Suggested feeding schedules-6 month old

wynter

Looking for any suggestions/examples of feeding schedules. I want to make sure he gets the best nutrition, stays hydrated and gets all of his vitamins and salt. He currently breastfeeds,eats oatmeal and fruit in the am, rice cereal and homemade veggie baby food in the pm, and 1 bottle with his vitamin, formula (for extra calories) and 1/8 tsp of salt. He usually gets up 1x per night to feed as well, but hopefully that will be changing soon. Just want to see what other moms out there are doing.

TIA!

First time mom of a beautiful 6month old with CF, ddF508

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Because DS had issues gaining weight and could really care less about eating, we fed him extra calorie formula (more powder to water ratio), every 3-4 hours. We kept him on formula until he was about 18 months old since that was his primary source for nutrition. Once he was able to eat solid food, his doctor wanted us to grind up pretty much whatever we were eating as babyfood is low in fat and sodium. So at daycare they ground up hot dishes, etc and we did, too. However, I also doctored up baby food -- added salt, butter, olive oil. He liked stage 2 ham and turkey & mac and cheese, oatmeal with apples. Also greek yogurt or whole milk yogurt. I still got up in the middle of the night for an extra feeding for the first year. I think Rebjane BF on demand for a long time -- not sure what she did in terms of solids. We never added vitamins or salt to his bottles -- he got vitamins thru an oral syringe and salt was added to his food.

H

heidikk

At 6mo, my son didn't do very well with adding in other foods. His bowels just weren't ready for it yet. At several points along the way, I was nursing him literally every single hour to try to get him to gain weight in a way that didn't sabotage his GI health. Thankfully, now at 9 1/2 mo, the slow adding in of new things is going better. He does still eat once or twice a night and I'm not in too much of a hurry to make him give it up, nor the nursing either. If I can keep him nursing til he's past 2, I'll be thankful for it.

Dowling

Pm me if u want. I had a ton of delicious , HEALTHY baby food recipes for CFers. I did a ton of research with a nutritionist ( not the dietician in the clinic)