stretching

robert321

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt;">Does anyone stretch the muscles around their rib cage to loosen them up and breathe better? Here in lockup I was at pt today and the therapist showed me some stretches that focus on the upper spine and rib muscles that after about 15 minutes of doing them I seriously felt like I had just finished a breathing treatment. I don't know how to describe them in writing but it would definitely be worth your time. Lay on your side and reach your arm to stretch the muscles around your rib cage, if you feel it much in your arm or lower back adjust until you feel the stretch mostly in your ribs. I was trying to find a good article online about it but I couldn't find one. I've always been the sort that never put much stock into PT for cf patients but this legitimately works. If someone knows what I'm talking about and can do a better job of describing it or knows of an article it your imput would be appreciated

robert321

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt;">Does anyone stretch the muscles around their rib cage to loosen them up and breathe better? Here in lockup I was at pt today and the therapist showed me some stretches that focus on the upper spine and rib muscles that after about 15 minutes of doing them I seriously felt like I had just finished a breathing treatment. I don't know how to describe them in writing but it would definitely be worth your time. Lay on your side and reach your arm to stretch the muscles around your rib cage, if you feel it much in your arm or lower back adjust until you feel the stretch mostly in your ribs. I was trying to find a good article online about it but I couldn't find one. I've always been the sort that never put much stock into PT for cf patients but this legitimately works. If someone knows what I'm talking about and can do a better job of describing it or knows of an article it your imput would be appreciated

rmotion

I have a "stretch stick" that I made to do so, works great to stretch the interstitial muscles.
It is bascically a broom stick with foam padding wrapped around it (like a swim noodle or plumbing pipe insulation).
I taped it with duct tape and it works to stretch my arms and back and shoulders.

rmotion

I have a "stretch stick" that I made to do so, works great to stretch the interstitial muscles.
It is bascically a broom stick with foam padding wrapped around it (like a swim noodle or plumbing pipe insulation).
I taped it with duct tape and it works to stretch my arms and back and shoulders.

mamerth

I find if I stretch my back and loosen up some of the muscles I can breath better. I haven't had better lung functions due to it though.

I don't have the best posture and things get "crunched" and I can't breath as deeply as I should when I am hunched over. Laying on the floor and stretching my upper body as far as it will go really helps. I have some cartilage in my ribs that pop and snap. Sometimes it feels like once they do I can breath better. I think it expands the rib cage.... just my theory.

mamerth

I find if I stretch my back and loosen up some of the muscles I can breath better. I haven't had better lung functions due to it though.

I don't have the best posture and things get "crunched" and I can't breath as deeply as I should when I am hunched over. Laying on the floor and stretching my upper body as far as it will go really helps. I have some cartilage in my ribs that pop and snap. Sometimes it feels like once they do I can breath better. I think it expands the rib cage.... just my theory.

imported_Momto2

Yup, I stretch my back, shoulders, intercostals, etc everyday. If I dont, the muscles get so tight I start fracturing one rib after another.... Massages are great too.

imported_Momto2

Yup, I stretch my back, shoulders, intercostals, etc everyday. If I dont, the muscles get so tight I start fracturing one rib after another.... Massages are great too.

Like everyone has said stretching is very good. If you think about it if muscle tightness is stopping you from taking deep breaths it paves the way for areas to receive poorer air entry and infection. I think this is an area that often gets over looked in CF right down poor posture as well. I am lucky to have had a physio who was passionate about this and got me into good routines. Stretching is just so important. I have a few 'favourites' using physio rolls (a fat foam roll) that can be used for intercostals (and many other things including self massage) and also stretching over a fit ball. Yoga is also great.

Like everyone has said stretching is very good. If you think about it if muscle tightness is stopping you from taking deep breaths it paves the way for areas to receive poorer air entry and infection. I think this is an area that often gets over looked in CF right down poor posture as well. I am lucky to have had a physio who was passionate about this and got me into good routines. Stretching is just so important. I have a few 'favourites' using physio rolls (a fat foam roll) that can be used for intercostals (and many other things including self massage) and also stretching over a fit ball. Yoga is also great.