sometimes kicks you in the butt. I am on home IV's now (part of the current PICC club!), but I cannot be upset about it. The weather here is crappy anyway so I would not be going anywhere anyway. This way I will feel really good before the weather breaks and I can get out and take a walk and appreciate all that is around me.

I have lost 2 brothers to other problems (cancer and heart attack), and that was absolutely horrible. I have also lost my father who was absolutelyt the most awesome Dad in the world. Instead of feeling bad, I just look at as CF has some major people in heaven fight to cure it now. (my believe - not putting it on anyone else). Yes, I miss them terribly everyday but I know that they were all really positive people. They lived their lives to the fullest and enjoyed everyday. What great role models they were to me.

As part of the older group around here I would love to be able to help people even more. I tend to be on the shy side, so I don't post very often but I would be glad to help anytime. Please lean on anyone on this board - we all appreciate you and all the people (patients, parents, significant others, etc) who help each other everyday.

Rosie 45 w/cf

P

PeteRose

I am 45 with CF and I have an extemely good attitude. I always try to stay positive. I am so thankful that none of my older brother and sisters were born with CF because I may not have had the priviledge of knowing them. I was diagnosed when I was 6 months old so I do not know what it is like to not have CF, so feeling sorry for myself is not and has never been an option. There are so many people in the world that have such sadness and grief in their lives. I am fortunate that I only have CF. I don't mean to make CF sound minimal, but I can walk, talk, see, hear, etc. I choose to think positive. I consider myself very lucky. As we all know with CF, sometimes it does not matter how hard you work at it, it sometimes kicks you in the butt. I am on home IV's now (part of the current PICC club!), but I cannot be upset about it. The weather here is crappy anyway so I would not be going anywhere anyway. This way I will feel really good before the weather breaks and I can get out and take a walk and appreciate all that is around me.

I have lost 2 brothers to other problems (cancer and heart attack), and that was absolutely horrible. I have also lost my father who was absolutelyt the most awesome Dad in the world. Instead of feeling bad, I just look at as CF has some major people in heaven fight to cure it now. (my believe - not putting it on anyone else). Yes, I miss them terribly everyday but I know that they were all really positive people. They lived their lives to the fullest and enjoyed everyday. What great role models they were to me.

As part of the older group around here I would love to be able to help people even more. I tend to be on the shy side, so I don't post very often but I would be glad to help anytime. Please lean on anyone on this board - we all appreciate you and all the people (patients, parents, significant others, etc) who help each other everyday.

Rosie 45 w/cf

P

PeteRose

Rosie 45 w/cf

Happiness is a choice.
Turn everything to a positive. say I am 44 years young instead of 44 years old.
Surround yourself with positive people, music, happy colors, etc.
Do the things you emjoy.
Exercise
Relax
look at what you have instead of what you don't have. How many pairs of shoes, purses, and clothes do you have? Do you have food, electricity, a house, a computer, furniture etc?
Do you have a job?
You get the ideal.
Just think about all the people that don't have what you have.
Seek out God and read the Bible.

Happiness is a choice.
Do the things you emjoy.
Exercise
Relax
look at what you have instead of what you don't have. How many pairs of shoes, purses, and clothes do you have? Do you have food, electricity, a house, a computer, furniture etc?
Do you have a job?
You get the ideal.

Happiness is a choice.
Do the things you emjoy.
Exercise
Relax
Do you have a job?
You get the ideal.

JazzysMom

There is no ?? that at times it is more difficult. I agree that its not necessarily just the age, but the amount you deal with also. Even if being fairly healthy and having to do treatments for 50 years or watching your diet, testing your sugars etc......it can take a toll. Your ?? is not easily answered because everyone's coping skills are different. Many people rely on their faith where that doesnt mean a thing to me. Many people need people with them right by their side thru thick & thin which doesnt mean a thing to me. TO me....its realizing after feeling sorry for myself that I have it damn good. Do I struggle to breath at times..YES! Do I cough up blood at times..YES! Do I hate seeing the scared look on my daughters face when she hears I have to go into the hospital...YES! Does that keep me down...NO! I know for a fact that if I let the reality of CF hold me down that I wouldo be dead by now. CF will kill me soon enough physically. I dont/wont let it kill me too much earlier emotionally! I had a time that I was scared because my "down" time lasted for an extra long time. Some people need to seek help professionally. Some need counseling or meds. Some dont. BUT it seems obvious that your faith isnt pulling you out at the moment so maybe you do need to look to other areas for help. Coming here is a great start. Some say that your attitude is sour and maybe it is....that is part of the cycle. My ?? is how can we help you break that cycle. I guess I just talked in circles here. I just want you to know there is no definitive answer for you. Everyone is different!

JazzysMom

There is no ?? that at times it is more difficult. I agree that its not necessarily just the age, but the amount you deal with also. Even if being fairly healthy and having to do treatments for 50 years or watching your diet, testing your sugars etc......it can take a toll. Your ?? is not easily answered because everyone's coping skills are different. Many people rely on their faith where that doesnt mean a thing to me. Many people need people with them right by their side thru thick & thin which doesnt mean a thing to me. TO me....its realizing after feeling sorry for myself that I have it damn good. Do I struggle to breath at times..YES! Do I cough up blood at times..YES! Do I hate seeing the scared look on my daughters face when she hears I have to go into the hospital...YES! Does that keep me down...NO! I know for a fact that if I let the reality of CF hold me down that I wouldo be dead by now. CF will kill me soon enough physically. I dont/wont let it kill me too much earlier emotionally! I had a time that I was scared because my "down" time lasted for an extra long time. Some people need to seek help professionally. Some need counseling or meds. Some dont. BUT it seems obvious that your faith isnt pulling you out at the moment so maybe you do need to look to other areas for help. Coming here is a great start. Some say that your attitude is sour and maybe it is....that is part of the cycle. My ?? is how can we help you break that cycle. I guess I just talked in circles here. I just want you to know there is no definitive answer for you. Everyone is different!

JazzysMom

clinging2faith

CRUCIFIED for posting "how to stay positive through decades of cf

Cali Saly

It very well is depression but not of the chemical in the brain type. THIS IS GRIEF DEPRESSION I have had off and on since my dad died. Some people have said to me, "my dad died and im fine' Im glad really because its not easy nor nice to loose one's dad if he was an excellent dad, which mine was. When a person has a lot of love for someone it is not someting that will go away instantly when the person loved has passed away. Its a process one goes through.

my adored dad died over a year ago along with all my uncles (his brothers) my mother getting cancer, my sister dying suddenly. Before they died and when I always had their support and love on crucial days of my cf life I could just breeze it through. Not anymore. I do my part and more but its much harder now to go to the hospital and have none of the loved ones departed show up,
or call to be with me by phone. Hearing their support was essential .

I do have some good days and do have activities that give me a lot of joy, its just when im depressed missing my loved ones.

I've stayed away from the medications because my sister died thanks to prozac complications or side effects. And I tried antidepressant before and it was not helpful. My body is veyr sensitive to many medications.

Right now is a difficult time and I am sorry if I have been honest about my feelings here , I came here because in my home and with the people i know and work with i have to act tough as if I did not have cf, so i ignore my own feelings on cf and other. But there is a limit. And one's toughness can take its toll when one is ill. I have my inner worries and i feel down unable to dial to my dad and get his advice and other. I thought why not try to find out and get to hear other cf ppl . Now I've heard.

clinging2faith

Cali Saly

It very well is depression but not of the chemical in the brain type. THIS IS GRIEF DEPRESSION I have had off and on since my dad died. Some people have said to me, "my dad died and im fine' Im glad really because its not easy nor nice to loose one's dad if he was an excellent dad, which mine was. When a person has a lot of love for someone it is not someting that will go away instantly when the person loved has passed away. Its a process one goes through.

my adored dad died over a year ago along with all my uncles (his brothers) my mother getting cancer, my sister dying suddenly. Before they died and when I always had their support and love on crucial days of my cf life I could just breeze it through. Not anymore. I do my part and more but its much harder now to go to the hospital and have none of the loved ones departed show up,

I do have some good days and do have activities that give me a lot of joy, its just when im depressed missing my loved ones.

I've stayed away from the medications because my sister died thanks to prozac complications or side effects. And I tried antidepressant before and it was not helpful. My body is veyr sensitive to many medications.

Right now is a difficult time and I am sorry if I have been honest about my feelings here , I came here because in my home and with the people i know and work with i have to act tough as if I did not have cf, so i ignore my own feelings on cf and other. But there is a limit. And one's toughness can take its toll when one is ill. I have my inner worries and i feel down unable to dial to my dad and get his advice and other. I thought why not try to find out and get to hear other cf ppl . Now I've heard.

clinging2faith

Cali Saly

CaliSally

True depression is chemical - it has nothing to do with how much positive attitude you may or may not have.

I tried everything in my power to overcome the depression, NOTHING aleviated it. I FORCED myself to go out and be with friends - didn't help one bit to cure the shear devastation I felt inside, dispite the fact that I could still laugh on the outside. I prayed, I helped others...I did everything other said I needed to do. I didn't live with the Eeyore syndrome "thanks for noticing me..." ...I was happy on the outside, no one knew I was suffering on the inside, no one understood the pain.

If your body needed insulin, would you deny it, saying "with my positive attitude, I will overcome diabetes"?
No - that would be ludicrous.
Just as the rest of our bodies can break down and not work as well as it should, so can happen with our minds. Our minds are made up of flesh and blood, just like the rest of us. It isn't a computer to program, we are not robots.

<b>A positive attitude helps, yes! But it can't "cure" true depression </b>

...Just my notes regarding true depression verses "a positive attitude"...

CaliSally

True depression is chemical - it has nothing to do with how much positive attitude you may or may not have.

I tried everything in my power to overcome the depression, NOTHING aleviated it. I FORCED myself to go out and be with friends - didn't help one bit to cure the shear devastation I felt inside, dispite the fact that I could still laugh on the outside. I prayed, I helped others...I did everything other said I needed to do. I didn't live with the Eeyore syndrome "thanks for noticing me..." ...I was happy on the outside, no one knew I was suffering on the inside, no one understood the pain.

If your body needed insulin, would you deny it, saying "with my positive attitude, I will overcome diabetes"?
Just as the rest of our bodies can break down and not work as well as it should, so can happen with our minds. Our minds are made up of flesh and blood, just like the rest of us. It isn't a computer to program, we are not robots.

CaliSally

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CaliSally</b></i>

...Just my notes regarding true depression verses "a positive attitude"...</end quote></div>

I just wanted to say that I agree with this. IF it was as easy as being positive she wouldnt be comning here looking for help. Positive thoughts have their place no ??...but like you said if its chemical then it wont fix it!