Super dry cough at night

missmary083

Has anyone else ever had a bad dry cough at night? It doesn't wake me up. It's when I wake up to go to the bathroom. My chest is super tight and then I start coughing until I bring something up or move the junk around which is usually really thick at night... I am also 5 mths pregnant which could be some of the problem. I also have asthma to. Any suggestions on how to help would be great thanks.

W

welshwitch

A few things I do when this happens:

*Ice water
*A snack
*A long walk or run during the day, to get stuff up so there's not so much junk at night.

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

ethan508

My wife makes a 'tea' of water, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and cinnamon that seems to help calm a dry hack. I think the real critical parts of the juice are the 'warm' and the fluid. Staying properly hydrated seems to always be a challenge and the warm fluid relaxes all the muscles and tissues in the throat and chest. When the family has coughs/colds she'll keep small crock pot of the stuff stewing, so it is warm and available at all hours.

jaimers

Super Moderator
That happens to me sometimes. I'll wake up with this tickle in my throat and can't stop coughing but it's not productive at all. Drinking something warm as Ethan suggested or doing some albuterol and then hypertonic saline are generally the two things that work for me.

imported_Momto2

Drinking something supercold or eating generally helps me too. Sometimes albuterol just makes it worse, in my case. Frustrating! Makes you not want to get up and use the bathroom.....totally understand. Good luck with your pregnancy and congrats!!!!!!!

W

windex125

I as well suffer very bad just about every day with the dry hacking it can go on for hrs. I've tried warm water with lemon, ice water, or cold selzer, puffer, inhale a albuterol nothing is working lately. I wait to eat anything as it usually leads to vomiting, then its quiet. this has been going on since the beginning of the year. Also at bedtime when I put my o2 on things start flowing and that keeps me up for a good half hr. I prop myself up and wait for it to past. I'm getting so annoyed with this lately.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Windex, do you nebulizer albuterol or or use an inhaler? For my little guy, switching to the moist form of albuterol by nebulizing it made a noticeable difference.

K

kenna2

I've had this and it's horrible. Mine was due to really bad acid reflux, which could be your case. If you can take something like Nexium or Priolsec, it might make a difference. Some natural things you can try are sleeping with your head propped up at a 40 degree angle, a humidifier, a really good drink is a cup of warm water with a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice, or try taking something that will help you sleep through the night. I actually had to get surgery to fix my reflux, but these were all the things that my doctor suggested and they did work for me for a short amount of time. Congratulations and good luck!

W

windex125

Yes I nebulize the albuterol but I have to admit I'm so tired if I wake I use the puffer first which is by my bedside, as my machine is in the basementwith my vest and computor and I don't feel like getting up. So I'm to blame some what. I also take Ambien to sleep, and when the coughing wakes me I am so angry as I know that's it I'm gonna see the sun come up.

Ank

I think it might b bcoz u r not able to clear up your lungs.or due to increased infection. Have you change ur time of nebulisation??
Cough inside chest bcomes greener and hard .
Best would be to take albuterol.

Changing nebulizer timing might help.