Superfoods

kenna2

I just read an article about a super food for CF that's called mauka honey. It's supposed to help with a lot of things. Just being curious, has anyone used this or does anyone have any recommendations of a super food that they use that works for them?

AnnaWegfahrt

Never tried it or heard of mauka honey until I read your post. Though, for inflammation I juice turmeric and ginger root and take a small shot of it as often as I can. It's VERY strong, but after I take it my lungs feel so much better as well as my digestion. It works better when you do it daily if possible. You can also chop them up and incorporate it into as many meals as you can if you don't have access to a juicer. Hope that helps!

Hardak

Local raw honey will help with seasonal/plant allergies, a spoon full or so a day should keep you from having nearly as badly of a reaction.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Manuka Honey, being dyslexic, the missing "n" wasn't even noticed by me. I'll bite, or whatever you do with honey, I guess swallowing it is the point. Just so I didn't sound like a complete idiot, I Googled "Manuka Honey". It's another very interesting and natural product. In general, allergy therapy from locally grown honey has been known for a long time. Like some of the specialized strains of Cannabis discovered and sold in Colorado, well tuned recipes of CBD's, THC and other cannabinoids are proving to be quite extraordinary. Science isn't some misguided philosophy where we toss away helpful agents in purifying a drug. Quite the opposite. Eliminating harmful agents responsible for many bad, even intolerable side effects make a drug successful. We're learning something about complimentary agents that improve a drug's effect.

Personally, I am fascinated by honey. Growing up in Wyoming, I was amazed by the number of bees�� for two reasons. Wildflowers burst into bloom and for about 6 weeks, the high plateaus are so beautiful, the variety of colors blanket every patch of prairie that caught the winter's wind blown snow. Flowers so tiny a bee barely pauses, to deep spurred Columbine, Blue Bells and bluebonnets that attract bees and humming birds. The wind doesn't stop blowing in Wyoming, it just slows for the brief summer. How on Earth bees can make it through the year on such a short season and the endurance to fly in the wind is beyond me. Bees and honey predate the written word and special honey has been known at least since the first writing.

As for the Manuka plants of New Zealand and surrounding areas, honey from the flowers is rumored to help fight Pseudomonas a. and other super bugs. I hope that it does. Beyond that, honey has topical uses like treating wounds. Honey, covering a wound and protected with a bandage can be the difference between keeping and losing the battle against infection in an emergency. It works well without any emergency too. I realized something more than soothing about honey and a sore throat. I make a thick solution of honey and coat my throat as long as it's practical.

Honey depends a great deal on where the bees hunt and find pollen. West Virginia, in fact a lot of the East coast is home to plants of the dogbane family, rhododendron, oleander and such can make some deadly honey. Fortunately the areas that have enough plants are watched, even intentionally planted for study of this odd absorption of toxins. Bees in a poppy field could have difficulty making it back to the hive.

I'm really fascinated by honey for medical reasons, drug delivery being one area. My rule of thumb is don't spend too much money on any cure, supplement and such. I take 7 supplements and 14 prescriptions. I'm pretty cautious about adding to it. I am interested in Manuka Honey and have purchased some. I have some super bugs and if I can get a break, I'll see how it performs.

LL

stylecomfy

Hi everyone, we published a blog about Honey on this site a few months ago, it touches on some of the potential benefits of Manuka honey in CF specifically (many of which LittleLab4CF pointed out above).The blog has some links to further reading, if anyone is interested check it out:

http://cysticfibrosis.com/honey-benefits/

kenna2

Thank you guys for your input. I'm really liking the honey and finally got used to the taste. I've been doing a tablespoon right before I go to bed each night. I've tried reading several articles about how much I should take and the frequency, but all of them say different things so, that's been kind of a challenge. I just did a sputum culture yesterday and am anxious to see how it comes back. I've been on the honey for about 2 weeks and am currently on a Coli month inhaled wise.

DanfromIL

My suggestion would be to ignore all these alternative remedies. The Food and Drug Administration here in the U.S. was given the task of overseeing the medicines being sold because shysters were taking advantage of sick people's desperation and selling them "miracle cures" that didn't work. And when the cure didn't work, there was no way for people to get their money back. (I am not suggesting that the people who posted on here or are sharing their experiences are shysters. But the people creating the products are.) The history of "medicine", before the scientific method was used, is a horrible account of false cures. Remember that in the old days they used to bleed people to remove the 'bad blood' that they thought was making people sick. And they thought disease was caused by an imbalance of "biles". Things only changed when governments stepped in and demanded that people who were selling so-called "cures" actually PROVED that the thing they were selling not only worked, but did no harm. The randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled scientific experiment is the gold standard in showing whether something works or not. And, it must be tested by people who aren't going to gain financially whether it is shown to work or not. That's why drug companies have to hire doctors and hospitals to carry out drug trials. But so many supplements and alternative cures are hyped by the people who would make money from them. Please also remember that the placebo effect IS REAL. If you think something is going to make you better, for a time it actually will -- because the brain has a powerful effect on the body. So one person's testimony that something worked for them is not a reliable gauge, because they may well have been experiencing the placebo effect. Don't waste your good money on something that hasn't been PROVEN to work! If these supplements really worked, why don't the people who make them submit them to real scientific testing by doctors and hospitals?? The supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar industry ($32 billion in 2013). They've got the money to conduct real science. But they don't. So I strongly urge you, don't spend much money on them. Also, check the NIH's website called the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. The U.S. and other governments (and universities) have tested some of these things, and some are actually bad for you. I bought some essential oil from a friend's wife a while back -- tea tree oil a.k.a. malaleuca. Her book said I could take it in water as an anti-infection agent. When I got home, I found that the NCCIH website showed that it is actually harmful to ingest it. Twenty bucks down the drain, and if I had taken it, it would've actually been BAD for me. If something hasn't been proven scientifically to work, then there is no meaningful evidence that it does. Trust your doctor and nurse and the CF Foundation. With everyone else, beware.

Last edited:

kenna2

Thank you for your concern DanfromIL. However, I'm not looking for supplements, just foods that will give you an extra boost. I do understand the risks to trying new things, which is why I research everything (medical or non medical related) before I buy things. Manuka honey has quite a number of different scientific studies that have been done on it's properties and all have shown to be effective. We don't have Manuka honey here in the US, because those trees don't grow here. The reason why I asked is there are lots of different standard treatments depending on where people live. I remember someone saying that taking the NAC vitamins are a standard treatment in their CF clinics where they live (outside of the US). There are many different foods in this world that are rich in different things that might not be something you would find in an everyday supermarket. That's what I am looking for. Foods I feel on the spectrum of things to try are a bit safer, because either way you still gain something from eating it. We all need food to survive.

Last edited: