Success killing Stenotrophomonas Maltophilia with TOBI Pod Inhaler

myfanwy

We've had a rough year dealing with the colonization of a new bug, Stenotrophomonas Maltophilia which is quite med resistant. They did an experiment on my daughter's sputum in a petri dish with TIP(TOBI Pod Inhaler) which is normally used to eradicate Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. and it killed some Steno! We started using the TIP on June 28th and our sputum sample from July 26th shows that the bacteria count has gone from 10 to the power of 4 to 10 to the power of 3. It's working!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, did you ever use regular Tobi prior to this? DS has cultured Steno Malt in the past. Has been on Tobi for year after culturing Pseudomonas A. The lab results always show steno malt is sensitive to a completely different class of drugs. He was put on Septra DS (double strength sulfatrim) for it.

myfanwy

Our doctors don't want to put my daughter on Septra. They want to save it for hospital use only. We used inhaled TOBI solution in the past to eradicate successfully Pseudomonas A. I just thought it would be helpful to share clinical proof that TIP is working on Steno.